Getting ready for October deer season
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: Getting ready for October deer season Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:28 am
    ----
I have spent a few sessions at the local range working with a Lyman .50 and a .54 flintlock Lyman Trade Rifles. Shooting from the bench, it soon became apparent what each rifle preferred in order to shoot patched balls well. The .50 shot best with 90 grains of FFG and the .54 liked 80 grains of the same powder. I had been using heavier powder charges and accuracy was no so good. Both rifles are now about ready. The lesson learned is to experiment and going down in the powder charges may be a good idea. Take care...
Joe

#2: Re: Getting ready for October deer season Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:08 am
    ----
Good info Joe Very Happy . I have my inline ready to go. We have a three day early muzzleloader in oct I took the days off and hopfully will give my muzzleloader a work out. Good luck Very Happy
Joe

#3: Re: Getting ready for October deer season Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:14 am
    ----
Joe,
My experiences mirror what you have described. Blackpowder rifles are unique and will soon let you know what they prefer. All the best...
Gil

#4: Re: Getting ready for October deer season Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:50 pm
    ----
Yup...T/C Hawken .50 cap lock. Patched round ball and 90 grains of FFG. 1900 fps and shoots as accurate as my .30-30 at 100 yards...Well...Almost...

#5: Re: Getting ready for October deer season Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 am
    ----
As said here, Muzzle loaders are finiky bugers. My TC Pennsylvania Hunter shoots 1" @ 100yds with FFF Goex and a 495" ball with a .015" patch and....a 50cal bore button.
I tried to use some Pyrodex some one gave me and soon found out why it was free!! It aint worth a crap!
My groups went from 1" to almost 9" just changing the powder.

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting