AR Thread!!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#76: Re: AR Thread!! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:26 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
I'm getting some Berger 70gr VLDs. Since I had good performance from 69gr Sierra MatchKings, I thought I'd try a bullet that might work well outside of 300 yards.

Wow, my gun didn't like the VLDs. Hard to call anything I shot a group. Tried some 77 SierraMK but they shot about 2MOA. They are getting too long for a 1:9 twist. Started reloading 69 SMK but got no where near the accuracy that I did with the factory load from Fiocchi. So I bought some more!

#77: Re: AR Thread!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:08 am
    ----
Here's the best load so far for the Nosler 69 grain BTHP 26.3 grains of H4895 at a 100yds. Shot from the RRA Predator pursuit Very Happy

#78: Re: AR Thread!! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:13 pm
    ----
Looks like you let one slip out! You could have used a dime and it would of still looked great!

I'd post a picture of my last 5-shot group with Fiocchi but they weren't handloads.

#79: Re: AR Thread!! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:10 pm
    ----
That is one helluva nice group Joe.

Place the rifle on the bench and step away from it...more importantly...DON"T ALTER THAT LOAD...its a definite keeper mate.

By the way...how big is that coin?

Cheers, Vince

#80: Re: AR Thread!! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:48 pm
    ----
Joe, have you recorded a velocity for that load? What was your barrel length again?

#81: Re: AR Thread!! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm
    ----
Vince, that's a US "quarter", = $0.25. Its about 0.955"/24mm in diameter.

#82: Re: AR Thread!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:36 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
Joe, have you recorded a velocity for that load? What was your barrel length again?
I don't no the velocity the barrel is 20" . max load per there web site is 26 grains so i'm slightly over but have no signs of pressure.
Vince wrote:
Place the rifle on the bench and step away from it...more importantly...DON"T ALTER THAT LOAD...its a definite keeper mate.
Ya Buddy I think I'll keep this load Very Happy

#83: Re: AR Thread!! Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:26 am
    ----
If you want an accurate load for poking paper with a short 1:9 try 26.5 gr W748 and a 52 BTHP match bullet by Sierra or Hornady. It will not set any lad speed records but it will shoot under MOA in any AR I have shot it in.

#84: Re: AR Thread!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm
    ----
I'm gonna try and pick up a pound of IMR 8208 XBR Saturday if my shop has any left. I want to try it with various bullets and see how it does in the AR Very Happy

#85: Re: AR Thread!! Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm
    ----
Sounds like Joe got bit HARD by the AR/223 bug. Very Happy welcome to the.........asylum! Smile

#86: Re: AR Thread!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:41 pm
    ----
Crackshot wrote:
Sounds like Joe got bit HARD by the AR/223 bug. Very Happy welcome to the.........asylum! Smile

Sure did Very Happy Very Happy

#87: Re: AR Thread!! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 am
    ----
Ok, had to post the group my AR is shooting. Granted its with factory ammo but surprizing for an M4 configuration. I gave up trying to match it with reloads and just bought some more Fiocchi.

#88: Re: AR Thread!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 pm
    ----
Thats a fine group Very Happy

#89: Re: AR Thread!! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:09 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Thats a fine group

Thanks! It would have been more satisfying if I achieved this accuracy with my reloads. But, I'll take what I can get!

#90: Re: AR Thread!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:02 pm
    ----
Went to the Gun Shop today and they held a pound of IMR 8208 XBR for me Very Happy I'm glad they did they had sold out . So hopfully sunday mornin I can try some out. My shop had to send my trigger back to Timney as well it started double firing again wtf . They said they will send me a new one Very Happy they seem to have great customer service Very Happy . I'll just use my Colt lower for now It's got a 4# Timney in it Wink

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions