Annual Pheasant Hunts
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:42 am
    ----
Last Thursday and Friday was the annual pheasant hunt for a group of fellows that meet every year to pursue the long-tailed bird. I am waiting on pictures that I will share. We have rain on Thursday afternoon and quit early to dry our after 17 birds. This is a regulated shooting ground that raises pheasants and they leave many birds in the fields all season long.

On Friday, a hunter who has not shot at pheasants for over 30 years got a double. Another fellow who just started hunting ringnecks got a triple. I go again next week with another group. All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am
    ----
Holy smokes a triple?

Man that ringer shootin' sounds fun!

I want IN.

Pics man!

#3: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 pm
    ----
sounds like fun. good to hear the group leave a few to spread out and give a few birds for others to bag. the game preserves/shooting ranches over here are a bit contrivertial but provide birds for us poor folks by puttting birds outside the fences into places we CAN go. the local riverbeds by them are quite well stocked.

#4: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:16 pm
    ----
ROOOOOOOOOSTER!!!

#5: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 am
    ----
Man, do I miss pheasant hunting! It just isn't worth it here any more. The population is way down and the access to hunting ground dwindles more every year. Glad there are some places where the population is healthy. Have fun and shoot a few for me!

#6: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 am
    ----
That is something SSL, being one state over, we have pheasants up the gazoo. I lost count how many I've gotten with my pickup.

#7: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:14 am
    ----
River's too wide. Needa bridge fer the birds to cross over on.

#8: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 am
    ----
Think the birds are following the lead of industry here...moving to other states!

#9: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:00 pm
    ----
Gil,
I went to the same place you did with a gang that gets together every year. There were four hunters in our party and we get 21 birds the first afternoon and 23 on the following morning hunt. We eat the birds and they are great. The dogs were fantastic and the weather was beautiful.

On the way home, I stopped at a gun shop to get more shotgun ammo. I walked out with a mint condition Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge IC with vent rib barrel. I got the shotgun cheap and left the ammo for next week. Take care...
Joe

#10: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 pm
    ----
Pheasant shooting opportunities in the US look to be a lot less than here in the UK & there are usually a few birds on the farms where we shoot vermin.
Historically there has always been a LOT of commercial pheasant shoots here, so straying birds have populated much of the countryside & are thus free for the taking to whoever has shooting rights over the land.

#11: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:18 am
    ----
You know, I've never seen a wild pheasant. As far as I know they are not really plentiful out here in Australia, which actually surprises me a bit because the Poms bought most of their game animals from home back in the 1800s which no doubt would have included game birds.

Would love to hunt them one day...I believe they are a magnificent table bird.

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 am
    ----
there must be some around somewhere Vince. as for thier table value, in my most humble opinion they are quite similar to the humble bunny and can be over cooked and go dry very easy. do I enjoy eating them??? hell yes.

#13: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:55 am
    ----
As best I can see with a search of the net, there are a couple of spots where you can hunt pheasant...but they are few and far between, and it is not a cheap exercise.

Cheers, Vince

#14: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:38 am
    ----
Vince wrote:

Would love to hunt them one day...I believe they are a magnificent table bird.
Cheers, Vince

Actually they are not the premier wild bird for the table. The best thing about pheasant is that they soak up the flavor of spices and sauces very well.

For the table, you just can't beat grouse. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm they have the most delicious flavor, all on their own. Darn buggers are masters at stopping your heart when flushing and immediately putting trees between you and them. A dog is almost a must-have.

#15: Re: Annual Pheasant Hunts Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:11 pm
    ----
I dont enjoy hunting half as much without a dog along, they just add so much fun to the day and the chance of loosing wounded game is cut waaay down.

-> Small Game Hunting