Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> General

#31: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: mikekuzaraLocation: Farson, Wyoming PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:42 pm
    ----
I had a Sig SP2340 (polymer frame) in .40 S&W. In 5000 rounds of various types of ammo it never had a single failure. It is also the most accurate handgun (factory not custom) I have ever shot. Consistantly producing 1/2 inch groups even after thousands of rounds. It was easy to disassemble and clean, and was very comfortable to shoot. It was my duty gun and I liked it so much, I bought one after I left law enforcement.

The great thing about the SP2340 is that it will change back and forth between .40 S&W and .357 Sig by only changing the barrel. The magazines are the same.

#32: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:52 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
10Ring,

I didnt know that. I feel lost and confused when it comes to handguns. Sad

The Canadian Forces issues to the Navy, AirForce and Special Forces P225's and P226's instead of the standard issue Browning Hi-Power.

Tell me though what is your take on the SIG verse other types of pistol and would a SIG in 40 S&W or 357SIG be ok for hunting ??

Dimitri

It's ok to feel lost and confused, that's why you are here getting good advice and opinions from all of us. Very Happy

I really don't know about a P225??? Are you sure it isn't a P245? Confused

Like i said, Sig is good.....Just not in my biased hands because of the one incident with them (stress crack in frame), mentally i don't trust them now.
Now, at CLOSE RANGE a HOT .40 can do the job as we as the .357sig but do i recommend it....No! You just don't have the barrel length to "effectively" harvest an animal. Argumentatively, because the .357sig somewhat closely duplicates 357Mag ballistics (although it's limited to...i believe the heaviest 147 grain bullet), a hot (MAX) load should give you mid magnum ballistics but will suffer greatly down range from the lack of energy.
Minimum (ethical) semi-auto round for hunting i would say is a 10MM (unless you have a Desert Eagle 357mag and effective hunting range varies from barrel length to gun) because you have the extra velocity/energy plus the weight. Plus there are a few flavors to select from in 10MM for hunting and weather you want a 1911 or high power style and even a Glock, you can't go wrong by hunting with this round.

I'm glad i haven't scared you away....yet Laughing Cool

Take care

#33: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:10 pm
    ----
Boy!! I'll tell ya...With 10ring around here one can't get even one word in...10ring...Shut up... Bonk Hiding Ignore Now what was I going to say...Oh yeah...What 10ring said. I prefer revolvers, both SAA or DA, over an auto loader in the forest anyday. Just trust them more.

#34: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: Coyote_Hunter_Location: Franktown, CO PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:22 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:

Tell me though what is your take on the SIG verse other types of pistol and would a SIG in 40 S&W or 357SIG be ok for hunting ??

It depends on where you are hunting and what the game is. Here in Colorado a handgun used to hunt elk and deer has to have a barrel 4” long and deliver 550 foot-pounds at 50 yards. Taking loads from the Hornady Sixth Edition, a .357 Mag flinging a 125g @ 1500fps or a 140g @ 1400fps works, but none of the .357 Sig or .40S&W loads make the cut.

My uncle had a 10” Ruger .357 Mag customized for himself back in the 50’s when he was flying the bush and running a lodge in Alaska. The longer barrel would help the velocity but in big bear country I would want a .44 or .45Colt or .454 Casull. Or bigger.

#35: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:58 pm
    ----
Thanks for all the replies Very Happy

Quote::
I'm glad i haven't scared you away....yet

Dont worry I dont get scared. Let along getting scared to run away. Very Happy 10mm min for Auto's got ya.

It's ok to feel lost and confused, that's why you are here getting good advice and opinions from all of us. Very Happy

Yup Cheers

I really don't know about a P225??? Are you sure it isn't a P245? Confused

Thats what this site says the Canadian Forces are armed with: www.sfu.ca/casr/101-c9mmsig.htm

But, the CF had its own reason for selecting the P-225 for special issue to fighter pilots and naval boarding parties. These weapons are light, compact, and handy.
And
JTF2 reportedly uses the SIG-Sauer P-226 (a long-barreled P-225 with a 15-round clip), P-228 (a ‘wide-bodied’ P-225 with a 13-round magazine), and the steel-bodied P-229 (in the large-calibre .40" S&W).

Now I dont know the SIG site doesnt list a P225 so I'll imagine they are calling the shorter P226 a P225 when thats not what its really called. Laughing

Bushmaster,

Have a drink. 10Ring might post faster but you posting what you feel (which is the same as him) is good. It helps support his arguments for one thing over the other Wink

Coyote_Hunter,

Thats interesting. So the 45 Long Colt is a pretty big bullet compared to the 45ACP ??

And the 454 Casull is the strongest handgun bullet is it not ?? Atleast from more traditional (older) rounds ?? Confused

Dimitri

#36: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:09 pm
    ----
Hey Bushmaster, have a drink on me.....don't worry, the check is in the mail Fart Cool Nananana Cheers

Dimitri: That's cool......the P225 isn't legal in America? wtf I don't know for sure, but from what a gunsmith buddy of mine said it's like what a Glock model 25 & 28 (in .380) is to the states....which is wierd to me. But i know Flint54 shot the Glock in 380 Flame JEALOUS @#$! and *&()@#
Howdy Flint Very Happy ....The Glocks in 380 are the only glock i haven't shot.....but Flint54 has Sad ....Yes, i'm STILL JEALOUS Cool Pray

I should take it easy on good 'ol bushmaster though......because he does live in KALIBANia......I'm just thankful he still has the guns.....errrr the claiming of the ones he does! Shocked Yep, it's getting worse out there Mad

With the 454 Casull....nothing traditional about that round, it's as traditional as the 480 Ruger and 500 S&W mag to me....and in no way is it the strongest handgun bullet, with the 475 Linebaugh, 500 S&W, and many other wildcats that far exceed that round......But, the 454 is effective to say the least Cool

#37: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:24 pm
    ----
The P225 is 9mm not 380cal. I think.

It wasnt banned. Just they've been "temperaly" discontinued. If you google it you will find sites telling you its been discontinued. Smile

64.233.161.104/search?...=firefox-a

Dimitri

#38: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
Yeah it's a 9mm.....i was just comparison to the Glock. Smile

Wow looks like you're right Cool Maybe with it being discontinued, the thought's were that it was banned......but again, i don't know?

#39: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:58 pm
    ----
My P225 is an alloy frame, single stack 9mm. It is an easy concealed carry and well made.

Rumor mill has it that Glock will distribute the 380ACP in the US this year; it has been around Europe for several years.

#40: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:00 pm
    ----
Woah, now that would be cool.....thanks for the heads up Handloader Very Happy

Finally....the ONLY Glock i haven't shot, i soon will Cool

#41: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
10ring,

You really like the Glocks dont you ?? Smile

Dimitri

#42: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:51 am
    ----
Ahhh....who me......like Glocks? Shocked Very Happy

Yeah, i like them very much because of their reliability and simplicity. I've carried one (or 2) for which will be 15 years this year and have got to know them very well. I have carried others (S&W, Sig, Kimber, Beretta, Springfield, Wilson, STI, Para, and Ruger) as well in that time, however, i've always went back to Glocks shortly after. I even became a Glock Armorer and my instructor was asking "ME" questions on how i modified my Glock to have the trigger fire from reset, and at only 1.5 pound pull. Cool

My next project will probably be getting a new Glock 20 lower, buying a 45L upper, and a 10MM/45 barrel (which in essence is a 10MM bull barrel to fit in the 45 silde) and make that my primary hunting gun. Very Happy

#43: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:59 am
    ----
Sounds neat 10Ring Smile

How'd you get the Armour courses ?? Confused

Dimitri

#44: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:08 am
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
Sounds neat 10Ring Smile

How'd you get the Armour courses ?? Confused

Dimitri

Apprenticing....they send you for armorer courses with the major pistol manufacturers. Cool

#45: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:12 am
    ----
lol 10Ring,

I ment how do you get into them. What do you need to do/be to get them Razz

And who is "They" when your refering to the people that send you Razz

Dimitri

-> General