Alaska Sheep hunt
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:45 pm
    ----
Finally got my ram this year, after two unsuccesful seasons. Shot him in the Brooks Range on August 14th. It was an awesome hunt, still feeling the effects of the pack out though, 7 miles of rough terrain with a 150 pound pack. Shot him with a .270 Win at 584 yards. My hunting partner also got a ram on the same day.

#2: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:32 pm
    ----
Out Standing..... Thats one helluva shot... Congrats He's gonna look good on the wall...
Joe

#3: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:36 pm
    ----
Absolutely awesome Roky...an magnificent shot mate. He is one sweet looking critter.

I'm glad it was you and not me that had to pack him out mate...I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be in that terrain...about as mean a walk as I've ever seen buddy. Well done...you got my respect.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:51 am
    ----
Wow! Congrats on some good shooting and what sounds like a memorable hunt!

#5: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:18 am
    ----
Bravo Zulu...

#6: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:29 pm
    ----
That is the toughest huniting - I can't imagine going to get that Ram and packing him out. One helluva shot. CONGRATULATIONS !!!

#7: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:23 pm
    ----
roklok wrote:
Shot him with a .270 Win at 584 yards.

Congrats! Most of us can only dream of a sheep hunt like that! I've just started shooting my .270 at those ranges. My 130gr Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX bullets are good enough to go 600 yards. What is the load you use?

#8: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm
    ----
Way to go Rok!!! Whaja do roll him down hill? That woulda taken me days and days to get him outa that rocky, hilly spot. I hope the hide is still good, it's sure purdy. I bet you're spent for hunting for a while.

Suz

#9: Re: Alaska Sheep hunt Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:38 pm
    ----
Thanks everyone, it was a heck of a hunt. Suzanne, yes, after getting to the ram and taking pictures, I literally gave him a push and he rolled probably a quarter mile to the bottom, it was STEEP on that mountainside. After the shot, he started rolling, and I was hoping he would roll the whole way down, but he got stuck up there. It took us nearly two hours to get to him.

I would like to say that it took one shot, but truthfully, between my excitement, being breathing very hard from climbing, and the ram moving, I managed to miss, and then shoot him in the horn, before settling down and putting one through his shoulders. I was using handloaded 130 grain Hornady SST at 3200 FPS, in a Rem 700 Mountain rifle.

-> Big Game Hunting