mt GPS is not working???
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: mt GPS is not working??? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 am
    ----
Mad whats going on guys my good reliable yellow hand held garmin etrex has suddenly stopped picking up satalites Shocked
does anybody know why????
sure its cloudy outside but its never done this before its not getting any signal at all. Sad

#2: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:20 am
    ----
Bat flatteries maybe?

Seriously though mate...it sounds like one of the wee electrical doody-whackers on the inside has gone ppphhhhttttt.

Check out this website mate...it may help:

Master Reset on my eTrex 10

Cheers, Vince

#3: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 am
    ----
Mine has never worked when the clouds are laying low or when the fog is really dense !!!

#4: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 am
    ----
Hummmm...Wierd...Funny...My compass works no matter what the weather. And no flatteries to go bat.

#5: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 am
    ----
Same here Bushy...I would be "lost" out in the ooloo if it wasn't for my Silva compass and map.

Cheers, Vince

#6: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:56 am
    ----
I never knew there was a re-set on the E-Trex. I quit using mine pretty much, it gets a sporadic signal in the woods and I've tried a track-back a few times and got questionable results. Works great in the desert, where I never needed it. What is really annoying is the tiny display and scale of the track. It's interesting to me that people can even use it while hunting or hiking. Unless you're going to a known destination, it's sketchy at best. I'd be afraid to use it as my only direction finder. I'd use a map, compass and altimeter for best results. I used to find old mines that way in the desert and water holes for fishing. Tha's another story....

Suz

#7: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am
    ----
Shocked I've had very good luck with mine! It's an etrex legend cx.or ex whatever.I used it to find the corners on a 40 acre piece that I only had one pin to read off of!It came in within 6 feet on all sides and 10 ft on the corners.It also helped me to find out that the county had tried to "short sheet" us on 120' of one side-due to the way that the access road was put in back in 1930.It definately paid for itself!I used it again last elk season out trapseing around the woods behind my place in the tall timber-came in 100% on the money!Maybe I just got lucky and got one made on a tuesday! Very Happy

#8: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:16 am
    ----
Map and compass man myself although I own a couple of GPS's and we use them all the time at work. One basic problem is the signals from the satellites are very weak and any poorly designed transmitter that uses a close signal can overwhelm the GPS signals. Newer receivers have filters to help prevent this from occurring but they aren't perfect.

To test your own unit, reset per the units instructions which may entail removing the batteries. Place the unit in a place fully open to the sky and away from obvious sources of radio interference. Give it a full hour to reacquire the local constellation and get a fix. If it still doesn't work borrow another one and repeat the process in the same location using the second GPS for comparison. Still no signal and I would say your unit is TU for sure.

#9: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm
    ----
I gave it to the nearest genius (my wonderful wee wifey) and she read the manual!!!! the time was wrong but date was right. when the prompting was asking ME if date was right I punched in yes WRONG!!!!!
my nearest n dearest punched in no and Bobs your uncle straight away it reset itself and works fine again.
I do carry a wobbly made by Silva aswell always have, always will. my hunting block is great as ALL waterways lead out past the car, you have to go as least 5 kms north or south to get into another watershed and that still leads out to the same road.
hopefully someone else can make use of this easy solution when their geepers creepers goes kerfut.

#10: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm
    ----
I sorta know that a map is a big piece of paper with picture on it, but
Whats a compass? must be an OLD thing..

#11: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm
    ----
Shocked wash your mouth out you heathen you Shocked Shocked
Very Happy Very Happy
yip a map is a drawing/scribble usually on a bit of paper but maybe scrawled in the dust by your mates big toe Very Happy
but a compass??? well thats a wobbly bit of metal in a glass/plastic cased doohicky that points the same way usually north unless you have got it too close to your sheath knife n steel on your belt in which case you wont be able to do diddly squat with it as it will point to your magnetic end of the steel Very Happy and yes us older folk used them to find our way around back when dinasours still ruled the earth.some of us still do.

#12: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:05 pm
    ----
Don't let him fool ya, Elvis. Elmer Fudd and Gelandangan are the same age. No spring chicken.

#13: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:29 pm
    ----
I have a garman gps 12, and it works fine outside or inside. No problems here. But the thing with the wobbly bit of iron ?????

#14: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:48 pm
    ----
Very Happy

#15: Re: mt GPS is not working??? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 pm
    ----
Believe it or not my old Magellan Color Trac hasn't failed me yet, even in the darkest timber. I carry a compass as well as my Magellan and have never needed to use my compass. I also have a Garmin in my vehicle and both have been excellent.

As for yours ................ what Vince said. Smile

-> General