Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824077
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

chronographs
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: chronographs Reply with quote

i am looking at maybe picking one up, I know i would use it and i have a few other friends who would use it as well, who has one and tell me your likes and dislikes on the thing, i was looking at a "F1" and it went for like 100 bucks or so, but i dont wanna part with the cash for a piece of junk ya know...
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

I use a Pact Model 1 that I have been using for around 15 years without a problem. I don't even know if they still make the Model 1 or not, but I like it. They all have their individual problems. Mostly with the sun or no sun. As most work on the principal of seeing a shadow and not a shinny thing passing over the sensors as some believe...You will pay from $60 to what ever you are willing to spend. Be aware that some companies will sell you the chronograph and then you will have to either make your own bar or buy theirs to mount it on...Some don't even need the bar. But those usually have the electronics as part of the sensor bar and make a fine target. So far I haven't hit mine and if I do it will be only the sky screens or the sensors. I also have mine mounted on a camera tri-pod. That is something you may have to buy also, or make... Smile

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Morax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

hmmm see i didnt think of where are the sensors at... something to look for !
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

The "F-1" Chrony is a good one as I have been told. I believe that the monitor and the sensors are all down range. Pact Mod 1 has a remote monitor and the sensors and sky screens are down range (from 8 to 12 feet). You might look on e-bay, but the difference in cost of a used one and the cost of a new one with a warrenty probably isn't that much

1895ss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

I have a ChronoTech that works OK. The sun has to be right like Bushy said or they don't work as well as expected. It's not the cream of the crop but I have used mine lots over the years and I like it. I have shot a couple defuser rods but they are easy to replace, I replaced them with drinking straws.

Last edited by 1895ss on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

From your last cocktail no doubt...

Handloader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

The CED Millenium is sold through Dillons Precision, Scottsdale, Arizona. Retail is $179, another $25 if you want the optional carrying case. Depending on the information you want from a chronograph, this is the one I recommend and sell the most to our customers. I have a PACT Pro, an Oehler 35 and a Chrony Alpha as well. Here is why I like the CED.

It is very compact and easy to set up. It is the least sensitive to the sun's position (some chronographs work only when the sun is at least 30 degrees above the horizon) and the readouts are accurate. The most important data for me is the velocity average, SD and Extreme Spreads. The screen size is large and the quality of the sensors allow a larger window for readings. Downside? -- made in China, however, after two years of frequent useage, it is running flawlessly.

Oehler (the most respected name in chronographs) no longer sells to the public. They are bulky and massive, but, have a third proof screen that double checks each shot. Like most chronographs that have a port for downloading to a PC. PACT Pros have been a good choice over the years, too, however, I retired mine after three trips back to the factory for repairs only to have it fault again. The PACT Pro has built in ballistic programs that are very accurate when calculating external ballistics as they allow for elevation, temperature and offset.

Mainly, though, when developing loads, I grab the CED, a fresh 9V battery and head for the range. Two suggestions, regardless of brand choice: carry a spare battery and get a good tripod that allows attachment of weight for stablility in light to moderate wind.
Morax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

hmmm ok more food for thought.. yeah basically what i am looking for is someone to stand downrange with a radar gun Shocked seriously though, i am just looking for something to gimme the speed
jeh7mmmag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

a "F1" and it went for like 100 bucks or so, but i dont wanna part with the cash for a piece of junk ya know...

F1 with the romote screen has been a good one to me. Go to there site and you can pick up a refurb unit for $ 50.00
Replace the steel screen support rods with wood dowel rods. A sabot nailed mine first time out but it survived and lives til next time!! LOL
James

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

The Chrony's are inexpensive, and they work. Check their website- you can buy refurbed ones rather cheap.
kbis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

I have had good luck with my F1, a little light sensitive but I guess they all are. If/when you get one, take a 22 with you to set it up. It is a lot cheaper to pop 22's over it to make sure it is working than say 45-70's.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

Hummm. Why is it the good ideas are the simplest. You have a point there, kbis. And a good one...

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
I have a ChronoTech that works OK. The sun has to be right like Bushy said or they don't work as well as expected. It's not the cream of the crop but I have used mine lots over the years and I like it. I have shot a couple defuser rods but they are easy to replace, I replaced them with drinking straws.

I use wooden shish-ka-bob sticks in my Crony. I'm afraid if i nicked one it would shatter the plastic it sits into... but be aware of muzzle blast LOL... too much if it can break the sticks or send your skyscreens a flying... or so I hear Very Happy

-DallanC
1895ss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

You're right Dallan, the muzzle blast from my 45-70 rearranges my sun screens quit often and also blows away the drinking straws but hey it's better then a broken chronograph. Very Happy

Grant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: chronographs Reply with quote

I still haven't bought one yet, but I think I'm going to go with the Chrony F1 this spring. I wanna do a little testing before spring bear season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2