Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Deer hunting with different calibers
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrotherRockeye
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

In my youth I used a 30-06,then a 270 for deer.We grow em big here in Saskatchewan,but I haven't found one yet that my 250-3000 couldn't kill. Cool

lesterg3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

Maybe the deer here in South Carolina are real weak or something I've had six to date this season drop in their tracks ( not one went more than 20 feet ) with a measly .270 130 gr Remington Core-Lokt psp factory load. still not loading my own, building the bench. Of course I try desperately not to hit them just anyplace. The largest was a 185 pound doe followed by the others ranging in weight from 125 to 165.

Only recovered one bullet, and at that there was no lead left only the copper jacket. All others were through average distance was 150 yards.

Good hunting to all, and God Bless.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
tomlj75
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

I am planning on going hunting this fall for the first time with some friends, I am planning on taking my 480 ruger handgun here in iowa, overkill??
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

.480 will work, if you can shoot it! I noticed that there are age restrictions for hunting with handguns in Iowa, just in case you are under 21.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
wiersy111

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

Start practicing now you will have to have complete confidence to use a handgun for hunting. It will be a challenge and a hell of a lot of fun.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
tomlj75
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

I've been target shooting it for years and love it, I just never got the oppertunity to go hunting till now, I am plenty good with the age, Very Happy
thanks
Teknys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

I'm hoping to fill my doe tag with a new 44 Taurus this year. In years past, I've used....
22-250, 243, 260, 270, 270WSM, 30-06, 300 RUM, (35Rem - no kills yet) and I just purchased from gunbroker a Sako 85 LSS in a 338Federal. All loaded up and sighted in ready to go since last week end. It will be what I will carry 90% of the time for deer and elk this year. I can hardly sleep!! Laughing
Our early Elk starts in Aug here but WHEW it's still hot I'm busy chasing Steelhead.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

Tom, I understand! I shot for a long time before I started hunting. Now I kick myself for waiting so long to hunt.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Arizona Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

For years all I had was a 30.06 and even though I have other deer size calibers to choose from now, I always seem to grab the 30.06 when it comes to a big game animal. It feels good in my hands and I suppose I just trust it more than the others.

Now for coyotes and javelina I grab a 6.5 x 55 and have complete confidence it will do the job, and one of these days I'm gonna use it on deer...if that 30.06 doesn't jump out of the safe first! Laughing
WileyWapiti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

I am similar to Arizona Hunter - .30-06 is the trusty friend. First deer I ever shot was with my Uncle's 30-40 Krag open site- as dad did not have a rifle, the next year I borrowed a friend of the family's 7mm, after that we had finally gotten around to getting a rifle in the family and hunted antelope to elk with my .308 - it has the Manlicher stock on it and as a young man was okay to haul around - but it is heavy - so as I grew older I finally got a .30-06 featherlite and use the .308 as a back-up. Last year used my 6mm - user error hindered me on that one - but it is plenty of gun for the task.

Gremlin
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

Use enough gun......
Would you consider (77gr IMR4831 ) to be a hot load???
I checked my Nosler and Hornady manuals and:
Noslers top end for a 180 gr bullet is 73 gr for 3160ft/sec with their most accurate load being 69.6 gr and Hornady doesn't even list that powder for that caliber..
My personal thought would be to slow it down for close ranges inside of 100 yds for proper expansion.....I will be testing this theory Confused out over the next few weeks when I use my new 300WSM on Moose and Whitetail
Just curious...thoughts? reactions? Razz

moose2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

Gremlin wrote:
Use enough gun......
Would you consider (77gr IMR4831 ) to be a hot load???
I checked my Nosler and Hornady manuals and:
Noslers top end for a 180 gr bullet is 73 gr for 3160ft/sec with their most accurate load being 69.6 gr and Hornady doesn't even list that powder for that caliber..
My personal thought would be to slow it down for close ranges inside of 100 yds for proper expansion.....I will be testing this theory Confused out over the next few weeks when I use my new 300WSM on Moose and Whitetail
Just curious...thoughts? reactions? Razz
If the above mentioned load of 77 gr. is for a 300 WSM with a 180 gr. bullet, well yes, that is a very hot load, and I would not by any means start out shooting that load without working up to it. Be Carefull.

tcknight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

use enough gun wrote:
I shot 2 bucks and a doe today with the 300 WM using a Sierra 180 spbt gameking.

Uh....

Where do you hunt which allows three deer a day...and at last count six deer in four days

I would kind of like...to know. I'm thinking of relocating.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

Hey TC...I have a mate who has shot up to 20 in one outing.

Where I live, deer are considered feral and vermin and as such there is no season, tagging or bag limit.

Terrible, ain't it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
tcknight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer hunting with different calibers Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Hey TC...I have a mate who has shot up to 20 in one outing.

Shocked OH...how I hate you guys!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 4 of 5