Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Going to Start Coyote Hunting!
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Dawgdad wrote:
34 gr. of Varget is great for the 22-250 but you will have a hard time getting much more than 27 gr. in a 223... Very Happy

My Bad. You are absolutely right. Don't try 34.0 gn in a .223 that is my go to 22.250 load Embarassed

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

I got a kitchen pass to go hunting tomorrow and now they are forecasting cold rain with 20 mph winds. Rats!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

that is dog hunting weather up in western Canada. The worst the weather the better the dog hunting. my absolute favorite time to hunt is when it is -30 to -40 or colder, dead still wind, an open slightly hilly stubble field. Give a call is like ringing the dinner bell.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Go get some Ron. Laughing

My mate and I have a dog hunt planned for whenever he is able to get a couple of days off work. I might even be able to sneak down to the property a little earlier with my two grandsons depending on what SWMBO has in the works.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

inthedark wrote:
Dawgdad wrote:
34 gr. of Varget is great for the 22-250 but you will have a hard time getting much more than 27 gr. in a 223... Very Happy

My Bad. You are absolutely right. Don't try 34.0 gn in a .223 that is my go to 22.250 load Embarassed

DOH...that would be a massive overload in a .223...if you could get that much Varget into a .223 case.

My "got to" loads for the .223 are 25.5gr of ADI 8208 (I believe IMR 8208 is the same powder) for a 50gr bullet and 25gr of the same powder for a 55gr bullet. Both of these loads offer better than hunting accuracy (I'm not a good enough shot to shoot one hole groups) with Hornady bullets.

Aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

SJ, did I already give you a good tip this year? You can buy a cheap speaker that stays connected with blue tooth to your phone (when your phone is smart enough). And when you put some of Varmint Al's noices on your phone and put the speaker not too far from you...

somehow I think you don't need extra volume, but when you do, I'm sure you can find something to increase the noise and/or increase the distance between speaker and phone...

and when you're done varmint hunting, some country & western might attrack other game...
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Thanks, Aloys but I will have to keep this in the memory bank until I have a smart phone.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Usually need an amp on the remote blue tooth speaker to get volume high enough too.

Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
inthedark wrote:
Dawgdad wrote:

DOH...that would be a massive overload in a .223...if you could get that much Varget into a .223 case.

My "got to" loads for the .223 are 25.5gr of ADI 8208 (I believe IMR 8208 is the same powder) for a 50gr bullet and 25gr of the same powder for a 55gr bullet. Both of these loads offer better than hunting accuracy (I'm not a good enough shot to shoot one hole groups) with Hornady bullets.

I love that stuff! Just scored a big jug from Higginson's for my 20 cals and a 222 Rem. The only other powder that I found to work as good as this stuff in my rifles is Ram Shot X-Terminator (aka Accurate 2230). 20.6 grains of 8208 under a 55 grain Berger in my Remington 700 20 Extreme and I'm ringing the gong on my AR500 steel coyote at 400..... I tried to post a pic but can't seem to figure out how to shrink it to fit the parameters of this site
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Was out yesterday afternoon with my 6.8mm and 110gr Accubonds hoping to intercept some hogs. Could hear the hogs in the woods but they never came out. I did take along my new digital predator call to check it out. Tagged this male moving left to right at 265 yards - DRT. Exit wound was almost the size of a dollar coin.

Slim 1
Coyotes 0

More to come!!!

coyote 1 15 jan 2016 reduced.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.37 KB
 Viewed:  8928 Time(s)

coyote 1 15 jan 2016 reduced.jpg

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Grey Wolf wrote:
...I tried to post a pic but can't seem to figure out how to shrink it to fit the parameters of this site

There are a couple of different ways of resizing pics mate. Here are three options with links...

You can download a Windows PowerTool (it's free) to resize pics Microsoft Powertoys Image Resizer ,

...or you can download another free program called Prish Image Resizer, Prish Image Resizer

...or you can use the Paint program/function in Windows, Resize a picture using Paint

Dead Eye Slim wrote:
...Slim 1
Coyotes 0

More to come!!!

Well done Slim...ya nailed him real well mate.

chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

So you too adhere to the bigger is better theory !!! Laughing

Good job Slim

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Grey Wolf wrote:
...I tried to post a pic but can't seem to figure out how to shrink it to fit the parameters of this site

There are a couple of different ways of resizing pics mate. Here are three options with links...

You can download a Windows PowerTool (it's free) to resize pics Microsoft Powertoys Image Resizer ,

...or you can download another free program called Prish Image Resizer, Prish Image Resizer

...or you can use the Paint program/function in Windows, Resize a picture using Paint

Dead Eye Slim wrote:
...Slim 1
Coyotes 0

More to come!!!

Thanks. I'm using Linux. Will any of them work there?
Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Grey Wolf wrote:

Dead Eye Slim wrote:
...Slim 1
Coyotes 0

More to come!!!

Ok, I found out how to do it. This is my AR coyote. I have a couple other targets from the same fellow. That kill zone is on a hinge in the back so it flips up when hit. I was shooting my 20 Extreme with a 55 grain Berger and Junior was shooting his 30:06 with a 168 grain Berger. The first shot I hit it and the darned thing stayed flipped up. Junior laughs and told me I had to shoot it down now - shut him up when I knocked it back down on the next shot. lol There wasn't much to shoot for when it was flipped up. Oh yeah, we were shooting at 400 yards

coyote target.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  727.38 KB
 Viewed:  8902 Time(s)

coyote target.jpg

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Reply with quote

400 yards? Surprised Shocked That's some damn fine shooting there mate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 2 of 3