Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824587
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

Seeing how i've not had too much luck hunting this year, i'm going up to Port Huron and try my luck at some Browns and Rainbows tonight till tomorrow morning, then again thursday. Cool

If ya see a guy in a pop up "outhouse" blind that's me Very Happy

Hey Dallan, how bout a throwin a "Fish Hunters" title in the 'ol forum index Howdy Wink

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

Lakes are just freezing over here too... I dug my snowmobiles out of storage and fired'em up Saturday and got them running (forgot how fast they are lol). What ice shack do you use? I have an Quikflip II and really love it, quality is outstanding on it.

-DallanC
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

Not ice fishing.....In Port Huron (St. Clair River), the current is way too fast for ice to start forming untill January, and even then it's unsafe to fish on anyway, because again, of the currents. Very Happy
I'm fishing right off the boardwalk they have there, and putting my Ameristep Outhouse blind up with a heater to shield me from the bone chilling wind and sub freezing wind chills they get.

But speaking of ice fishing, i am looking into getting a highly portable (because of limited space at home) shanty, how does that quick flip work and how big is it?

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

I looked over alot of portable ice shack's and Eskimo blows all the others away... its not even close. Here is the one I have:

www.fish307.com/fish/E...FlipII.htm

Its built for 2 people but you can easily fit 3 in it (I go with my wife and boy alot and we all fit in there just fine. Construction is 10x better than other units. This one is a "clam shell" type so it flips up and over to make a half circle... kindof hard to explain but it all folds up into the sled. Setup is a minute or so. The sled itself has a padded full length bench seat with foldup back... its REALLY nice to kick bacl against. Inside the unit there are velcro windows & covers, velcro vents incase it gets too hot (happens). The material is really heavy fabric that is wind proof. It has a heavy bottom flap edge that seals up keeping out wind.

Set-up Size: 60" x 84"
Height: 68"
Travel Size: 60"x32"x19"

I paid $249 for mine couple years ago when they were onsale.

-DallanC
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

That looks great!
The ones i was looking at were Frabill Ultralite, Hideout, and a Viking 300 and i think i would be much better off with an Eskimo. Cool

Thanks for the tip!!! Cheers

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

515034s10ring wrote:
That looks great!
The ones i was looking at were Frabill Ultralite, Hideout, and a Viking 300 and i think i would be much better off with an Eskimo. Cool

Thanks for the tip!!! Cheers

Go look at all of those you mention first... THEN go look at an eskimo. You wont hesitate buying one after seeing the others first. Most people think ice fishing is dumb but hey, what else you going to do during the boring winter months? Smile

-DallanC
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

Fishin' for trout in the cold? I might be talked into Steelheadin' a mountain stream, but on or near a lake? In winter? I don't think so!! fishin' is for summer and fall just before Deer season. Nananana Hiding

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

LOL... I think you need to hook a 20lb Lake Trout on one of those 14" long poles and try to get it up through an itty bitty hole :). And no, its not really cold in those ice shacks. I take along a coleman fuel stove and put it on low heat in a corner and it keeps the place TOASTY warm. Can also keep a kettle of water hot for coffee or hot chocolate.

But really I'd rather be out shooting but there are times it nice to kick back and just relax... plus those fresh fish are darn tasty!

-DallanC
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

3 steelies, and 2 browns all were an 8 pound average......i can't wait for Thrusday Very Happy

DallanC: I was able to stop and check out the Eskimo, and you are 100% correct! Quite frankly, i'd be a damn fool to pick one of the others over an Eskimo because the construction, material, and stitching is way better IMHO.

Bushmaster: What's wrong with fishing a fast current river when it's 0 degrees windchill????? Ya worried bout your skirt blowing up (j/k) Poke Fencing Howdy Nananana

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice catch there 10ring, also like some good eats Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

Thanks Joe Very Happy I'll tell ya though, i'm still getting used to fishing those currents with fish other than the 'ol marble eyes because it's way different catching a trout or salmon in slower waters than it is in that very fast river current.

To give you an idea, when i still fish for walleye there i usually use a saltwater rig (poles from the 60's and 70's though Cool ) and no lighter than 14# test (but usually like it in the 20's) and no less than 3oz of weight because you'll find your line along the seawall and usually get tangled up with everyone else.
The trickiest part is netting the fish because you are soo close to the seawall, they usually take off like a bat outta he11 as soon as the wall or net gets their attention and if ya don't have a 8'+ reaching net (10 to 12 foot ideal) and good netting skills, it's pretty much not worth the effort because you'll loose every fish......Like a good 40%+ of the people do there, even the veterens and locals to the area.

But i did have some steelies for dinner today, and good eats indeed Cheers

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

That's a kilt...Not a skirt. And yes. You don't wear anything under a kilt...Want me to draw you a picture???

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

Oh.....that kilt excuse may work in Ca (bay area particularly) but it don't work here Point

Hiding

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

I believe I may change my handle to "Sir Michael" Or "Your Lordship". "Sire" has a pleasent ring to it..."Lord of the Manor" would work too... Whip

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Trout...."Hunting" tonight Reply with quote

<----------- Sir Bushmaster

Or skirt......ahhhh "Kilt" wearing

<---------SanFran Bushmaster?

Nananana Hiding

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 3