Guys, RUOK?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 32, 33, 34  Next  :| |:
-> General

#166: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:57 pm
    ----
Ominivision1 wrote:

BTW, Stovey, you just made me hungry. Very Happy

My job is done here! Very Happy

Weeeee!

#167: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 pm
    ----
MMMmmmm elk burritos! that's got a yum factor of 10. Good for breakfast too just add an egg. You need a really good heater to keep you in business. Might find something local but you can shop internet style and see what's going to work for you. Cold weather and cold tools and hands just don't go together. Gloves can only get you so far. Maybe you can't have a flame but you can put the burner outside (add on a small closet to hide it) and blow the hot air in. Propane is pretty efficient, wood is a lot of work (unless you gots alota time). Read this article too and the comments under it, about radiant heat vs forced air and rust.

Suz
warm it up
first

#168: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 am
    ----
I spent most of the day researching heaters.

Propane/Gas: that's like burning 100$ bills up here.
Kerosene: I'm working indoors so...that aint happening. Plus it aint cheap. And messy.

Electric: I settled on the Fahrenheat FUH 54B, 17,500 BTU/5000wt, 240v. It's a mini-blast furnace. Heat when I need it, none when I don't. I did a lot of research on it. Fan forced hot air on demand- in calm air its pushes hot air 16 feet @ 300CFM. I don't need something to maintain the temp, just to heat the air in there as the roll up door opens and closes at times. It's on the way. It's 21* in there according to my tool box thermometer. Can't get here soon enough.

I would like to share a camp fire and smore's with Suz though...grrrrrowl!

#169: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:58 pm
    ----
Our shop had 4 Lanair waste oil furnaces 250K Btu per furnace bought a few years back and they literally needed maintenance every day. We bought 4 250gal holding tanks for each furnace and kept them inside the building to keep the waste oil warm.

4 days run on waste oil and the 5th day run on Kerosene to clean out the transfer pumps and nozzles. As the company has 48 semi's, there is plenty of waste oil to power the furnaces but still have to run Kerosene on the 5th day to clean everything out or you start manually cleaning the transfer pumps and nozzles.

Corporate (base out of California) says it saves costs vs Natural gas or Propane and it probably does since we are not paying for fuel the first 4 days of running, however the 5th day running Kerosene offsets the fuel savings.

#170: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 pm
    ----
Well Stovestuck I thought electricity was spensive in Az. but anyway the electric will keep the humidity down so that's a big plus too. Hope it works well for you. It's been below freezing day and night here for ever but starting Thursday it's suppose to be above freezing again (can't wait). Not used to this....maybe some flared up mesquite and black charred mallows would do the trick?

Suz
smells
sugar
burnin

#171: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:54 pm
    ----
Laughing Hey Stovey;I don't know what you did-but I think you've got Sue "smokin"! Shocked

#172: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 am
    ----
Updates:

Work- got SLOW in April. Been busy ever since then. Shop is hummin'!

Living- got a new spread. Saved my pennies and found a nice 35'r on the mountain. There is a nice draw in the back where I put my bow target bag. So deep 'n dark and brushy. It's raw and fun to send arrows back there.

Play- Long range/Hi-power, clays, HG tactics....aint shot in over a year. Too pricey and no time, still got all my gat's 'n gear-I'll hit it again soon. Once quail starts back up I am redoubling my efforts to hunt every week....which brings me to the next chapter.

Changes- I bought a used bow last week, a Martin Jag TD.I overhauled it and went to the local bowyer and he set me up. It looks like a recurve but is holds like a compound. Weird using a sight. I'm a traditional archer...so I also went to Hunters Friend and got a PSE Legacy, 68" longy. It's a package deal, I mean WOW, matched and tuned with shafts and leather bits. I dont have to go far to shoot FA, and I cannot in the 'hood, but I can bow hunt in the back. I keep busting Gambles on the trails here mtn biking. So SNARO'S gets the call for some flu-flu's and tips.

Overall- totally blessed. I am almost off the grid, working my ass off and making things happen my way. I miss hanging out at the fire with ya'll. But I don't have interweb at my 'ranch', nor phone either and soon I'll be producing electricity on my own. I think of everyone here whenever I hear a wing beat on a bump or hear an elk bugle.

Last edited by stovepipe on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total

#173: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:38 am
    ----
Pics:

1/2- The Stovepipe Ranch....

#174: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:42 am
    ----
New sticks...
Recurve is the "Cammo Hammer"-60",50#...what a snap shooter.
Longy is "Splinter"- 68", 45#...still being prepped should ship in 7 days.

#175: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:45 am
    ----
I have not pulled in 30 years but my eye is coming back fast. 3rd session, snap-shoot groups @ 25y....cant wait for bow season. I WILL hunt both bow and firearm this year.

#176: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 am
    ----
Stovies hunting again? Whew...The wild critters are safe again.

Hey!! It's about time you showed up. Everyone has been trying to figure out how to contact you. How 'bout posting a business card so if you disappear again we can contact you. Damn!! Stovies back.

#177: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26 pm
    ----
Somethings never change. Sun goes up, sun goes down, the amount of dust growing on ol' Grampy-pants get's thicker....ya know. Circle of Life stuff.

OH- yer new dentures is gona be late...my new bow? Same material...lots of it. Stand by fer creamed corn n' mashed 'taters- AGAIN.

Shocked

Laughing

www.facebook.com/pages...3559068143

www.pedals-n-pistons.com/

#178: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:08 pm
    ----
Good to hear from you Stoves!

#179: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:14 pm
    ----
Hi Gleners!!! Howdy

Pic 1: Modified the 5 pin sight for snap-shooting on the CamoHammer. Red= 25y, Orange= aprox 50y. Ignore the level, that's for stand shooting. I have only 3 sessions, 127 flights total through this recurve and am working on empty gallon jugs in flight. Not quite there but...if I put the jug between the pins it's a hit self-tossed. Noted that if I put a likeness of Bushy's mug on the jug the hit rate goes up. Hmm....what's up with that.

Pic 2: Snaro bird tip.

10 bux says if Grampers tried to full-draw the CamoHammer his Depends would bust off and shoot through the back-door of his long-johns! Ooooo- bad visual.

Shocked

Laughing

#180: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:22 pm
    ----
Glad to hear from you again Stovey!

-> General