tanning
-> General

#1: tanning Author: menaceLocation: perth australia PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:21 am
    ----
HI.hope you all had a lovely christmas with your loved ones.
we went back to the farm for christmas,had a lovely time as usual.
harvesting during day,shooting and hunting rabbits and foxes at night.
6 foxes one night, so i deceided this time to cut the tail off.
what i done was cut the skin only around the tail at the base near the DIFF.
my brother inlaw held the fox whilst i was trying to pull and rolling the fur/skin off the bone. because the foxes were so young and small diameter tails the fur wouldnt roll back.but eventually the bone/meat tail did pull out,leaving the skin/fur hollow.
i did mix some bi carb soda with a little kerosene into a watery paste and filled the hollow fox tail.
this is my first try so im not sure as to how to tan properly.
eager to hear on what others would have done.
advice will be appreciated greatly.
regards MENACE Very Happy

#2: Re: tanning Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:17 pm
    ----
We use to tan deer hides with a salt and alum solution. I don't remember the amounts though I will see if I can dig it up.
Joe

#3: Re: tanning Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18 pm
    ----
Gidday Menace old mate. Good to see you are out there lookin' after the land.

I have tanned quite a few hides over the years and this is the kit that I use:

Leder Leather Tanning Kit

Nothing hard about it...you don't need to be a "rocket scientist"...well if I can do it anybody can. Hardest part of the job is fleshing the hide, but it explains it all in the directions, and the kit has everything in it you will need except for a container to put the solution and the salt.

Enjoy your New Years Day mate. From what I've heard you are looking at a 39 C - 40 C day over there in Perth. Thank goodness for "The Doctor".

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: tanning Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 pm
    ----
I also use Leder Kit.

But I have not been doing any for years..

-> General