Any Automotive Engineers?
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:01 pm
    ----
So my final project (doing it a year early) is a electric car, which will be made out of Bamboo, biodegradable resins, and as much "green" tech as possible will be powered by 3 500W (3/4 HP) motors.

I got enough battery power to last 45 minutes running only 2 motors, or 30 minutes for all 3 wheels being used. Due to the weight restrictions on the batteries for the race not being high enough to have enough Amp/hours in the batteries to run at full power for the one hour race.

And I got to develop a new controller that will interface to the motor controller built in, cause the user interface units given to the college are only designed for 1 motor applications and I need to run 3 of them. I asked 2 weeks ago for a PDF or some such of the control system's operating codes but I have not gotten them, and last year they gave the motors so late that they were unable to use them in the race. So I am not expecting anything ... therefor it seems like I may have to reverse engineer the system and build one without outside help.

Wish me luck!

Dimitri

#2: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:22 pm
    ----
Why don't you add a mast and sail that you can raise or lower as required, harness the energy of the wind, photoelectric converters and such and use the sun as a source,... just ideas

#3: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:29 pm
    ----
Against the race rules. Otherwise I'd have done anything possible.

Nothing in the rules says that you can't use capacitors, so going to talk the professor into letting me use a couple of capacitors to use as a pre-charge to increase the range.

Dimitri

#4: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:57 pm
    ----
"batteries" More than 1 you say !!!

Have you worked out a combination with both series and parallel wiring to gain any advantage ???

#5: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:58 pm
    ----
2 sets in parallel of 3 in series 12V Batteries that have a AMP/hour rating of 9.6 AMP/hour.

Its the most power I can put into the system for the weight restriction.

Dimitri

#6: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:56 pm
    ----
Tesla switch?

#7: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:28 pm
    ----
Interesting, never heard of that kind of set up.

Dimitri

#8: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 pm
    ----
Search Nikola Tesla and read about him and his work...........I bet you find some interesting information !!!

#9: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:09 pm
    ----
I know Nikolas Tesla, I just did not know of his switch.

Dimitri

#10: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:58 am
    ----
It's a don't ask, don't tell kind of thing....

#11: Re: Any Automotive Engineers? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 am
    ----
I got approval to buy a 2,500$ Super Capacitor.

Dimitri

-> Spam-O-Rama