The PIG
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: The PIG Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:52 pm
    ----
Well, I finally finished building my PIG.

A mate told me about a cool piece of kit called the OZPig or AusPig that is based on a 9kg LPG bottle. As luck would have it, I just happened to have an out of date 9 kg bottle, so I thought...why not...a new project to get my teeth into and build.

It has taken me a month or more with the requisite breaks for beers and other stuff...but I have finished "him"...painted him up with high temp exhaust paint (also good for pot belly stoves) and fired him up to "set" the paint. Also seasoned the BBQ plate.

Have learned a lot building this project...my welding prowess has improved out of sight as has my metal working skills. Great fun.

Anyway...the PIG. Had to soak the bottle in water, then a bit of degreaser for about 7 days to get any gas residues out before I started cutting. Once I was satisfied that I could cut it safely, out came the angle grinder. Removed the guard and valve from the top and the stand from the bottom, then cut the top off to make a fire-door in what was to be the front. Marked out and cut a hole in the side (will be the top) and using the metal from the guard and stand removed earlier, made a BBQ plate support. A Camp Oven (Dutch Oven) fits nicely in the hole as well. Got hold of some 2.5" exhaust pipe and constructed and fitted a chimney (removable). Made and fitted some removable legs, welded a hinge on the door, welded a post onto the bottom of the bbq plate so it can be swiveled on and off the heat.

All in all a good and most enjoyable project.

Cheers, Vince

#2: Re: The PIG Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 pm
    ----
Cute as a pig's ear!!!!!!!
Ok so how do you cook on it? Either a grill or a pot or the swiveled pan? You sure did a good job of cutting round holes. Looks like a good way to keep the kitchen cooler in the summer, just go outside and cook anyway you want. I like it!

Suz

#3: Re: The PIG Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 pm
    ----
Cooking...easy. The square plate is a BBQ plate (about 9" x 9")...you can cook your steak directly on it...or put a pot on it, although it would be a very VERY slow indirect heat...or a Camp Oven fits nicely in the hole under the plate (designed it that way).

It also makes a great brazier to sit around having a beer in winter.

You could easily build one Suz. If I can, anybody can.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: The PIG Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:55 am
    ----
I see the red cooker in the background isn't smiling about your new addition. Nice work, Vince!

#5: Re: The PIG Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 pm
    ----
That's neat!

Got a picture of the oven too?

#6: Re: The PIG Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:06 pm
    ----
That looks pretty good Vince! I'm going to have to show those pictures around.

#7: Re: The PIG Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:32 pm
    ----
English M. I think he's talkin about a dutch oven, it fits into the hole on top.

Suz

#8: Re: The PIG Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:38 pm
    ----
Slim wrote:
I see the red cooker in the background isn't smiling about your new addition. Nice work, Vince!

Mr Weber will get over it Slim. In fact, counting the latest addition I now have four BBQ and I have another hotplate, with folding legs (for an open fire), in the works.

Suz The Knowledgeable wrote:
English M. I think he's talkin' about a dutch oven, it fits into the hole on top. [

Yep...that's totally correct Suz. The Dutch Oven, or as we call it, a Camp Oven, fits in the hole in the top. A slow fire under, and some coals on the lid...perfect.

The fire box works a treat too...with the door shut it still draws enough to not smoke and reduces all the wood to a fine powder....but doesn't burn out in a short time. Wish I could lay claim to this design...but unfortunately I can't.

Cheers, Vince

#9: Re: The PIG Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:57 pm
    ----
Nice! so when is the barbie?

#10: Re: The PIG Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:26 am
    ----
You did a fine job Vince. Looks like a great project. Nothing is more satisfying than an idea that works out well. Let us know when the cook-out is, I'll bring the Sausage!

#11: Re: The PIG Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:49 pm
    ----
Laughin' Sweeney.

In fact, now here's a thought, a project for ya. One of these would be ideal at the hunting lodge if there is only one or two of you there. Any more mouths to feed and the plate isn't big enough...but for just two of you...spot on mate.

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: The PIG Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:36 pm
    ----
that sure looks like a great idea great work Vince.

#13: Re: The PIG Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:44 am
    ----
Quote::
One of these would be ideal at the hunting lodge if there is only one or two of you there. Any more mouths to feed and the plate isn't big enough...but for just two of you...spot on mate.
Ya got me thinkin' now Vince. I may take a shot at it. Nice little winter project. It will keep me out of the Wife's hair for a bit. Of course I'll have to fix a few things on Her list first Rolling Eyes

#14: Re: The PIG Author: M-36Location: Tucson, AZ PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:30 am
    ----
Very nice Vince!!!!! Looks like it would make a nice stove/heater for a wall tent.

Jim

#15: Re: The PIG Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:07 am
    ----
Vince, a question: why did you put that LPG bottle horizontal and not vertical?

-> Spam-O-Rama