Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: jb22-250 PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:16 pm
    ----
I was wondering if anyone could give me any answers to help me in sighting in my gun. I have just started varmint hunting and for right now I am going to stick with the factory loads. I bought a box of Remington 50grain jacketed hollow points. My question is where should I sight it in at 100 yards? Most of my shots are going to be 200 to 300 yards but will also have shots out to 500 yards. The only range I have to practice is a 100 yards. Could you let me know where I should sight in for 100 yards and where it would hit approximately at ranges out to 500 yards. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you, JASON Also I tried using the point blank ballistics program but I could not find all of the information that I needed on the 50 grain Remington jacketed hollow point to fill out the chart. If anyone has that info or knows where to get it please let me know.

#2: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:31 pm
    ----
Sorry but you are going to have to adjust your scope for the different ranges you shoot at. at 500 yards you only have about one yard where your point of impact will be in the same two inch circle - no matter where you sight in.
My advice is to get a BDC (bullet drop compensating) scope and sight it dead on at 100 yards. Then dial it in for any range that you happen to be shooting at. Varmints are too small to just "kentuky windage" a shot.

#3: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 am
    ----
Paul has a good suggestion. Take a look at the Burris scopes with the "Ballistic Plex". With the .22-250 you'd zero at 200 yards and have hash marks for 300, 400, 500 and 600. Several others have similar reticles.

#4: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:54 am
    ----
While I respect PaulS's opinion, I have been very successful groundhog hunting with my .243 with a 3.5-10 Leupold and fixed zero. It has the standard duplex reticle and I simply hold over at extended ranges, killing well over a thousand groundhogs, out to a laser ranged 606 yards. I wrote down the drop at various ranges from the point blank program and taped them to my scope. An average adult groundhog is about 5 inches tall when horizontal and 16-18 inches when vertical, it is not too difficult to guage holdover on longer shots. I agree that a HIGH QUALITY compensating scope or target turrents might be helpful, but I do not find them necessary. What varmints will you be hunting? I imagine the smaller the varmint, the more precise the shot will have to be, I just am not comfortable changing my scope settings for different ranges.

#5: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:57 am
    ----
I just noticed this was your first posting, welcome to the forums !!!

#6: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 am
    ----
I actually use a modification of roklok's advice...my varmint guns all wear target turrets with the turrets set to "0" for 100 yards. Taped to the inside of the flip-up rear scope covers is a chart that displays the precise number of clicks from "0" for each range (50-yard increments) as well as the amount of wind-drift at each distance with a 10-mph wind. Since most of my varmint hunting is for groundhogs and coyotes, this works well. Groundhogs usually give me plenty of time to adjust (particularly at extended ranges when they don't know I'm around) and when hunting coyotes I just set the scopes for 250 yards and use hold-over for anything past that distance.

And welcome aboard!

#7: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:33 am
    ----
I agree .A good scope like that works great .

#8: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 pm
    ----
I'm seriously considering a Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50 with the "varmint" reticle to go on a 22-250 for foxing & long range bunny bashing.
Whatever I choose will be optimised for 200yds & zeroed at that distance & I'll "shoot in" the longer distance holdover points on the reticle once I have a load worked up.

#9: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:30 pm
    ----
Welcome to the board... here is my .02 about varmint rifles for coyotes. Use a point blank zero that will hit a 5" circle out to 300 yards. That will be about 1.7" up at 100 yards for your load. Hold in the middle of the fur and squeeze.

For shots over 300 yards... call them in closer.

You say you only have a 100 yard range to practice. Until you have learned to read the wind and light conditions you should not shoot at a living target beyond you maximum lethal range. I run new hunters through what I call the maximum lethal distance test. I set gallon jugs of water at various distances from 50 -300 yards. Assuming a typical hunting position usually sitting or with sticks. I have the shooter start picking them off from near to far. They get one shot at each jug. The longest distance they hit on one shot is the maximum lethal range. When they practice and gain marksmanship skills they can increase their range but this is usually quite an eye opener. Many guys who were "ready" to kill out to 400+ were done by 225 yards. Particularly those shooting real light bullets that are pushed more by the wind.

When you put a hunter in a field position you will not always have a sandbag rest on a stable bench on a perfectly calm day. I know my limits for each gun I use. The more you shoot the more skilled and comfortable you will be.

#10: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
jb22-250, If you go to Remington's website it should have ballistic tables with trajectory listed for the factory load you chose.

#11: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: speed swede PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:21 pm
    ----
trajectory is just a little bit of this kind of hunting what you need is accuracy! whitout it you cant hit jacks ass 2nd you must know the bullet drop and the only way to find out is to shoot the rifle at diffrent ranges all the stuff on the net is fiction not the real deal....johan

#12: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:50 am
    ----
Speed Swede wrote:
all the stuff on the net is fiction not the real deal....johan

Speedy old mate...never a truer word was spoken.

I've been watching this one, but have kept out of it because it is a little outside of my normal shooting experience. However a couple of the posts have started me to thinkin, and casting my mind way back...maybe 20 odd years back...I remember when shooting Handgun Metallic Sillouette (IHMSA) I would use a very similar system to what Singles suggested. Only difference is I was using iron sights not a scope, so I worked in "clicks from base".

Most, if not all, scopes allow you to move the graduation disc to zero once you have zeroed your rifle, so it is a simple enough matter to shoot at each range, confirm point of impact and confirm by adjusting your scope and recording the necessary adjustments.

Remember, what Speedy says is totally correct...you must know the bullet drop and the only way to find out is to shoot the rifle at diffrent ranges all the stuff on the net is fiction not the real deal....johan

Cheers, Vince

Last edited by Vince on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:20 am
    ----
While published factory ballistics vary a great deal from actual ballistics in many cases, I have found the point blank program on this site to be uncannily accurate. Of course it is only as accurate as the numbers entered. With accurate velocity readings using a chronograph and BC values from bullet manufacturers it has been very useful for every load I have tried.

#14: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:08 am
    ----
roklok wrote:
While published factory ballistics vary a great deal from actual ballistics in many cases, I have found the point blank program on this site to be uncannily accurate. Of course it is only as accurate as the numbers entered. With accurate velocity readings using a chronograph and BC values from bullet manufacturers it has been very useful for every load I have tried.

Very true. Factory listings show the .17 Remington with 25 grain bullets as having a muzzle velocity of 3,980 fps with a 25-grain bullet. Real life chronograph tests in my rifles show that Remington factory ammunition is actually around 3,840 fps. Using a chronograph with my loads (20-grain VMaxs at 4,200 fps) and running the data through Point Blank gives me usable information that is virtually identical to real life shooting tests. This has proven true with all of my cartridges and loads...assuming the inputted data is correct to begin with.

#15: Re: Sighting in my new 22-250 remington 700 sps Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:17 am
    ----
I shoot a 7MM-08 Remington Model 7 for my whitetail rifle.
Factory 140 grain bullets run 2800 FPS. ( so they say )
Reality is just on the plus side of 2500 FPS when the barrel length is factored in along with my average temp, humidity, and dew point.

The older Model 7’s all had 18” barrels, mines 20”
Subtract another 2” and put it in a colder climate and you could be well under 2400 FPS.

Now factor in bullet styles.
A round nose bullet will have a vary low BC. ( ballistic coefficient )
A pointed long ogive bullet will have a high BC.
Higher BC bullets fly flatter than lower ones.

So as you can see there is a lot more to it than looking at charts alone.
Real world is the way to go.

From what I’ve been hearing ( if used correctly ) Point Blank is as close to real world as you can get !!!

-> Varmint Hunting