Help reading primers for pressure
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#76: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:01 pm
    ----
I'm busy reloading at that time. It's bound to be a bit in the useage looking side.

Not much of a Glock man and probably never will, Marty.

#77: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:02 pm
    ----
44marty wrote:

Barrel #1 - The way I read it, Glocks turn into hand grenades long before any signs of overpressure.

Sed same on the last page, goes for most all auto-pistols. I happen to love Glock's, BTW. Just an outstanding defense and all around pistol, top 3 ever matter of fact. You cannot go wrong with a Glock and it will serve one well for thousands upon thousands of rounds w/ little care and I'd carry one in a heartbeat. (off topic).

Check yer PM's buddy!

#78: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:16 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
44marty wrote:

Barrel #1 - The way I read it, Glocks turn into hand grenades long before any signs of overpressure.

Sed same on the last page, goes for most all auto-pistols. I happen to love Glock's, BTW. Just an outstanding defense and all around pistol, top 3 ever matter of fact. You cannot go wrong with a Glock and it will serve one well for thousands upon thousands of rounds w/ little care and I'd carry one in a heartbeat. (off topic).

Check yer PM's buddy!

WHAT - No comment on barrel #2 ?? I think that photo is hilarious. NOTE that if you read down to the bottom, I am just kidding. Don't tell anyone at northeastshooters I said so, but Glocks are very good pistols. I just don't like polymer guns. I don't like the Smith M&P's or the Ruger polymer frames either. Guess I'm just too old fashioned, but there you go.

Sorry to hijack - back to primers . . . .

#79: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:18 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Second to last pic belongs in the 'reloading bench mess thread....

I wish my reloading bench was 1/2 as good looking as Bushy's!

#80: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:26 pm
    ----
44marty wrote:
WHAT - No comment on barrel #2 ?? I think that photo is hilarious.

Marty, it was a humorous picture. The top sights work on their side also.

#81: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
I'm busy reloading at that time. It's bound to be a bit in the useage looking side.

Well, push in that drawer, line up them bullets on thier bases and I'll let it slide. Laughing

Primers usually flip in the LEE stuff when ya aint got enough in the lollipop. (almost back on topic! Very Happy )

#82: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:53 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Primers usually flip in the LEE stuff when ya aint got enough in the lollipop.

Doesn't Lee advise against Federal primers because of this ???

#83: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:04 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
stovepipe wrote:

I might be mistaken but I think Lee's "reasoning" is Federal makes a hotter primer and if one go's off and sets the rest off you have more chance of being injured with a federal primer than say a CCI or Win.. I no it sounds silly but I no I read it some where I just can't remember where..

#84: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 am
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
stovepipe wrote:

Stovey is 100% correct...the primers in the "track" need the weight of the primers in the "lollipop" to keep them moving. When there isn't enough weight it doesn't push the next primer onto the priming pin correctly which then causes the little bugger to flip when ya ain't lookin'.

As for Federal primers and LEE's advising against using them...it is my understanding that the Federal Primer has a softer cup that the other brands (hence the reason pistol target shooters like them...they can have a softer hammer fall, or lighter action). I believe that LEE feels that if a primer, for whatever reason flips (sideways being the most common from my experience) then it may be able to detonate when crushed into the primer pocket, with the resulting flame igniting the primers in the tube. I have a mate in Sydney that will NEVER under any circumstances load Federal Primers into a priming tube ever again. He has quite a few small pieces of primer shrapnel in his chest from just such an occurrence.

Having said all of the above...I have never had a problem with Federal primers in 30 yrs of reloading...pistol or rifle...and I have loaded many thousands of them.

Cheers, Vince

#85: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:10 am
    ----
It has to do with the amount of "force" the cap has when it pops. Winch and CCI are recomended in his presses, others, not so much. I've used them all. I've also read in his stuff if you don't use CCI or Winch load a max of 50 to limit the detonation- guess the reasoning is a little boom is better than a big one.

#86: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 am
    ----
Lee and Federal don't get along (see eye to eye) so Lee boycotted Federal just to get even. I have (like Vince) ran Federal primers through my Auto Prime II seating die system for years without incident.

I have crushed all manufacturers of primers sideways, including cutting them in half, and never set them off. It takes a sharp blow to do that and a priming system just can't do that. Vince's friend must have had a very rare situation.

But with THAT said. If I was to set off a primer in my Auto Prime II. Other then a loud "POP" (and having to change my undies) the die shields the rest of the primers. Another reason I prefer the press mounted Lee Auto Prime II over the hand priming systems.

As far as the having only a few primers in the tube below the lolly-pop. There is a slot running the length of the tube that is great for using a pencil to assist the remaining primers to their destination. Note: I said "pencil".

#87: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:19 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Lee and Federal don't get along

As far as the having only a few primers in the tube below the lolly-pop. There is a slot running the length of the tube that is great for using a pencil to assist the remaining primers to their destination. Note: I said "pencil".

I heard that rumor too 'bout Federal.

Or- you could just refill the lollipop....like yer sposed too, lazybones. Smile

#88: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:43 am
    ----
If I'm loading only 50 rounds. Why do I want to spend the time getting tose tinny little primers back into those tinny little pockets in the pack?

I'd much rather use a pencil or toothpick.

#89: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:50 am
    ----
Look- ya gotta pull the primers out of the box and put them back anyways so why not do it the right way and....

Crap- I forgot who I'm trying to reason with. The man who'd argue w/ a fence post.

You win, I'm done. Laughing

#90: Re: Help reading primers for pressure Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:22 am
    ----
And the "fence post" moved I might add.

When I'm done priming fifty cases with fifty primers there are none to put back.

-> Reloading Ammunition