ar-15 composite lowers
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: ar-15 composite lowers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:56 am
    ----
Anyone have any opinions on a Plum Crazy or PCF composite lower? Saw some ar-15s at a gun show that had Plum Crazy lowers. The dealer I spoke with wasn't helpful at all and seemed to know nothing, actually maybe he was just a fill-in. Plum Crazy's web site seems to be in construction (since last year) due to a name change and isn't very helpful either. Anyway the gunshow guy has a shop in town and he sells complete lowers, that include composite trigger group (4-5lb pull) and adjustable stock, for $140. All reviews I've seen are good, the exception is that the trigger group is maybe not mil-spec but the rest of the lower is, including the stock attachments. Here's a video review

Suz

#2: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:18 am
    ----
I haven't seen those before. Personally, I'd be cautious if they haven't completed their website since last Oct. Makes me wonder what's going on with the business.

I found a few reviews online but only read one site. >> www.m4carbine.net/show...hp?t=29057

#3: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 am
    ----
I've seen one, about 3 years ago belonging to a friend, and what a POS it was. I didn't appear to be rigid enough.

Stay Alloy. and be happier.

My friend sold it to a sucker that deserved it.

#4: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:35 am
    ----
Wonder how many guns out there use polymer parts in the FCG's (eg, polymer hammer, etc). The MSAR STG E4AUG's, FN PS90's, FS2000's, have polymer FCG parts including a polymer hammer...I wouldn't think the lower is under so much stress anyway really. Just thinkin.

Suz

#5: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:24 pm
    ----
Ok I talked myself into it. I bought the lower today, lifetime warranty too. You all can balk at me all you want, but I'm also going to put a piston upper in 7.62x39 on it. I'm going to sell some guns to do it, so it may take a while. I thought of 6.8spc but I'm all set up for reloading the Russian stuff and have lots of ammo on hand anyway. I just love the fact that you can change calibers so easily....if you can spare the money. The trigger on this thing is very crisp with no creep at all.

Suz

#6: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:34 pm
    ----
Idea Idea Suz-Did they say anything about support;i.e. spare parts?Just saying. Ignore

#7: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:49 pm
    ----
Lifetime warranty, just bring it back where I bought it and they will take care of it. There were 4 guys in the shop that shoot these things and all said 100% reliable. Two of the guys I know are from the informal shooting range where I go. I didn't know they were shooting them, and one pointed out that he handed one to me at the range to shoot. I just didn't notice it I guess. It was a 223 and I remember thinking it was a tad light and quick to swing around, but the 223 isn't my cup-o-beans. The company is in business but they are in the midst of a name change and are busy getting out orders. I guess the web site is secondary right now. PCF is the new name because they are supplying to LE and the (military?) and were being thumbed by the Plum Crazy name.

Suz

#8: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm
    ----
Very Happy That good news Suz(LT warrantee),I saw them at a gunshow at expo here in portland,and was impressed by the price but not so much with the material.I have built a handfull of the metal ar's ,and know of their durability,so I'm slow to adapt to the composit stuff!

#9: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 am
    ----
Hey I have nothing better to do anyway. It's always looked like fun to build one, and in the spirit of Barbie you can choose which outfit suits your mood. If it doesn't go over very well at the prom then you can always change into something else.

Suz

#10: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:36 pm
    ----
Keep us nuts posted Suzi.

#11: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 pm
    ----
Hey Suz,
before and after photos would be nice for those of us down under, deemed unworthy or un trust worthy to play with a semi auto, not to mention it is an evil black in colour and has the killer pistol grip...................

#12: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 pm
    ----
I'll get right on it...the after photos will take a few months tho. Here's the lower (so I don't have to take a photo) and Here's the upper I want to put on it. They have an interesting fix for bolt tilt. It's a piston system in 7.62x39. I might just go with their carrier and opt for a different piston system that has an adjustable gas thing-a-ma-jig-a-roo-ery. Would like it to also free float. That's a lot to ask for but I've seen one, just gotta find it again

Suz

#13: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: terry264Location: Eastern-North Central West Virginia PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm
    ----
Anyone ever check out vulcan armament?

www.vulcanarmament.com...44946.9456

#14: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:45 pm
    ----
Terry, I just looked around the internet and can't find any reviews on it. I did find a review on the company itself. Used to be Hesse and they said Hesse was no good. Nice it has mil-spec innards, unlike the one I bought. It's made of carbon fiber, mine is "composite" material like the Glock pistolas. Wonder if the Vulcan is one piece construction. Mine is two halves bonded together. At least from the ad the Vulcan has a few things going for it and the price is right too, cheaper than what I bought, but mine was purchased in town, so there's a savings. Thanks for the information

Suz

#15: Re: ar-15 composite lowers Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:23 pm
    ----
Suzanne wrote:
Mine is two halves bonded together.

Suz, I would expect that your lower is one-piece but you are seeing the seam where the mold pieces but up together. Very interested in you project. Post often and include pics!

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions