· Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

I think that the person who wrote that is not thinking too clearly.

The 30 RSAUM was designed to work in a AR-10 body to allow people to get a round in a relatively small action and still go further without resorting to long action guns, which then defeats the purpose of a short magnum.

It is more comparable to the WSM then the WSSM, the 300WSM will do the same 2950-3000fps range with a 168gr SMK, as a 300RSAUM, but the 300WSSM simply doesn't exist.

The 300WSM will fit in a action designed for up to a 30-06 (mid-length actions), but most definitely not work in a 308Win platform such as the AR-10. Which the 300RSAUM was clearly designed to do.

Its comparing apples to oranges. By mixing the faith of the WSSM and the RSAUM. As clearly even the 300WSM seems to have a rather big following especially up here, which is the same competition for the 300RSAUM.

Dimitri

chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

The fact of the matter is......the shooting sports are full of people that just are not willing to accept change unless they are absolutely forced to !!!

Strike up a conversation at a gun club about anything new dealing with guns and ammo and the first thing you'll hear is some old fart telling you there's nothing wrong with what and how he's been doing it for the last 100 years.

As the younger begin to join in they are ridiculed for even thinking about getting that new thing instead of something tried and trued. "There doing nothing more than reinventing the wheel to sell you something you don't need".

I know skeet shooters that still complain about Red Dot being changed years ago.
I know rifle shooters that can't understand why we have so many powders available, all you need is IMR 4831 or 4350, if you got a little gun some BL-C.
I know pistol shooters that don't realize they have other options besides Bullseye.
God forbid you ever bring up short mags.
Start talking premium bullets and your wasting your money.

These same people usually have no understanding of the mechanics, what the product represents or what it was designed to do. Yet they spout off with their ignorance muddying the waters for potential buyers.
Those that don't know any better will usually side with the old fart and his so called knowledge and experience.

And the industry wonders why the new stuff isn't so popular !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

I have noticed that a lot of the used rifles on the consignment rack are WSM. Maybe folks don't like getting kicked around so much. I did analyzed the .270 WSM vs the .270 Win a couple of years ago and found it came up "short" and bought a .270 Win. I would have had to go to the heaviest bullets to gain any significant advantage. I thnk the 300 WSM is a better performer.

BTW, the 300 WSSM does exist. Olympus sells the rifle and ammo. Equivalent to a .30-06 with the lighter bullets.

The .17 has done well and I’m beginning to consider one because of their accuracy. .17 ammo costs have held me back.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

go into a out of the way general store and you will find ammo for the 06, .270 and .308 not to forget the good ol 30/30. try to find some wsm etc etc ammo cause someone forgot to pack it and you will appreciate your standard ammo alot more.

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

I have a 300wsm and I love it! But no more or less than my .308, or 30-30. I didn't get it to replace them, it's just another gun! If you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else! There's no right or wrong choice.

tcknight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Dead, dead, dead.
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

tc, you are saying the .17 rimfires are "dead"?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
tikkat3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

The 17mach2 is just about dead here.
The 204's are going strong
The WSSM's appear popular to wildcatters for 44 and 45cals
And my 300WSM is one of the easiest to find a load with and accurate

One of the things certain in life is change, embrace it.
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

tikkat3 wrote:

Where is here?

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
tikkat3 wrote:

Where is here?

New South Wales, Australia Slim.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
tcknight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Very Happy
slimjim wrote:
tc, you are saying the .17 rimfires are "dead"?

No. I'm a .17 fan (although in center fire) but center fire ammo (and guns to shoot it) have never been plentiful and looks like they never will be. I'm saying the short magnums are going, going, gone.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

You shoot the 17 Remington?

Dimitri

tcknight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
You shoot the 17 Remington?

Dimitri

No. I shoot the .17 Fireball and after three years continue to be excited about it. Smile Loaded with 25 gr Berger target bullets, I have great success ridding the world of coyotes and the rare bobcat or two. Also, I no longer have to belly crawl the 100 yards to my fishing lake to shoot the occasional beaver at the required 50 yards or less of my .22, but can do it from my back porch at 150 yards and never leave my cup of coffee. Cool
chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Slim, In comparing data with Barnes (monolithic) bullets I can see why you would see it that way.......as a comparison with Nosler and Hodgdon data using lead core bullets I disagree ......there's a good 200-250 fps gain to be had with the WSM.

Elvis, I know this is an important issue to some but I and those that I hunt with have never needed to resort to such tacticis.
It's all about proper planning. I carry at least 2 boxes of my hunting ammo and a 50 round box of range ammo should I need it for whatever reason. I also carry a backup rifle just in case.......it too has hunting and range ammo along for the ride. The fact that the backup gun is a 30-06 is part of the planning though !!! Shocked

.17 FireBaaaaaaaallllll Very Happy

wtf Were in the world did you come up with that idea ??? ROFL

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
tcknight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:

.17 FireBaaaaaaaallllll Very Happy

wtf Were in the world did you come up with that idea ??? ROFL

Read about it on some website. Can't remember where. Poke
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 5 of 8