· Views: 824109
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Things you see at the range
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

Ooh...LEO (Law Enforcment Officer)...well I don't take too much stock in them either...(I hate acronims)... Evil or Very Mad

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
I hate acronims)... Evil or Very Mad

Bushmaster=OLD Razz ROFL hows that for one? Poke

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

Ya did it again...Dragged me right off the topic of this string. NoNo

If you have been a rangemaster you may not have seen it all, but there is little you haven't seen or want to see again...

Go away 10ring...You bother me. Shooting

ROFL

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
SakoL61R

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

I'm going to the public range close to Savannah tomorrow for a session with the 25-06, 35 Whelen and my new .308 :-D. Will hafta be there by 0730 to get a bench. Sundays sure can be interesting.......

Printing a few targets right now and getting my gear ready.
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

And i'm sorry about the OLD comment........So i'd like to retract that and re write as:

Bushmaster= Youthfully Challenged

Stick around Bushy, i'll learn ya things! Very Happy Sniper

longwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

Last friday the day before Easy River firearms Deer season opened we went to the range just to watch the action. I think one person was sighting in a "non Magnum" rifle. a 30-30. Every other "shooter" and some kind of short mag or long mag muzzel brake toteing blaster.

The part that drives me to go watch this is pure malicious humor. One poor guy with a brand new 300 Ultra Mag, had three boxes of shells. After one and a half he left, shoulder hurting and a pattern that would make a turkey hunter proud. "Good enough for white Tail. " I asked him where he hunts and was told. "Mostly tree lines, but you never know when that deer of a life time may show it's self at 350 yards". ( that deer is safe )

The next notable, a guy with his brand new knight muzzel loader. Setting it up for "long" range. He was loading so much powder that it would not all burn. The result were small fires being started in front of his bench. When asked about the load he was using he told the rangemaster it didn't matter because this was a Knight. He was asked to pack up and come back with load instructions.

The crowning event was then a .243 was loaded into a .270 and fired. The operator asked if anybody could help him get the shell out of the chamber. Thinking we had a hang fire we allowed the gun to sit for two minutes. Upon inspection we noticed the long standard length action and .243 ammunition. Oppps comes the response. We got the case out and asked him to come back with the right ammo. He informed us he had the right ammunition in the truck. We insisted.

All three contributors were non-members of the club. What causes people to act this way. Is it just being disorganized or is it something else?

longwalker
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

Wow thats pretty scary. What kind of insurance does the range itself carry to cover itself? I've thought about creating a range here as there are so few but dont know if the liability would make it worth it.

-DallanC
longwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

I don't know off hand the cost of insurance, but the range it's self was built with a considerable amount of NRA funding and federal grants. The land was purchased years ago and therefore was not an additional "cost". Insurance is one of the major operating expenses.

One of the handgun club I belong to has a policy that covers us from November through March. This cost us about $750.00.

In the case of the handgun club we have little or no environmental liability.

For an outside range the environment becomes an ever increasingly difficult problem. It allows the anti's to have a very big hammer to oppose such facilities.

longwalker
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

Ha cant help but laff at this stuff ..
Well being a Gunner in the Navy for 12 years , we were responsible for the Guard Force Training for the Ship's Onboard Security Force .. M14's ( three selective fires as well ) , 1911's , 870's , and M-60's , M79's..
Only happened once , but , it happened , were firing the 1911's , one kid had a misfire and dear little me was standing behind him , all had been told in case of misfire or hangfire to point the firearm up in a safe direction , and we would clear it .. Well he turns around and I have a 45 staring at my chest from about two inches .. I run him off , and then Bushy , you guessed it , they got po'ed at me for getting angry and running him off .. their solution , was for the Gunnery Officer , Naval Academy Idiot Ensign ( second looie to all you OTHERS ) , to give him "proper training" , yeah , right ..
Then there was the guy at the range a few years back , older fella , comes in with a mini 14 sets up a shoot n c at 50 yards , fires three rounds at the target "sighting in for my wife , I am a bowhunter" , walks off , looks back at target , "good enuff for a deer" he says ..

My good deeds nowadays ?? Taking kids hunting , and teaching them safety in the woods and with firearms .. looking at becoming a Hunter Safety Instructor .. Law here says anybody born after sometime in 1977 has to have it done .. I have to take it tho to hunt in a lot of other states .. and to be an instructor ..
Anyways , a good friend , who doesn't hunt asked me a few days ago over lunch if I'd take his 11 year old out with me .. I said sure I'd do it .. He says I don't want to trouble you with it now ..
And this is what I told him , it isn't profound , but you may well fit into this reply and if ya do , I'd ask that you do as it says :

Ya know my dad wasn't a hunter , and growing up in the middle of nowhere , well people hunted , now my best friend's dad hunted , and he had a house full of guns , every year , he saw to it , that if we needed a gun and shells to go hunting that we had them .. He taught us to hunt , fish , and camp on the river , he gave of himself , and a lot of his money , to see to it that us boys stayed outta trouble .. So I feel I owe him that in return , to show kids what he showed us some 35-40 years ago .. See I aint got no kids ( Thank God ) to show , so I'll show someone elses kids ..

Now Mr. Frank died December 31 , 1984 after a long bout with cancer .. He was a young man , only 55 .. But all us boys , well we all didnt turn out half bad .. None of us are in jail for anything , all are responsible citizens , etc etc ..
Only thing has bugged me is I was half way around the world , when he passed away , and ya know I never thanked him .. I think he'd appreciated it , but us doing what he ( and countless others ) did for us , would mean much more ..
Now I'll get off the soap box ..
Jack

moose2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Things you see at the range Reply with quote

Have different problems at our range. Last time three weeks ago when I went out to the range, I was walking with my lab out to the 200 yard mark to put up a target. The old lab but his nose to the wind and wound up putting up two different flocks of Huns and me without a shotgun. About as exciting as it get here.--tr

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 2