Man That is Some Coyote
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#16: Re: Man That is Some Coyote Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:04 pm
    ----
LOL Aloy. I believe the reason given is to discourage people poaching moose, bear and caribou with the heavier rifles. I also made a typo. The max caliber is .225 not .25 and must be a center-fire rifle or a shotgun with #2 shot or larger. Most here use .223 or 22-250. My preference is .223 just for recoil and noise reasons. The season runs from Sept. to July. If you have a big game or small game license you can use any caliber that is legal for that license during the respective open seasons including a rim-fire .22. I agree it all makes little real sense as a 90 grain .223 or 22-250 has become the rifle poachers are now using and the free coyote license is simply convenient cover. It amounts to the same as the gun control laws. The "Illegals" don't care what the law says.

TRBLSHTR. Hunting is under provincial jurisdiction and the rules may be different in other provinces. The feds only cover hunting on federal lands, for marine species and migratory waterfowl.

“…the hunter ordinarily
has no gallery to
applaud or disapprove
of his conduct.
Whatever his acts, they
are dictated by his own
conscience, rather than
a mob of onlookers…”
- Aldo leopold

#17: Re: Man That is Some Coyote Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:56 pm
    ----
and the poachers would have a field day with that ,carry the 12 ga but have a pocket full of #2 #BBs and a few buckshot and solids too!!!
mind you though it would be hard to say you are after coyotes if you are dragging a moose. from what Ive shot with #BBs which is a lot of wallabies up to 30kgs + they are great out to around the 60yrd mark.

#18: Re: Man That is Some Coyote Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:47 pm
    ----
Finally the results are in. It is a Labrador grey wolf. It is the first confirmed one on the island since 1930. It was seen with a female coyote and they are now concerned that they had mated.

#19: Re: Man That is Some Coyote Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:55 am
    ----
I guess it would retrieve your deer for you too then???

-> Varmint Hunting