HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: patrad69
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 13133

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 251
BOT: 1
Total: 252
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Home
03: Forums
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Forums
08: Forums
09: Forums
10: Home
11: Forums
12: Home
13: Forums
14: Home
15: Forums
16: Forums
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Home
20: Forums
21: Forums
22: Forums
23: Forums
24: Forums
25: Forums
26: Forums
27: Home
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Home
32: Forums
33: Forums
34: Home
35: Forums
36: Forums
37: Forums
38: Forums
39: Forums
40: Forums
41: Forums
42: Forums
43: Forums
44: Forums
45: Forums
46: Forums
47: Forums
48: Forums
49: Forums
50: Forums
51: Home
52: Forums
53: Home
54: Forums
55: Forums
56: Forums
57: Forums
58: Home
59: Your Account
60: Forums
61: Forums
62: Forums
63: Forums
64: Forums
65: Home
66: Photo Albums
67: Forums
68: Forums
69: Forums
70: Forums
71: Forums
72: Forums
73: Forums
74: Forums
75: Forums
76: Forums
77: Forums
78: Home
79: Home
80: Photo Albums
81: Home
82: Forums
83: Forums
84: Forums
85: Photo Albums
86: Forums
87: Forums
88: Forums
89: Forums
90: Forums
91: Forums
92: Forums
93: Forums
94: Forums
95: Forums
96: Forums
97: Forums
98: Forums
99: Home
100: Forums
101: Forums
102: Home
103: Home
104: Your Account
105: Forums
106: Forums
107: Home
108: Forums
109: Forums
110: Forums
111: Forums
112: Home
113: Forums
114: Forums
115: Forums
116: Forums
117: Forums
118: Home
119: Forums
120: Home
121: Your Account
122: Forums
123: Forums
124: Forums
125: Home
126: Forums
127: Home
128: Forums
129: Forums
130: Photo Albums
131: Forums
132: Forums
133: Forums
134: Your Account
135: Forums
136: Forums
137: Forums
138: Forums
139: Forums
140: Forums
141: Forums
142: Forums
143: Home
144: Forums
145: Home
146: Forums
147: Forums
148: Forums
149: Forums
150: Home
151: Forums
152: Home
153: Forums
154: Forums
155: Home
156: Forums
157: Forums
158: Forums
159: Forums
160: Home
161: Forums
162: Forums
163: Forums
164: Forums
165: Forums
166: Home
167: Home
168: Forums
169: Forums
170: Forums
171: Forums
172: Your Account
173: Home
174: Forums
175: Home
176: Forums
177: Forums
178: Forums
179: Forums
180: Forums
181: Forums
182: Home
183: Forums
184: Forums
185: Forums
186: Forums
187: Forums
188: Forums
189: Forums
190: Home
191: Home
192: Forums
193: Forums
194: Photo Albums
195: Forums
196: Home
197: Forums
198: Forums
199: Forums
200: Home
201: Home
202: Forums
203: Forums
204: Home
205: Home
206: Forums
207: Forums
208: Forums
209: Forums
210: Forums
211: Forums
212: Forums
213: Home
214: Home
215: Home
216: Home
217: Home
218: Forums
219: Forums
220: Forums
221: Forums
222: Forums
223: Forums
224: Your Account
225: Forums
226: Forums
227: Forums
228: Forums
229: Home
230: Forums
231: Home
232: Forums
233: Forums
234: Forums
235: Forums
236: Forums
237: Forums
238: Forums
239: Home
240: Forums
241: Forums
242: Forums
243: Forums
244: Forums
245: Forums
246: Home
247: Home
248: Home
249: Home
250: Forums
251: Forums
  BOT:
01: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2455
  · Views: 824764
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 85
 

Resizing Die Question
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Are you using a Hornady case holder?

chambered, I hadn't considered that, but yes, I have the Hornady Case Holder because they were out of RCBS case holders.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
PaulS
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 4330
Location: South-Eastern Washington - the State

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Since the die is butting against the ram already, you might try backing it out 1/4 turn at a time with other fired brass and see if the problem disappears......
Also check the length you may have cases that are a few thousanths too long.
If you are not lubing the inside of the necks the sizer plug may pull the case forward from the shoulder area.

just a few things to try.......

Paul

_________________
Paul
__________________
Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon, Sierra, and Hornady = reliable loading data
So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 9266
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

I partial lenght resize as per the nosler manuals instructions( set up as per full lenght but then adjust to leave a 1/16"gap between die and shell holder) as I find this works best in MY .270.
If I remember rightly if you set the die up with a nice fitting case in place to "feel" where to get/set it it will get rid of your issues.
I did the works on about 200 mt cases 12 years ago and have only just used them all up. I got the dies where I wanted them (easy to chamber) and just kept going till I ran out of brass.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
Also check the length you may have cases that are a few thousanths too long.

PaulS, the cases grew as much as 0.010" during the resizing. I trimmed them all back to 0.007 below max case length, 2.533".

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Slim...... what press are you using ???

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Brand new Rock Crusher from RCBS. I'm going to borrow Redding Dies from a shooting buddy and do some comparisons this weekend.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Dawgdad
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Posts: 1065
Location: On the Prairie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Do you have access to a Hornady headspace gauge? You will be able to tell if you need to get thinner shell holder if you cannot get the shoulder set back .002-.003" with the dies as they are

_________________
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency...
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Ominivision1
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 20, 2010
Posts: 2984
Location: Iowa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Another thing you can do is shave off .001 at a time at the top of the shell holder and try resizing, I have a standard set of shell holders plus the ones I modified to get the shell to chamber correctly.

_________________
Regards

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 9266
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

ok I went back and reread the whole thread again to make sure I got the gist of the problem.
? what does a fired non resized case feel like??
you say a new case feels like its not there.
if I have the idea right now partial lenght resize should make it worse?not better?

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Ominivision1 wrote:
Another thing you can do is shave off .001 at a time at the top of the shell holder ...

Seems to me, a die should work without having to be modified. The resized case looks like the shoulder is too steep.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
what does a fired non resized case feel like?

a fired case that has not been resized feel likes is not there. Its not uncommon that I have to open the bolt to make sure a round chambered. I'm sensitive to pressure having to be applied to the bolt handle because, up until now, that was an indication that my case length was too long. It typically takes 10 to 20 firings/reloads before that happens when I neck-size only. This was my criteria for its time to throw the case away.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
if you got access to another case holder try a different one.
I've ran into holders that have different heights.

Just got done doing some measuring on the case holders I have !!!

The 1 Hornady holder I have sets the case about .010 higher than the RCBS holders I have.

This could explain why you ran out of adjustment !!!

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Dawgdad
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Posts: 1065
Location: On the Prairie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Ominivision1 wrote:
Another thing you can do is shave off .001 at a time at the top of the shell holder ...

Seems to me, a die should work without having to be modified. The resized case looks like the shoulder is too steep.

woulda coulda shoulda

Angle on shoulder says that the die has not been run down far enough to re set to spec after it was forced up by squeezing the lower part of the case.

_________________
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency...
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Dawgdad wrote:
Angle on shoulder says that the die has not been run down far enough to re set to spec after it was forced up by squeezing the lower part of the case.

I see a return and credit in my future.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
MacD
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Apr 08, 2011
Posts: 1052
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

The critical internal length dimension of the die is from its base to the datum of the shoulder. If the die touches the shell holder when the case is being sized one would assume that all of this dimension has been used. Slim has indicated this is the case (no pun intended). If we assume that the length dimension is correct then what would account for the elongation of the shell and increase in neck angle. I suspect the die is bored undersized near its head or perhaps lower in the bore. The sized case sticks in the die. This would draw the casing up as it is being withdrawn leading to the phenomena Slim is reporting. The shiny rim at the beginning of the shoulder on the case may be an indication of this problem. Now all this is just musing on my part. Slim's solution is the only sensible one. Get a new die. I would also let Hornady know. They may want to check the die themselves. My experience with them and other quality domestic manufacturers is they want to maintain their quality hence reputation as that is their niche in the marketplace. Helping them is this respect, in the long run, means we will have continuing access to quality reloading equipment in the future.

_________________
La a'Blair s'math n Cairdean
(Friends are good on the day of battle)
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 3
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by *Dizfunkshunal* :.