case length - how critical?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#46: Re: case length - how critical? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:18 pm
    ----
Well there ya go. Never let it be said that you can't learn anything more in life. I just learnt something then. Thanks Woodster.

Cheers, Vince

#47: Re: case length - how critical? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:53 pm
    ----
Woods, excellent illustrations! Thanks!

#48: Re: case length - how critical? Author: twofiftyLocation: BC Rockies PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:55 pm
    ----
Thanks to all - and to the Mikes - you've learned me a bunch.
Will order a trimmer on Monday and be trimming by Thursday.

#49: Re: case length - how critical? Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:17 am
    ----
twofifty wrote:
Thanks to all - and to the Mikes - you've learned me a bunch.
Will order a trimmer on Monday and be trimming by Thursday.

Don't forget:

Trim the cases AFTER resizing & not before.

#50: Re: case length - how critical? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:51 am
    ----
Yup...What that Mike says too...

#51: Re: case length - how critical? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:24 am
    ----
Pictures are worth a.............................................................................

I think twofifty can see things a little better now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So alot of you like the FCD for rifles??? ( I was unaware of the collet until this post)

Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#52: Re: case length - how critical? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:52 am
    ----
I use the FCD on .30-30 extensively. It insures that I won't collapse the case during crimping and gives a more firm and uniform crimp... The .30-30 case seems to be rather weak or soft at the shoulder and the Lee FCD solvers this problem...I seat the bullet with the seating die adjusted for no crimp and crimp as a seperate operation with the FCD.

#53: Re: case length - how critical? Author: twofiftyLocation: BC Rockies PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 pm
    ----
Case trimmer came in Friday afternoon and am experimenting with it now.
The Hornady Cam-Lock trimmer is solid, well machined, well featured. Pretty slick actually.

Thanks again.

#54: Re: case length - how critical? Author: sagebrushsniperLocation: central wyoming PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
    ----
Being a little new to the conversation, but having reloaded for over thirty years, the trimming of cases has a lot of different reason as to why they are stretching. First what cal. are we talking about, sescond how hot of load do we have, and why are we crimping it. Does it require it? The only loads I crimp are my revolver loads. My .338 Win. Mag. in which I use Nosler Part. Don't have a cannalure grove. In all of my manuals it gives all the reason to trim and when. Also if I'm justneck resizing it lengthens the firings between trimming. Also idf anyone is planning a deer or goat hunt here in Wy. it close to time to have them apps. in. You can't get a better bargain as for the reduced doe/fawn licenses for goats or deer.

#55: Re: case length - how critical? Author: twofiftyLocation: BC Rockies PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:32 pm
    ----
Ok, so now I've put 120 cases through the Hornady Cam-Lock trimmer, so I will do a bit of a review on this tool.

There is a substantial cast alum base, machined flat, and steel head and tailstocks with steel adjustment knobs, all very well machined and finished.

It only took about half a dozen cases to creep up to the case length I wanted, then carefully lock the setting. Best thing is that 19 of 20 cases come out exactly to spec, while some are .0005" to .001" longer. The length setting does not drift from session to session, nor do the results.

I've trimmed by applying light pressure on the handle where it takes 30 to 40 turns, and heavy pressure where 3 to 4 aggressive cuts gets the job done quickly. Either way, the results are the same except that I learned to ease off on the heavy pressure before the end so as get a smooth and regular final pass. So this tool is adaptable and responds to changes in technique.

The so-called 'micrometer' actually is a fine thread adjuster that gives repeatable increases or decreases in cut length, but without a vernier-type scale to help you dial a number in. You have to develop a feel for it, but it responds linearly.

The tailstock is easily adjusted for length. There is a lube port drilled into the headstock, which took a drop or two of light oil every 25 cases.

The cam-lock cartridge holder is very slick, fast and secure and requires a half-turn to release/lock the cartridge base. The pilot bearing at the tool steel cutter is smooth and does a good job of supporting the neck square to the cutter. A carbide cutter is sold separately.

The handle is quite comfortable and I like the height above the bench.

#56: Re: case length - how critical? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:57 pm
    ----
Twofifty, good review!

-> Reloading Ammunition