gun oil
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: gun oil Author: bigJake165Location: Western Oklahoma PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 am
    ----
What is the best type of oil for duck hunting up north?

#2: Re: gun oil Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:01 pm
    ----
I haven't had any problems with BreakFree CLP. Just don't drown the gun, clean and lube every evening.

#3: Re: gun oil Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:02 pm
    ----
I live in the Minnesota tundra and I use MilTech, Hoppe's, Rem Oil, Barrier, pretty much any quality oil will work up here. Just make sure you take the guns out of the case and let them warm up inside before cleaning and oiling. As guns warm up they will "sweat".

#4: Re: gun oil Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:18 pm
    ----
I use a lot of breakfree and like it...... I would think it would do just fine in those temps....

#5: Re: gun oil Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:25 pm
    ----
I use a 50/50 mix of Dexron and kerosine for my gun oil. It is effective, long lasting and extremely cheap. I also use it for household oil for everything from door hinges to the sewing machine.
It works above 100F and below -20F. The only drawback is that it is not heavier than water so it won't displace water - for that I use WD-40 and then the gun oil.

#6: Re: gun oil Author: bigJake165Location: Western Oklahoma PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:54 pm
    ----
Thanks guys

#7: Re: gun oil Author: ArronLocation: Cen.Iowa, by way of SWIowa PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:47 pm
    ----
Mili-Tec 1!!!!!! TO clean with I use the other stuff. I LOVE MILI-TEC 1!!!!

#8: Re: gun oil Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:13 am
    ----
bigJake165 wrote:
What is the best type of oil for duck hunting up north?

By "up north" I presume you mean where it is cold. I don't oil my guns and there was no rust issue even after hunting sea ducks in Alaska; are you hunting further north than Alaska? If so, there is even more reason not to use oil. A couple of products will lubricate and prevent rust that aren't oil; they would be Microlon Gun Juice and Prolix.

I don't understand why people look for "cheap" when for the price of a few cartridges you could get a good product that would work better.

#9: Re: gun oil Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:36 am
    ----
Straight ATF...

#10: Re: gun oil Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am
    ----
break free CLP works fine for me.

#11: Re: gun oil Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 am
    ----
I also use BreakFree.

#12: Re: gun oil Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:11 am
    ----
I too use Breakfree...but then again, I'm not in the freezing cold. Not sure what oil would be good in that climate, although I know there are guys here that are familiar with that problem, so they will sure enough give you the "good oil" mate.

#13: Re: gun oil Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 am
    ----
+1 for Bushie's ATF if it is synthetic. It has a very low pour point (-55f) and doesn't start to lose viscosity until about -11. In arctic weather exercises we used to clean all oil from the actions of our weapons including the gas piston. That was years ago and I assume modern gun oils which contain no parafinic compounds will remain fluid at low temperatures.

#14: Re: gun oil Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 pm
    ----
Being from Ely, I have deer hunted in -40 temps. Never had trouble with any lube, but use it sparingly.
Even late season duck hunting in Manitoba's Delta Marsh, I just oiled sparingly with no problems.
My favorite is CLP though.

Eric

#15: Re: gun oil Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 pm
    ----
there is an article in an American Rifleman from a couple years back, if I can did it up I will post some of it for reference. They did testing of all the gun oils on the market, and WD40. as far as the best for rust prevention and over all protection, WD40 won, believe it or not. Even with its propensity to attack dirt and get gummy after a while. But I still prefer Break Free

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions