No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824075
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!!
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yooperchuck
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

OK...I just spent half my income tax check purchasing "shooting essentials." One of the last items I will be purchasing is a chronograph. I am researching them before I buy one. Any tips on which one to purchase will be appreciated. Now the big question. How do I prevent blasting the chrono off the tripod? I have heard and read of this happening with shooters. Will anyone give me some tips on how to not blast the chronograph into smitherines? I have never shot through or over a chronograph. Do you suggest purchasing extra screens with the original purchase of the chronograph? Thanks for any information.

popgun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

Blasted screens are usually the result of letting someone else shoot over your cronograph. Nothing invested nothing treasured. Only buy extras to make yourself feel better about having spares. You can usually get replacements in 3 or 4 days from any online source.

You place the cronograph 10 ft. in front of the muzzle and at that distance you can easily center the bore through the screens. That is the only secret about missing the screens.

I have a CED Cronograph that is under $200.00 from RSI Electronics or from Dillon Precision and James Phillips at the Reloaders Nest can probably save you more than the others. He is an honest and dependable dealer.
mysite.verizon.net/jsw...index.html

The CED has many nice features and you can download the shot strings to your computer using a standard serial cable and free software that you can download from the RSI website.
www.shootingsoftware.c...graphs.htm
www.steyrscout.org/ballisti.htm
www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29 <<good info links at bottom of page (pdf downloads)

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Flint54

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

Cool I am very pleased with my PACT Professional Chrono. I don't have much experience with many others that are now on the market. I had an older Ohler and it served me very well until the mice took a liking to it and the cables. I have heard a few of my shooting clan say that they like their CRONYS.

I like the PACT as it has so many other functions in it that I use it all the time, I can also update it from my computer with the included cable. Another nice thing is that the actual screens are at the very bottom of the housings and if one is hit the housings are only @ $6 each, the chances of killing one of the screens is very low. I even use it at 100 yards and have used it at 200 but that is only on very still days wtf .

My best advice is to not let anyone else shoot over your crono, if you do you can count on a shot housing and it will only be your fault! Cool
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

I place my rifle on sandbags, aimed at my target. I then remove the bolt from the rifle and begin to set up the cronograph. I usually have it 4 to 6 yards from the muzzle. I have it on a tripod so I can adjust height and angle. I look through the sunscreen poles back at the rifle to achieve proper postion and clearance. I then move back to the rifle, adjust the scope to the lowest power and make sure things look good from there too. You can shoot pretty high above a cronograph and still have it read so give yourself plenty of room.

-DallanC
roklok

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

I agree with the advice given on protecting your chronograph.I have shot many rounds from muzzleloader,pistol, rifle and bow through mine without any problems.Something I would add though is if shooting sabots out of shotguns or muzzleloaders or powerbelts with their separate bases protect the screen with a piece of plexiglass,they can crack a screen and dont always follow the path of the bullet.I just have an inexpensive shooting chrony F-1 and am very pleased.It doesnt have the fancy features of the higher priced models but suits my needs well.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

roklok wrote:
I agree with the advice given on protecting your chronograph.I have shot many rounds from muzzleloader,pistol, rifle and bow through mine without any problems.Something I would add though is if shooting sabots out of shotguns or muzzleloaders or powerbelts with their separate bases protect the screen with a piece of plexiglass,they can crack a screen and dont always follow the path of the bullet.I just have an inexpensive shooting chrony F-1 and am very pleased.It doesnt have the fancy features of the higher priced models but suits my needs well.

I bought a Delta crony and I paid extra to order the protective Lexan covers... more to protect it from the smoke / fouling black powder rifles spit out. But it works great for sabot protection as well.

-DallanC
Blaine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

I have a Chroney Master Gamma, (with printer and the works) I love it.

One tip that I use......I put black electrical tap 6" up on the screen support rods. That is the height recommended by the manufacturer. That way I can see at a glance with my scope on the lowest power if the horiz cross hair is at the right height. Of course I also make sure that the screen rods are equal distance from the vertical cross hair, too. But I pay more attention to the horizontal cross hair height. Better to blast a screen or screen rod that the chroney itself Embarassed Don't ask me how I know, please Embarassed Embarassed I also use a tripod so I can get all the adjustments I need to make easily. I set the tripod 4 paces in front of the muzzle (about 12 feet). And finally, as has been suggested NEVER let anyone else use it unless you are there to set it up and check it out first.

Blaine

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

I replaced my steel sunscreen rods with flimsy Shish-ki-bob skewers. I figured if I nicked a steel one it would break apart the plastic that holds'em in the base. If I nick a flimsy skewer it just breaks the skewer ... that was the theory anyway and it actually proved true once when I was a bit careless Sad

-DallanC
Blaine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

Good idea Dallan. Thanks for the tip. I just tried 1/8" dowels in mine and it fits perfectly. And it is easier to bend when installing the screens. I love this sight....learn something new every day. Laughing

Blaine

1895ss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

Wooden dowls is what I use as well. "Because someone shot a couple of the originals!!!!!!" Shocked

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

Don't worry about it...Set it up right and remember that a scoped rifle will shoot a bit low going over the chronograph...Be real careful about letting others shoot over your chronograph and get one that has the repeater (readout modual) back on the firing line and not part of the screens. I have been shooting over my Pact One for the better part of 20 years and have only nicked one of the sensors (Hence the warning about scoped rifles)... Very Happy (Hate that when it happens) Very Happy Very Happy

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
waumo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

If you happen to have a laser bore sighter you can use that to perfectly
position the chronograph in just a few seconds.

However for years I just just mine up by eyeball and never shot the chronograph or screens. It just is a lot quicker to setup with the laser.
buzzard49
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

Yep, I'm a rookie on here, but I have to start somewhere and this seems as good a place as any to start. I use a Pact, and really like it. However when I was checking some shotshell speeds, I added a piece of .180 steel 4" wide and about 30" long. The front 12" was angled up such that it protected the chronys eyes 3" above the eye. If the wad or I hit low, the angle just forced it downward and nothing was hurt. I did exchange the tighting bolt for one that was a little longer to allow for the steel.
Wanted to protect my investment and it was of little or no cost. Just my .02 worth. Have fun with yours. It is a must have item I think.
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

My chrono is a Shooting Chrony with the remote readout. THe readout costs $65 to replace, but it sits on the bench. The entire rest of the rig - folding sensor unit, rod and screens - costs $35 to replace.

Have had it 4-5 years now and haven't shot it yet. The only other person I let shoot over it is my hunting buddy.

yooperchuck
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me not muder my chronograph....!!!! Reply with quote

Wow !!!! Thanks for all the help guys. My summer "shootin stuff" is starting to trickle in that I recently ordered. Is is harder then chinese arithmatic waiting for spring to get here. But I will have time to get used to all the "shooting stuff"..........thanks again for all the wonderful advice and ideas !!!!! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2