· Views: 824076
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New project
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fnuser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

O.k. now we're even again. I went back over my numbers on the estimated velocity, drop and energy and all those numbers were very conservative which is ok i guess because it's all theoretical till it's done. That probably why alot of us do it.

chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

Twist is a 9 or 10 not sure, never had the need for a positive identification. Do now!!!
For the money the V-max has my interest !!!
The SMK’s have been proven to hold their own against the so-called better more expensive customs !!!

Heard about Manners but never really checked them out.

Yes we do, theory that is !!!
Got a couple of hours or maybe afternoons ??? Never mind, I’m not too good at this typing thing!!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
fnuser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

O.k. Got a weatherby vanguard in .270 for the project mostly because of the magazine length but also still think their extractor beats all. the magazine will hold a c.o.a.l. of 3.5" easily.

fnuser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

it was n.i.b. for $390.

Arron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

I love the VMax bullets!!! My .25-06" has done fairly fairly well with them for the "yoddie dogs" we have here in SWI. But truthfully it has been a LONG time since I was last able to put my Ruger on paper. So I am not sure if it is still as good as once was. But I also load VMax fomr my .223 and my dad's AR. I have to use different bullets though mine is a 1-12 or 14 and dad has an AR with a 1-9. So he needs havy bullets and I use 50 to 55's. This is an interesting topic!!! If I were to build one I think I would go with whatever action I could get my hands on that was pretty strong and build either a .338-06' or a .338Fed and maybe play with it a little. just something about those cartridges trip something in me. I have no use for either other than maybe a steel challenge match and the .338Fed would be a blast(literally) in a CETME or FN platform.
But more than likely I would like to play with a 10mmAuto case necked down to maybe a .308 bullet? Or hey since I like quarter bores how about a .257 bullet. Doubt it will ever happen though, just not enough cash to do something like that. But it is fun to talk about!!!!!!

fnuser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

o.k. was out of town for a bit, but here's the progress, after scouring the internet for l.a. Vanguard stocks have figured out that there really are limited resources for the stocks, unless I missed something, and I'm going to have to do something about the barrel channel so I'm laying fiberglass cloth and epoxy to build up the barrel channel so I can put a #5 in there and have some sides on it. I'm not opposed to buying a Mcmillan but I'm kinda liking this experimental stuff.

wiersy111

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

I'm probably out of touch with this one but what kind of stock are you looking for? Have you looked at Richards Microfit. They have some very nice woods.

rifle-stocks.com

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
wiersy111

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

I have a Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag. I bought it for the sole purpose of stocking it but it shoots so nice that I haven't brought myself to do it. I will be putting a exhibition grade on it I don't know if it will be walnut or maple. I love the fancy maples but just don't know if I want to own a blond gun.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
fnuser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

No pictures yet, but I went with Bondo Gold and fiberglass cloth Then a couple coats of the Gel. It cured out , Just touched it again today after putting the last paint on Sunday sometime, tried twisting it and it feels rock solid. It's hard to tell what I'll end up with I stay real flexible when I'm doing a project for myself. They're about half design half opportunity. Next on the list is threading, chambering and crowning. If you ever look at Wenig's I go up there about once a month The quality of their blanks make everyone else's look like seconds. But I'm still trying to go functional, I currently don't own a synthetic and over a dozen walnut's I know what you mean about blonde guns To my eye they look best after they age to that amber color. till you scratch them and the scratch is real white. I've tried various water based stains, mostly on muzzleloaders but it seems that the easiest is the finishes that contain a hue like Pilkingtons.

fnuser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I just about forgot Wenig's have walnut blanks that are stripy like a coon tail. And my plans for the breech is recessed excessively so that I can surround the bolt face to the lugs on that bolt I'll have to have a section without threads that reaches through to the face and beyond.

fnuser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

O.k. Barrel looks like I'm going to end up with @ 27" even after a deep safety breech, After a Discussion w\ hart Barrels on their methods of fluting and stress induced during the process, I've decided to have 5 flutes put in by a local guy with some mad machinist skills. that way I can have one t.d.c. and have nice space between them even if they're "deep and wide" That's for PaulS. After a lengthy correspondence with Mr. Manners himself I've decided he'll probably get the stock job. Mine came out o.k. but It doesn't compare with his stuff and he's a local guy K.C.,MO.

fnuser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

Chickened out on the flutes at the last minute just couldn't bring myself to have any more cuts put in that nice hart barrel; breech to muzzle comes out at 29" after cutting 1" off the muzzle end to ensure straightness

fnuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

Was able to clock some rl25 loads last Sunday 2800 f.p.s. is where they are. Now my homemade stock is cracked and I called Manners this morning It looks like it'll be a MCST-1 probably be awhile bfore I'm shooting again but I'll keep ya posted.

stovepipe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

What?

I was looking fwd to some pics of this project.

Argh, sorry to hear this.
fnuser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New project Reply with quote

oh, what do you want a picture of and I'll try to stick it on here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 3 of 4