Turret Press
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Turret Press Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:15 pm
    ----
I think I'm gonna start loading .45 rounds . I have bin shootin alot more with my buddys. I have a RCBS single stage press. I think I might get a turret press for doin .45 rounds. Witch one though ? Very Happy . The RCBS turret or the LEE Classic Turret. All opinions welcome ( I may regret sayin that Very Happy )
Joe

#2: Re: Turret Press Author: dust54Location: Gurley, AL PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:59 pm
    ----
I would recommed the Dillion RL 550. I wished I had the money to put into reloading, but I do fine with my RCBS Rock Chucker.

#3: Re: Turret Press Author: GUTSLocation: South Dakota PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:50 pm
    ----
Joe, are you looking for a turret press or a progressive. I use a Redding T-7 turret press so I can keep at least three different sets of dies on it all the time, it cuts down on the resetting of the dies. I really like it and it's built like a tank.

#4: Re: Turret Press Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:32 pm
    ----
I'm looking for a faster way. My buddys and I are shooting 300-500 rounds at a time so I figured I would start reloading and save some money. I thought the turret press's were faster than the single stage I'm only familiar with my Single stage Rock Chucker. I don't want to spend a truck load of money for a press ( I'm on the cheap side ) the Lee pro 1000 didn't look to bad either. Just trying to figure out whats available Very Happy
Joe

#5: Re: Turret Press Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:44 pm
    ----
on the last DreamTime, when average citizen of the Great Land of Oz were allowed to shoot .45 caliber, I use Dillon Square Deal to load my 45.
They are very well made, very solid and can withstand abuses.
Plus the carbide dies made reloading much easier (if you forgot or too lazy to clean your brass)

On the other hand, my mate David Moore (one of the athlete representing Australia in the Olympic shooting) is loading with a Lee 1000
He is into serious shooting and burn up close to 4000 rounds a week.
That to me is a proof that the damned thing works and FAST..
If only they were made more solid... I hate the springy feel on them.

Why don't you find a mate that have them presses and try lo load up a batch.
That way you could feel the press better before you buy.

#6: Re: Turret Press Author: GUTSLocation: South Dakota PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:46 pm
    ----
From the opinions I've read on progressive presses, most guys seem to think the Dillons are the best. I've been considering getting one myself to load .223 with, because I go through about a thousand a month(I do a lot of bump-firing with my M4's). The rest of the calibers(.308, 30-30, 270, and .375H&H), I load for accuracy so I take my time.

#7: Re: Turret Press Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:01 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:

On the other hand, my mate David Moore (one of the athlete representing Australia in the Olympic shooting) is loading with a Lee 1000
He is into serious shooting and burn up close to 4000 rounds a week.
That to me is a proof that the damned thing works and FAST..
If only they were made more solid... I hate the springy feel on them.

Why don't you find a mate that have them presses and try lo load up a batch.
That way you could feel the press better before you buy.

I wish I did no someone that had one, how easy is the 1000 to change dies on ?.

GUTS wrote:

I've been considering getting one myself to load .223 with, because I go through about a thousand a month(I do a lot of bump-firing with my M4's).

One of my next buys will be a M4 so that was a thought of mine as well. Try and get set up now for the .45 and when I get the M4 I can turn out some ammo for it as well Very Happy
Joe

#8: Re: Turret Press Author: GUTSLocation: South Dakota PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm
    ----
Here's my next batch of .223, sized and separated.

And some of my semi-autos.

#9: Re: Turret Press Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:44 am
    ----
Joe, I used a Lee Pro 1000 to reload for .357 Mag for some years and loved it. Taking it easy I easily churned out a few hundred loaded rounds per hour.

Only problems I had was the chain used for the powder throw...broke it a couple of times, but very easily fixed, and you have to...read MUST... keep the primer tray filled, well at least 20 or 30 in the tray, otherwise there isn't enough weight behind the primers to push them down to prime the next case. It is good practice to keep the rotating shell holder clean as well, mainly of powder granules...a vacuum is good for this. You obviously will need to swap primer punch to change from SP to LP...again easy. The shell holder is also easily changed to change calibre.

As for changing dies...purchase an extra "3 Hole Turret" and keep your dies set up for another calibre. They almost drop in and lift out...only about a 1/3 of a turn to unlock. Only thing you will need to do is move the powder throw and "charge through die".

Lee Pro 1000

I have only heard good things about the Dillon product, but have never actually owned any.

#10: Re: Turret Press Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:17 am
    ----
[quote="shrpshtrjoe"]

[I wish I did no someone that had one, how easy is the 1000 to change dies on ?.]

It's easy to change the dies on the Lee 1000 even without the different turret, but changing the shell plate to match different rim sizes is a different matter. I currently have two 1000s that have served very well for years...but when they finally die I will probably replace them with a Lee Loadmaster. They can be found around $200 and supposedly, changing dies and shell holders takes about 10 minutes. Besides, having the extra stations allows you to use a "powder cop" and crimp after sizing...very important and convenient with cast bullets.

#11: Re: Turret Press Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:54 am
    ----
Joe...You've seen this before, but....

I can load, if I start with clean cases, about 100 handgun rounds an hour on this setup. That includes priming on the single stage press. I also weigh every powder charge that I drop. (others don't). I load a lot of .45 ACP...(9mm X 19, .38 Special, .357 magnum, .30-30 and .30-06)

If you decide on the Lee turret, get the Classic Cast Turret. Cost a bit more but highly worth it. I will be up grading my Lee 20 year old Classic Turret for the "Cast" hopefully next year. Progressives might be the cats meow, but I'm just not in that much of a hurry to have a mistake that I missed in the mass production process...But that's just me. I have never liked drinking the blue Kool-aid. Could never figure out what fruit it came from...

#12: Re: Turret Press Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
Thanks for the responces guys. Cabelas has the Lee 1000 with a choice of dies set up and ready to go for $ 140.99. I'm not sure witch way to go. With shooting the .45 more and my next purchase hopfuly will me a M4 I'm gonna be burning up some ammo so it would be nice to be able to churn out some rounds.
Joe

#13: Re: Turret Press Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:47 pm
    ----
Hornady L-N-L AP mate.

Built like a brick s*** house & they have an offer where you get 1,000 free bullets: Free bullets
You get a powder measure & loads of other stuff included too.

Midway have it on special price until the end of the month..

#14: Re: Turret Press Author: btefftLocation: Columbus, Ga PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:33 pm
    ----
+1 on the Hornady LnL

I have one, my brother-in-law has a Dillon 550. I have to run him off my LnL so I can load some of my bullets.

I think he'd like to have a LnL press, but after all the crap he feed me about how much better his Dillon was, he knows he'd never live it down.

The LnL is one good press. I bought mine from David Keith Outfitters - he had the best price. Also bought 6 sets of dies. He's nice to talk to and reliable.

The 1000 free bullets were sweet. I also got 100 free bullets per die set I bought.

I broke a retaining spring and Hornady sent me two, free. So, as far as I and concerned, their customer service is great, too.

Hack

#15: Re: Turret Press Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:46 pm
    ----
English Mike wrote:
Hornady L-N-L AP mate.

Built like a brick s*** house & they have an offer where you get 1,000 free bullets: Free bullets
You get a powder measure & loads of other stuff included too.

Midway have it on special price until the end of the month..

Trust a Pom to find a free offer like that. Very Happy Laughing

But seriously...I have never used the Hornady product either, but like the Dillon, I have only heard good things about them.

Seems to me Joe that you have the relatively easy job of picking the best of a good bunch mate. That's a real bonus.

Cheers, Vince

-> Reloading Ammunition