woohooooo I'm goin hunting
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:19 am
    ----
Finally;
Ive managed to get some hunting organised. Took the rifle out of storage and put some rounds down range enough to be fairly accurate out to 200 meters.
I'm going for a hunt next week overnight into the Kaimai ranges about 40 min from home, looking for Red Deer - don't really care what; just want to fill the freezer and get some exercise
Then the weekend after I'm chasing Fallow Deer on Te Miro which is about 400 hectares of untouched bush surrounded by farmland. Ive seen animals there before so I got my fingers crossed.

Keep you all posted

Radar

#2: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:02 am
    ----
good luck matey hope it goes well for ya.

#3: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:42 am
    ----
Good luck Radar...ya lucky bugger. My shooting buddy can't get anytime off work, and as he has the 4WD we can't get away anytime before maybe mid June.

Bust some caps for me mate and enjoy your hunt. I've no doubts as to your filling your freezer mate.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:43 am
    ----
Good luck Radar.

#5: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:19 am
    ----
Enough with the luck. Be safe, enjoy your time in the outdoors, and post some pictures when you get back.

#6: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:03 pm
    ----
Good luck radar.
I wish I could go too.. missed out Easter hunting this year due to work commitment, I hope I get a break soon.

#7: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:27 pm
    ----
Good Luck Radar!! I just looked over an article on Red Deer, they look to rival the largest of the deer. Monster rack too. That should be a fun outing and Fallow Deer too, they're too pretty!

Suz

#8: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 am
    ----
Good Luck Radar. Just listen for the roar! I am trusting that these are Rot deer or Red Stag that have the crown of horn tips at the end of the main horns and that roar instead of bugling?

#9: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:05 am
    ----
The roar here is 90% over, too many idiots shooting at the unknown for my liking.
I'm more interested in getting some venison - nothing like some poor little innocent yearling who doesn't understand yet whats been going on around him to make my day.

Not to say if a big boy put his 12+ points up I'd oblige him with 140 grains of lead.
6 days and counting! Am I keen ...you better beleive it!

#10: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:03 am
    ----
radar wrote:
The roar here is 90% over, too many idiots shooting at the unknown for my liking.
I'm more interested in getting some venison - nothing like some poor little innocent yearling who doesn't understand yet whats been going on around him to make my day.

Not to say if a big boy put his 12+ points up I'd oblige him with 140 grains of lead.
6 days and counting! Am I keen ...you better beleive it!
I am a meat hunter myself but if a big boy decides to show up I will take a poke at him. I usually let the guys that I hunt with go for horns but not me. I like a nice mature doe or a young yearling fawn. Best of Luck for you mate! Chimo Ron

#11: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 am
    ----
I'm with you and Radar, Ron. A nice succulent meat doe is more to my liking...I am not even remotely interested in a trophy head. Can't afford to have them mounted anywayz...far too expensive out here.

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 am
    ----
Yall's makin' me huuuuungry!

Best wishes on a successful hunt Radar. Hope ya enjoy yer time in the bush as much as I do.

-k.

#13: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:55 am
    ----
Sometimes you look at the bigger ones and you realize, that the meat you'll get out of it isn't worth the real costs of the hunt.

You know the dragging a heavy animal out of the bush, and the butcher job of the larger animal. Which will lead to the wife complaining about the fact your walking with a limp for the next couple of weeks because you strained your muscles on the larger animal.

Dimitri

#14: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:04 pm
    ----
Made campfires fer a reason. The more ya eat the less ya gota drag home..*burrp* scuseme.... Embarassed

#15: Re: woohooooo I'm goin hunting Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:18 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
Sometimes you look at the bigger ones and you realize, that the meat you'll get out of it isn't worth the real costs of the hunt.
You know the dragging a heavy animal out of the bush, and the butcher job of the larger animal. Which will lead to the wife complaining about the fact your walking with a limp for the next couple of weeks because you strained your muscles on the larger animal.
Dimitri

When I drag an elk out of the woods after quartering it, my horse does the hauling not me and as for the moose, the farmhand had a skidder and hauled it to my truck. I have also dragged out of the woods 22 deers, and never complained on my 12 pointer 5 years ago. It seems to me you must wonder before taking the shot if you want to go thru the extra work of harvesting a record size deer, elk, moose. Its a shame you feel that way Dimitri.

-> General