Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:50 am
    ----
Yes but Norma is alot less expensive. Laughing

As for Varget, Canada is having some shortages, but nothing near like what you down south are having from what I hear, so I'm hoping a Canadian supplier will have some in stock. Smile

Dimitri

#17: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 am
    ----
Send me about 80lbs...........I'll make some quick cash !!! Very Happy

#18: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:56 am
    ----
Yah sure, what next, want me to send down new rifles too both without permits? Laughing

I think the State Department would have a field day hanging us both if there was no paperwork. Laughing

Dimitri

#19: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:59 am
    ----
Don’t need any rifles...........But I’ll take some small rifle primers if your offering !!! Razz

#20: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:06 pm
    ----
Tracking down the Varget.

Thinking so far of:

168gr Sierra Match King
43gr Varget (7% under listed Max)
Norma Case
Win LR Primer.

Dimitri

#21: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 am
    ----
D,
I would council against brass, brass as you have a brass scatterer. If you go with RP Nickel it will make finding brass a bit easier. I use nickel in my auto guns for that very reason. The sun's glint on nickel is a great help in the Easter egg hunt.
Best,
Ed

#22: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:28 am
    ----
Since we are talking about reloading can anybody give me some advice on Ranier bullets???? See them adverised but have not used them. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,vint2! Smile

#23: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:21 am
    ----
Why yes Mr. Vint2...I use them as practice bullets and load them to duplicate my Hornady self defence and hunting loads. Great for target practice and have the same profile as the Hornady XTP. Don't expect the HPs to open up though. Rainier specificly stated a few years ago that they punched the hollow point in their flat nose bullets because you and I wanted them (popular demand). As you know, they are a plated bullet and should be kinda treated like lead except you can drive them at anything up to 1200 fps. A friend of mine loads them to 1400 fps and says they still hold up. I use jacketed data when reloading them. They are quite accurate too. As the below target shows. I was using my 3" kimber .45 ACP. This was at 25 yards and yes, I was bench resting. The bullseye is 3 1/2" diameter.

Ooops...Just noticed the load data is on the target except for the bullet. I was using the 185 grain Rainier plated HP...

#24: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:52 am
    ----
SwampFox wrote:
D,
I would council against brass, brass as you have a brass scatterer. If you go with RP Nickel it will make finding brass a bit easier. I use nickel in my auto guns for that very reason. The sun's glint on nickel is a great help in the Easter egg hunt.
Best,
Ed

Sounds like a good idea. Smile

Dimitri

#25: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:01 am
    ----
Thanks,bushy, I will give them a try!! Could not get back sooner as I had some things to deal with.

#26: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:32 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
SwampFox wrote:
D,
Best,
Ed

Sounds like a good idea. Smile

Dimitri

Another option 'Mitri is to fit a case collection bag to your rifle...covers the ejection port and the spent cases fall into it. I've seen guys cut the bottom out of the bag so the cases fall at their feet...doesn't upset the balance of the rifle that way.

Cheers, Vince

#27: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:53 am
    ----
Good point Vince. Smile

Dimitri

#28: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:38 pm
    ----
HEY FOLKS HERE IS ONE TO GET REAL WORRIED ABOUT!!!!

www.opencongress.org/b...1-h45/text

#29: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:24 pm
    ----
I have 100 Norma cases on order and 2 pounds of Varget coming to my door sooner then later. Very Happy

Once I develop the loads for the Envoy I'll load Remington Nickle cases for my M1A, which will allow me to instantly remember which reloads are for what (never mind the case head stamps being different). Smile

Dimitri

#30: Re: Anyone here attempted successfully to duplicate Federal? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:38 pm
    ----
I think you will be pleased with the Varget D.

Joe

-> Reloading Ammunition