Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824167
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

He don't know me very well
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Here's a little e-mailing I did today. There's a gunsmith just out of town that i was recommended to so I wrote him this note;

Hello!
I have a Mauser 98 action that I have installed in a wood laminate stock. I have a take-off 8mm Mauser barrel that the military 'steps' have been turned down to a taper and would like it cut to 22", crowned and installed (headspaced) onto the action.

I would like an inexpensive low scope safety installed.
The bolt needs a tune-up of some sort, it opens very hard (cock on opening).
I would like an inexpensive flat black finish on the metal except for the bolt.

Please send me an e-mail price estimate, include options if you think of any. I live in Springfield and would love to drop it off.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here's his reply:

You used the word "in expensive" word twice. I don't do "inexpensive" parts or work. I use only quality parts by known manufactures. If you check my prices on the website, they're in line for the quality of work I do. If you want a nice build done right, don't be inexpensive about it. You may want to shop for an "inexpensive" gunsmith.

Sincerely, WVG
-------------------------------------------------------------

OK now here's my reply back:

Let me clairify what I mean by inexpensive. The last gunsmith I went to in Eugene was a drunk. He did work on my rifle that I didn't want him to do. He bought the most expensive scope base he could find, he botched the fitment to the stock I paid a good deal for. If you can be reasonable in price that's all I ask. I know there are low scope safetys that can be from $19 to $240, I don't know how you are going to handle the transaction. In that big of a spread of prices, which one are you going to choose to give me what I want? I don't want top of the heap when it's not necessary, that's why I asked you for options. I want to know how you are going to handle it. Finishes are the same way, I don't want a million dollar finish. I want a finish that will do the job, so what do you have to offer??? I was hoping you were open to suggestion because I am and I want to be able to work with someone on this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
OK now let me tell you the restraint I have looks reasonable but my temperature has gone up to the sweat stage and is rising. It's so darned hard to find someone close to home. I guess he doesn't want to mess with it. I don't want to tell him off but I also don't want him to do any work for me....shall I go for it and give him the finger or shall I be calm and act nice to him.

Suz

wiersy111

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Wait and see what his reply is and if he gives you the holier then thou attitude then bring him down to earth. I prefer face to face or at least phone contact. This way you can tell more about them by their body language and town of his voice. Then I can match or exceed their attitude. Sometimes it's very aggravating but other times it's just plain fun.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Suz

Yes I would definitely let him know how you feel about it, it seems derogatory to me that he would reply in the way he did.

You are potentially going to hire him to work on your gun to your satisfaction and safety and I would also ask him where he learned his communication skills with customers!!

Remember Suz, you have the upper hand as you are the customer and can damned well take your gun to another shop. Mad

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

give him the benifit of the dought. he may have got your note just after dealing with a real dropkick Evil or Very Mad Mad . wait and see his reply then go see him face to face Drive . take your bitsa rifle and something else you have to show the sort of finish/quality job you require Sniper . If he is rude after that deck the hua... Bonk Faint

Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

I'm so pissed....soon as I saw a very short reply, my temp went up. Now I have to send my gun through the mail. I don't intend to send this guy anything, but I'm going to copy my e-mails and give them to the two gun shops that recommended him. It's funny too because the one gun shop owner gave me this guys business card and I asked if there was anyone else he could steer me to and he said nope, no one that'd I trust to do a good job. He sort of gave me an attitude too. They don't want my business, then they won't get it. Probably think I'm a dyke or something anyway. I should find ole Jonny boy to tag along....sometimes he's pretty useless tho. Heck.....he'd probably agree with the guy, I've seen Jon back out of places so fast....blue eyed coward. HA! Oh well can't wait to here back from this guy, I'm expecting either no reply or some awkward fake smile reply, either way he's gettin my temper in his face.

Suz
Here's where he lives WVGUNSMITH

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Well, I'm not too impressed with the web site... After reading his response I'd just find someone else.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Suz,
I did not like the response the gunsmith gave to your questions. He displays an arrogance and attitude that would not sit well with me.

I am spoiled by having the greatest master gunsmith and friend just down the road from my house. I dropped off a sporterized 1903-A3 Springfield last week to be rebarreled. While I was in his shop, I mentioned that I needed to replace a firing pin assembly in a sporterized 1903 Springfield. Friend Lester gave me a handful of 1903 Springfield firing pin assemblies and told me to take them home and try them in my sporterized Springfield with a low scope safety. He said, just bring back what you don't need. Now that is a great gunsmith. He also does work from all across the country and has built rifles for CEOs of national companies that you would recognize. All the best...
Gil

44marty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Hi Suz. just this: "You used the word "in expensive" word twice. " would definitely put me off. I certainly wouldn't send him my rifle - then he has the upper hand.
It sucks that there isn't a decent local gunsmith in your area. Maybe you should try Gil's friend.

EDIT: Oh, I see now that this guy IS local. I would go see him in person before making judgement (but his e-mail reply is pretty arrogant).

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

I'm sorta torn between the reply from Elvis and the rest of the guys.

I certainly agree that his reply is arrogant and condescending at the least, but as Elvis said, maybe he had a bad day. Whichever way, he is a clod for putting in writing what he did and regardless of anything else he would not get any work from me.

If you "get into his face" I don't see that it would achieve anything other than raise your blood pressure, and most likely his as well. I am like Wiersay, face to face is the preferred method of letting him know how you feel. A "sweet as pie" reply to him that you wouldn't allow him to work on your rifle because of his attitude, which would no doubt reflect his work ethic as well would no doubt put him in his place. I would also let him know in no uncertain terms that you know what you are talking about and have more than an average understanding of firearms.

The final thing I would let know is that his best advertisement is a happy satisfied customer. By virtue of his arrogant attitude he has lost your custom and you will also pass this on to your firearm owner friends.

Don't give him the satisfaction of an argument...you don't want to stoop to his level mate. That way you walk out smiling and he is left with a bellyful of stress at loosing a customer.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

The way he word his reply, I reckon business must have been booming for that guy.

Regardless of how bad his day is, a professional must and will separate emotion from work.
His arrogant reply shows that his level of professionalism is not up to scratch.
Who the hell he think he is, putting potential customers down like that?

I would not have given him any job at all.
If there are no other smith close by, then so be it, coz that guy is as good as nothing anyway.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
ROADJOCKY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Hey Guy's & Gal, If you go to this man face to face and show him exactly what you want and the amount of money you want to spend there would be no question as to the outcome.The e-mail sucked no doubt about it.Just meet him face to face he may be the greatest guy in the world and you have made a good friend if not shake the dust from your feet and leave. GOD still loves you both!! TWO WRONG'S DON'T MAKE A RIGHT!! Very Happy
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

right on the money Roadjockey.

English Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

His reply made me think he was someone I know from AZ by reputation & personal contact. Shocked

IMO I'd find another person to do the work who doesn't make ASSumptions & has a more customer oriented attitude.
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Thank you all.....still waitin for a lame reply. Well EngMike I'm sending it to another guy for sure, I'm just curious what this guy ends up doin. He's either going to reply or thumb his nose at me. I have a guy a few hours drive from here, I'll have to mail it. Wonder how you do that anyway. I know the USPS will take it, and I have a Type IIl licence, just don't know who to talk to at the post office. You have to have it inspected before you ship it or write a letter or something.....blasted pile of paperwork. I almost said Censored

Suz

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: He don't know me very well Reply with quote

Suz
Go to the post office and ask for form 1508, since you have a type 3 license you will need to fill out this short form. Also make sure it is insured.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 7