chrony info
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> PointBlank Software

#1: chrony info Author: larrLocation: eastern shore of maryland PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 am
    ----
can someone tell me if pointblank will accept data from a chrony? i have a chrony that will upload data to a pc and was hoping that pointblank will import the data.

#2: Re: chrony info Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:32 pm
    ----
Chony has their own software that is used. You would have to find a way to dub in the info that it does not have with info that Point Blank needs.

#3: Re: chrony info Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:27 am
    ----
larr wrote:
can someone tell me if pointblank will accept data from a chrony? i have a chrony that will upload data to a pc and was hoping that pointblank will import the data.

<------That guy looks just like me!

#4: Re: chrony info Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 am
    ----
Long lost twin? Again?

#5: Re: chrony info Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:23 pm
    ----
larr

Just a recommendation that I use Load from a Disc software that I can input the specs I want (cal, powder, bullet, oal, etc) and it will figure out roughly what I have reloaded before I head out to the range. Its about $10 more then the chrony software, but it goes into great details. Best part of this software is that when I input the values from a factory cartridge or hand-loaded cartridge it will give me within 5% of the values.

There is a demo version to try and the link is below. Still, I think the best ballistic program out there for the price in Point Blank. Thank You Dallan.

Load From a Disk

And if I may say, thanks again for hosting the best dayum hunting site bar none.

#6: Re: chrony info Author: larrLocation: eastern shore of maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:53 pm
    ----
thanks for the info,i will give load from a disc a try. I'm going to send my master alpha's LCD display box back to chrony for a upgrade to a beta.

#7: Re: chrony info Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 pm
    ----
PointBlank is an external ballistics program where Load From a Disk offers internal ballistics. There is too much liability for me to attempt to recreate such software. One bug somewhere in a pressure curve and someone could blow his face off.

-DallanC

#8: Re: chrony info Author: larrLocation: eastern shore of maryland PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:12 am
    ----
Quote::
PointBlank is an external ballistics program where Load From a Disk offers internal ballistics. There is too much liability for me to attempt to recreate such software. One bug somewhere in a pressure curve and someone could blow his face off.

i understand completely, i do alot of load development and need to keep all the info that i tried for reference in the future. keeping paper targets and load data on paper takes up storage space,it would be better to have it stored digitally. thanks again

#9: Re: chrony info Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:52 am
    ----
So my crony is cheap... it doesnt have the features to download info onto a PC.

So, with your crony... does it save a file out that you can get to? If so, I could look into an importing process. I would need a data file from the crony, and careful notes about what the data fields are on the crony itself, so I can determine their file format.

-DallanC

#10: Re: chrony info Author: larrLocation: eastern shore of maryland PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:37 pm
    ----
i will have to check and see if i can find what file format the shooting chrony has. there are only 2 programs so far that it will work on and they are rsi shooting lab and chronys ballistic 2. if i find something i will let you know.

#11: Re: chrony info Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:31 pm
    ----
My Chrony saves info then prints it when requested. Could you use that to import the data to a file? I'll have to investigate some.

#12: Re: chrony info Author: MRFixITLocation: Newbrunswick PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:27 pm
    ----
I know this is an old thread and I don't want to knock a great program like Point Blank as it is truly a fine program. I use Rob's Reloading Organizer to upload info from my crony and there is an option to input the info manually for those crony that can't upload to PC.
I hope I didn't step on any toes

#13: Re: chrony info Author: n1khb PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:54 pm
    ----
Hi all,
New member here. I'm wondering if any progress has been made in getting Pointblank to process serial data from a Chrony through the USB port. Looks like the most recent discussion on the topic is over 3 years old if I interpret the posting dates correctly. I'm not used to forums. Mostly use Yahoo groups for my activities, but I thought I'd give this one a try.

Best,
Sonny
NRA Endowment member
Five NRA Instructor ratings

#14: Re: chrony info Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:25 pm
    ----
Importing data from an external device is difficult due to the different file formats and the data within them. One would be required to write a separate routine for each chronograph and to do that one would need to know what data each device stored, in what order and then add the appropriate information into the proper input for Point Blank.

I wouldn't want to buy one of each chronograph just to find out what data it supplied and how it is shared. The manufacturers are not likely to share that kind of information.

#15: Re: chrony info Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:17 pm
    ----
I believe Chrony spit out ASCII data through RS232 at 9600 bps.
It should not be difficult to download, to process the data is another issue.

Cable pinout 3.5mm stereo jack with Tip = RX, Ring = TX and Base = Ground.

Check out this link

-> PointBlank Software