case lube
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: case lube Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:05 am
    ----
RCBS lube works fine but is messy.

If you would like to deal with stuck cases, go ahead and use Hornady One Shot. Yes, I know, you can buy and use a stuck case remover. That will work fine until the tap breaks off in the stuck case. How do I know...

Imperial Sizing Wax works well and isn't very messy.

#17: Re: case lube Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 pm
    ----
I was using LEE resizing lube.
But as I have been playing around with resizing .223 to .222, I've been using Imperial sizing wax which is a lot better for this application.
Either works well full length resizing.
I have found that while using a Lee collet die, you dont need any lube.

#18: Re: case lube Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:32 pm
    ----
RCBS lube and pad for the last 25 years.

#19: Re: case lube Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:46 pm
    ----
I gotta have a look at this Imperial Die Wax. Everyone seems to be recommending it as the "bees knees".

Cheers, Vince

#20: Re: case lube Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:07 pm
    ----
I have heard of several that are supposed to be good but I like RCBS, it is messy but it does the job. I figure if it serves the purpose then what more can you ask for.

#21: Re: case lube Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:27 pm
    ----
man I must be cheep I was shown to use vaseline on the fingertips when I was a youngun. Ive used lee lube and have gone back to vaseline when it ran out ,as its easy to use and works for me.

#22: Re: case lube Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 am
    ----
Elvis wrote:
man I must be cheep I was shown to use vaseline on the fingertips when I was a youngun. Ive used lee lube and have gone back to vaseline when it ran out ,as its easy to use and works for me.

I was shown the same thing some 30+ years ago by my grand pappy. Then my Dad turned me onto STP, which I have seen over the years the manufactures of official ammo lube really down play it. I have used the Lee Lube as well, but always end up going back to the STP. Like I said before, my dad has used it for decades without any problems what so ever. Ive used it for a long time to without any complaints as well. But my Gramps was a firm believer in Vaseline, thats for sure. He used it since 1819 to 1975 without a problem on everything from reloads to cuts and bruises. Very Happy

and like my own father always says, its just reloading, its not rocket science. Why make it complicated.

#23: Re: case lube Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
I gotta have a look at this Imperial Die Wax. Everyone seems to be recommending it as the "bees knees".

Cheers, Vince

Ive found it very good, the heat of your fingers is enough to "melt" it and it puts a very thin film on the cases.
When resizing the 223 to 222 I was trashing around 10% with lube dents using the lee lube no matter how thin I thought I put it on.
With the imperial sizing wax the last lot were a 100% success.
A little bit goes a very long way. And its easy to clean up.

I like it.

Cheers

#24: Re: case lube Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:42 am
    ----
I had the same problems with lee lube in .223

#25: Re: case lube Author: camelLocation: Hillston Nsw Australia PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:34 am
    ----
Just like "Bushy" RCBS lube and pad for last 31 years reloading.

#26: Re: case lube Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm
    ----
just our of curiosity.. I have read here and other places that oil based substances used for case lube is not good. Is there any real proof of this, or is just opinion based?
sorry from a family of electrical, mechanical and civil engineers, and while not one myself, I unfortunately picked up the trait of seeking real proof.
I do know as I have said before that my father, and my grandfather all used oil based lubes for a combined total of close to 150 years experience with no real problems. That includes reloads stored for very long times without problems.

on a side note, my dad was telling me the other day his great uncle was a ammo man in the Spanish American wars and spent most of his day either reloading or fighting in the Philippines. He said back then they used any oil that came along, new , used, grease , ect... for lube, and reloaded that way the rest of his non military life too.

Basically, is there any proof beyond opinion and marketing for manufactures of commercial made lubes that STP, Vaseline and oil based lubricants will hurt the ammo? I'm excluding wd40 and such types of penetrating "oils".

#27: Re: case lube Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 am
    ----
Only if you contaminate the powder in the case. Even RCBS and other lubes designed for the purpose will contaminate the powder if handled improperly.

The fact that you have 150 years of family experience should be proof enough.

And WD-40 is never allowed near my reloading bench. It stays in my shop where it belongs.

-> Reloading Ammunition