More Good Times And Good Friends
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#16: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: vmaster59Location: West Tx. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:32 am
    ----
inthedark wrote:
vmaster59 wrote:
"Well you're in the country where they started out." What?

Clint

Coyotes are originally a desert animal that were spread from the desert areas from old mexico into the desert southwest/great plains and on up to southern saskatchewan, southern alberta and a bit into manitoba. They are now all the way up to arctic red river in northwest territory and even on newfoundland.

And this means what?

Clint

#17: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm
    ----
It means that you live in the area where coyotes originated, being the desert south of North America.

#18: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: vmaster59Location: West Tx. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:49 pm
    ----
LOL man you need to study!

Clint

#19: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:05 am
    ----
Despite being extensively hunted, the coyote is one of the few medium-to-large-sized animals that has enlarged its range since human encroachment began. It originally ranged primarily in the western half of North America, but it has adapted readily to the changes caused by human presence and, since the early 19th century, has been steadily and dramatically extending its range.[52] Sightings now commonly occur in a majority of the United States and Canada.[53] Coyotes inhabit nearly every contiguous U.S. state and Alaska. Coyotes have moved into most of the areas of North America formerly occupied by wolves, and are often observed foraging in suburban garbage bins.

This was from these texts;
^ Gompper, M. 2002. Top Carnivores in the Suburbs? Ecological and conservation issues raised by colonization of North-eastern North America by coyotes. BioScience 52:185–190.
^ George A. Feldhamer; Bruce Carlyle Thompson; Joseph A. Chapman (2003). Wild mammals of North America: biology, management, and conservation. JHU Press. pp. 467–. ISBN 9780801874161. Retrieved 10 May 2011.

My point is, what's wrong with what he said? Not trying to be antagonistic but if you have some other information, please share. I'm here for an education.

Suz

#20: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:48 pm
    ----
I saw something on a predator hunting show yesterday that said you could remove 75% of the coyote population and they would still be spreading. Not sure what their source was.

#21: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:41 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
I saw something on a predator hunting show yesterday that said you could remove 75% of the coyote population and they would still be spreading. Not sure what their source was.
I found a good Scientific discussion forum at the Newfoundland Nature site. It is a good read and explains from the prospective of coyotes on the largest island on the eastern coast of N.America. It gives a good background to populations in Yellowstone NP and the interaction with coyotes and the reintroduced wolves. It supports what you saw on your hunting show Pumpkin. I cannot for the life of me find the proper term that explains population dynamics of predators correctly but I will keep trying.
Chimo
Ron

#22: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: vmaster59Location: West Tx. PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:46 pm
    ----
What I'm talkimg about is where they started at millons of years ago.

#23: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:05 pm
    ----
Looks kinda like coyotes originated in TX.

"By 40 million years ago the first clearly identifiable member of the dog family Canidae had arisen. It was called Prohesperocyon wilsoni and was found in what is now southwestern Texas."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canidae

#24: Re: More Good Times And Good Friends Author: vmaster59Location: West Tx. PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:22 am
    ----
But Texas wasn't where is it today.

Clint

-> Varmint Hunting