Hunting in North carolina?
-> General

#1: Hunting in North carolina? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:40 am
    ----
Since this is the General forum I figured i will post this here. I will be retiring soon from the USAF and the wife and I are looking at Raliegh NC for a permanent move.

Living in Wyoming obviously I am spoiled so I gotta ask.\
What is hunting there like? Limits? Big game small game etc. Thanx

#2: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 am
    ----
Ummm why do you want to move out of WY? Its in the top 3 states for hunting IMO (CO and AK being the other contenders). What is the appeal of NC?

-DallanC

#3: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:29 pm
    ----
IT IS CALLED A WIFE DALLAN! Evil or Very Mad

#4: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:14 pm
    ----
Howdy POP. My dad lives in ASH Co N.C. They do pretty good with the deer, they got Turkey , BobCat , yotes, and the ocassional Black bear running around the Mountain. I'm not sure of the bag limits though you could check it on the State F@G link here on the site, that should give ya all the info on bag limits. NC is a fine state I plan on moving there my self in the future Very Happy
Joe

#5: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:16 am
    ----
Cool Howdy Pop, I live in the far NorthEastern part of NC. Our limit on deer is 6 per season and 2 daily. There are black bear, adn turkey along with small game. One of the most written about duck & waterfowl hunting areas is the Chesapeake Bay area and also Currituck County / Outer Banks area. The biggest problem in this area though is the ammount of private land vs public land. Further west you have many State & National Forest areas. I would say that the hunting is very good but the deer are small in relation to those that I'm used to in Minnesota and the Great Lakes Region. A deer that dresses out at #160 is a HUGE deer in this area. About the only hunting here I dislike is the archery deer season, it starts in September and you have to contend with heat 80+, heavy bugs (skeeters) and snakes galore! Timber & Eastern Diamondbacks, Water Mocks & Copperheads, now and then Corals also. This ares is very swampy so the snakes are very abundant. I hope to get out to western NC this coming year and give the mountains a try. Cool

#6: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:50 pm
    ----
Nice. No elk, antelope prairie dogs...but I can live with that Very Happy

#7: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:06 pm
    ----
Shooting We got NUTRIA!!!! Shooting

#8: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: firehawk209Location: Hickory,NC PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:56 pm
    ----
hey pop. check out www.ncwildlife.org they have changed alot of rules for us this year. i live in the foothills of NC and the hunting is pretty good and we have quiet a bit of public land in the western part of the state.

#9: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: Swampman PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 am
    ----
The deer hunting is pretty good.

#10: Re: Hunting in North carolina? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 am
    ----
I passed a flock of 20+ turkeys on the way to work Monday. I see deer every 3 days or so. Not as many groundhogs as there used to be but that may be due to an increase in coyotes. There are some HUGE black bears in eastern NC, I think the current record weight came from there. You might be interested in this map too: www.deerhunting.ws/densitymap.htm

-> General