The Military
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: The Military Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:17 pm
    ----
I'm going to be 18 next year .I intend to join the military reserves . I don't know what branch to join . I am fit , but not a super athlete.I have no definite career life .I am good with wood all kinds but am very high I.Q.ed .
I don't possess much mechanical SKILLS but can learn . What would be the best options for me ?The army or navy ?

#2: Re: The Military Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:33 pm
    ----
That has to be a personal choice, I was in the Army and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Go to BOTH recruiters and talk about whats available they both offer a lot of different opportunitys. Start talking to them now so ya have plenty of time think about your options.

Joe

#3: Re: The Military Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:50 pm
    ----
Go to college mate & see what's on offer there.

If you DO join the military, then look for a trade that will provide skills outside too.

#4: Re: The Military Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:09 pm
    ----
Check this out ->

www.goarmy.com/rotc/

Or

www.nrotc.navy.mil/index.asp

Dimitri

#5: Re: The Military Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:23 pm
    ----
Can ya swim?

#6: Re: The Military Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm
    ----
What is your ASVAB result like?
They are not perfect but is quite close.

#7: Re: The Military Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:45 am
    ----
Whittling....I echo what Joe and English Mike say mate.

I spent 26 years in the Australian Regular Army and wouldn't change any of it for all the tea in China.

Having said that, it really is a personal choice mate as there are so many trades and skills you can learn, but not all are useful out in civvy street.

Not sure how the Officer stream works over there, but out here in aussie, you must have a degree to become an officer, but we do have our own military University.

Good luck mate...it will do you the world of good and show you things about yourself and others that you would not necessarily see.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: The Military Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:18 am
    ----
Well, I can swim but not to good . I really have a wanting to be a infantry soldier ,but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for it .

#9: Re: The Military Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:22 am
    ----
Believe it or not Hunterjoe, but I was always glad to find out that my crew members aboard ship counldn't swim. If they couldn't swim they would try a lot harder to keep that ship afloat...

Whittling...The Navy is a good choice too. Any of the four branches of service would be a good choice. Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines. I served 22 years in the U.S. Navy. And I too, wouldn't change a thing...

#10: Re: The Military Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Any of the four branches of service would be a good choice. Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines.

I thought the 4 branches were Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard because the Marines are part of the Navy? Confused

Dimitri

#11: Re: The Military Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:03 am
    ----
And during a war the Coast Guard comes under the Department of the Navy. In most cases the shallow water sailors are just one step above a weekend warrior... Very Happy

#12: Re: The Military Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:03 pm
    ----
Their right it is a personal choice. I spent 4 years active duty as a Mechanized Infantryman and another 5 in the National guard then I was given a chance to reclass as a M1A1 tanker I am just about to my 20 years. Both were a blast, but the Infantry is a young mans MOS its hard on the body. Being a Tanker has been more fun though. There is a lot of maintanace but pulling triggers on the 120mm smooth bore is a rush equaled by no other. Not to many skills that transfer to civilian life excep dicipline. But you must also keep in mind that Active, Reserve, and National Guard end up depolying. I ended up pulling two tours in Iraq during my time. But I was married while stationed in Germany so the Army has really made my life what it is today. Lots to think about good luck only you can make this descision

#13: Re: The Military Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 pm
    ----
Congratulations wiersy111, a good effort mate.

You are right when you say that Infantry is a young man's game...I spent 26 years in the aussie Infantry and I'm paying the price now. I started at age 25 and was invalided out at age 48. Worn out, burnt out, bent and broken.

During that time I was in Battalions and also did an M113A1 Drivers and Crew Commander's course. Loved every minute of it.

A bit of trivia...you guys would have maybe heard of the Wiggles...a Children's Show group....well....the Blue Wiggle (Anthony) used to be one of my soldiers, he was also my M113A1 driver for a while. Very nice guy.

Cheers, Vince

#14: Re: The Military Author: rdncktinkLocation: Hwaseong, South Korea PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:29 am
    ----
It's good that you are looking into it and not just doing, I bored lets joing the military. The best advice has already been given and it was also told to me by my students, talk to all branches and see which works best for you. If you don't plan on being a lifer than look to see what trade you can use once out. My brother has a great degree in nuclear physics that he can't use due to clasification. Also talk to friends who have joined. Most recruters can help you find people a little older than you. Also go to the colleges for ROTC and talk to them. If you want a degree you can do ROTC so you kindof have both.

#15: Re: The Military Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 am
    ----
I'll probably go navy .I like the service options and the skills but most of those I know are Air Force or infantry .

-> Spam-O-Rama