Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

OSHA and our pastime!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WileyWapiti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

Not sure what to think or if this will push forward or not - I feel my throat tightening!

www.rugerforum.com/ubb...14535.html

www.nssf.org/news/PR_i...070207.cfm

tracker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

What can I say? Once again, too much government, not enough common sense. I would hope the first people to start protesting this are those whose jobs are threatened. There are a lot of very well stated opinions on the ruger forum that Wiley gave the link to, so there's no point in my repeating them. I'm on the wrong side of the magic 49th, my friends, so my barking will mean nothing, but I encourage protest!

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

Good post I Hope it doesn't pass. Thats a hole lotta :censored:.. I guess they figure if they can't get your gun they will make it so ya can't get bullets. If ya here anymore on it let us no.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
shooterjon
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

Some of you may have followed the recent threads here and here.These threads express concerns about proposed revisions to OSHA standards that according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation would effectively shut down the small arms ammunition industry.

I have spoken with both Browning and Hornady today concerning this issue AND IT IS VERY REAL. If this revision of standards is allowed to proceed, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY AMMO OR RELOADING COMPONANTS.

This is an e-mail I received just a few minutes ago from Kirk Jenson at Browning:

Hello John,

The VP of Research and Development along with one of our designers just returned from the semi-annual SAAMI meetings. Yes, it is true. I was going to send you a copy of the NSSF bulletin, but I see you have received it already. It is spelled out exactly like we were debriefed earlier. Hopefully the NRA will fight this with all of their strength. We have been urging everyone to call their congressmen to air their views. This revision would cripple if not completely destroy our industry. It is just the next way they are trying to put us out of business. I guess they figure if they can not get rid of the firearms, then get rid of the ammunition.

Best regards,

Kirk

If you follow the link above to the NSSF website, they have a boilerplate letter and/or the heading that has to be on any communication regarding the proposed revisions.

This link will let you find out who your representative in the House is. Click on their name and you should find contact information.

This link will take you to the Senate website where you can get the contact info for your senators.

This a copy of the e-mail I'm sending to my Reps and Senators. Feel free to copy and paste, modify whatever. If you want to copy and paste this post to put into any other forums you may visit, hit the "quote" button (so links will be copied) and copy and paste it.

Dear (Senator or Congressman) [fill in the blank],

I am very concerned about changes to standards concerning small arms ammunition proposed by OSHA (Docket No. OSHA20070032, Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on "Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866).

These changes will have the effect of crippling or killing the small arms ammunition industry and the consumer firearms industry soon afterward. As such this can only be viewed as a backdoor attempt to take away my Second Amendment rights.

I urge you to take whatever action is needed to ensure that these proposed revisions are not allowed to be enacted.

Time is of the essence, since the period of public comment expires on July 12.

Respectfully Yours,
[your name and contact info]
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

shooterjohn

It is regretable that such a proposal should even come to the table. More regretable, I believe, is the apathy among many shooters/reloaders that have yet to take action in contacting their congressional representatives.
One has to wonder how heavy the straw that breaks the camel's back needs to be!?

If nothing else is apprarent, it is a showcase example of how some in power will excercise that power with the intent of killing the 2nd Ammendment. One can be sure that much planning and foresight was excercised by a cabal in concocting this abominable and damnable OSHA proposal.

Please keep us informed of any further developments.
george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

Well, I wrote my congressman. I hope others will also.

Keep it coming...
pth1947

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

Just faxed all my congressmen and now I am calling them

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

For many years, I was the Safety Supervisor that had to deal directly with OSHA. These "people", are not the normal type of folks who think with reason.
They were born with minds like machines that only follow orders. Normal people don't get hired by OSHA.
This new regulation will be death to us people if it is passed.
It seems like the Bush Administration has it's head up it's rear end these days, so there is a chance that they might let it go through.
I sure hope not.
Good post Wiley. Thanks.

Eric Mad

NRA Life Member
tracker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

I get to quote one of my favorite authors again, seems relevant to this thread

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets.
Edward Abbey " and..."Grown men do not need leaders"

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

OSHA has extended the comment period for an additional 60 days. Seems that emails, phone calls and letters have had an effect. Don't stop now. Keep it coming. All the best...
Gil

P.S. Lay in you allowed stash of 50 lbs. of powder just in case.

WileyWapiti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

Yes, this was the rallying cry I was hoping for...even the thought of this ruling gives me shivers and conjurs images of men in jack boots rounding up and piling books for the burning, a little man with a very small mustache. What is next, will they try and have us all sew little hazardous placards on our shirts and load us onto trains? Yeah, this really pisses in my Wheaties! Fight the good fight friends, I am by your side. WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMEN/WOMEN, call them, get your friends and family on board as well. My dad said it best when he said it looks like the (slang for North Vietnamese) are in the wire again, time to fight!

tracker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

there's a few thousand people that log in and out of here that I'd sure be happy to hear that they too responded and contacted their elected representatives, which is kind of funny for an anarchist like me, but what the hey....it's what they can do.

wncchester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

www.nraila.org/Legisla...162&issue=
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following note was posted today, seems our outcry - and congress' threats to cut OSHA FUNDING - caused the bureorats to back off.

Labor Department Announces It Will Revise Overreaching OSHA Explosives Rule - Monday, July 16, 2007

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) announced it will significantly revise a recent proposal for new “explosives safety” regulations that caused serious concern among gun owners. OSHA had originally set out to update workplace safety regulations, but the proposed rules included restrictions that very few gun shops, sporting goods stores, shippers, or ammunition dealers could comply with.

(More follows, click on the link above)
moose2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

I took the time to reply to OSHA's proposed regulations on explosives. They have extended their comment peroid to, I believe September 10th. Even though they may have backed down alittle, I still think its a good idea to feed them your comments. I also fed my comments to our states senators and congressman. I think eveyone that cares should do the same. This isn't the time to be passive.--TR

Old Navy Chief
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: OSHA and our pastime! Reply with quote

I hate to say this, but I have a feeling we could protest and comment till the cows come home, and it would not have made a difference to OSHA. They could have cared less If we could obtain reloading components.

What I do think happened is the major ammo and powder suppliers told the Government if it happened, they would just close up shop, and move out of country.

Hard to supply a military during a war, with ammo, when you drive the ammo and powder companies out of business. It would not have been smart to have our Military rely on foreign sources. Talk about a real nightmare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 3