Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

change rifles...
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: change rifles... Reply with quote

so due to having changed rifles,I have pulled all my old loads.now to reload them WITHOUT fireing off primer and FL resizing is the question....
Im thinking I can either completely remove decapping stem or back it out so it doesnt enguage primer but still uses sizing button on way back out....
been trying to get my head around this one for a week now.
cant see why it will be an issue. some of the old pulled cases chamber fine...others too tight. so Im guessing the body needs a wee squeaze or the shoulder needs a wee bump back. good news is the new rifle seems to accept the same overall length and cases resized in die set the same way it always has been fit perfectly...guess the ones that dont fit ,my die must have been set slightly longer again..... Ive always partial length resized.....
Im thinking will run all my cases through rifle and rework the ones that wont fit/chamber.... to be completely honest guys Im still shell shocked and a bit gun shy after my recent cockup...actually had to give myself good stern talking too before sitting back at reloading bench...needless to say new loads are back at lower end of scale and manuals read 3 times to confirm I had it right.
thoughts?????

pete4d

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

My method of pulling and reloading is , back the decapping stem up and do just a neck resizing .

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other. up-date

The secret to enjoying life is to never take it too seriously, as you will never make it out alive!

I'm on the watch list are you ?
Aloysius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

pete4d wrote:
My method of pulling and reloading is , back the decapping stem up and do just a neck resizing .

in my opinion you better full length size with de decapping stem up (or the decapping pin removed with non-Lee dies). I prefer necksizing when the round was shot in the same barrel (chamber) as the reload is meant for. Necksizing alone doesn't bring the shoulder back and it's not always the neck that makes closing the bolt difficult...
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

Since it's a different rifle, I'd full length resize all of them to get back to a common starting point.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

My 2 bob’s worth mate...start from scratch. Forget your old rifle and it’s idiosyncrasies. It’s time to learn the likes and dislikes of your new rifle.

Pull all your old ammo, put the components aside for later use (I’m assuming you know exactly what powder you used, and hopefully only one type, otherwise you have more lawn fertiliser), then start from scratch with your cases.

Full Length Size each case, check for stretching on the inside, measure the length and trim ALL cases to trim length (2.530” if I remember correctly) then anneal if you can (I started off annealing by dipping the case mouth into molten lead for as long as it took me to feel heat near the bottom of the case. Not the best way to anneal, but it works.) now you can start the load development to suit your new rifle. You are lucky in that you already know much of the data for the caliber, but start low as per normal and work up your loads as your new rifle will have similar, but not the same, likes and dislikes to your old rifle ie, sweet spots for the loads etc.

Enjoy the new journey mate.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

yes all old loads were pulled and only small quantity of powder ended up on lawn.... thankfully Ive used same hodgdon powder for years H4895 think it is...same as AR 2213sc Ive got 4lb of it so will be set for long long time to come.
I dont want to completely FLR if possible as cant see point in shrinking it back the extra mm only for it to regrow again.......the cases fired in rifle I partial length resized with dies set as they were...the shell holder comes up to about a mm from base of the die....they chamber and cycle perfectly,barely a smidge of pressure to close bolt...must be just about perfect size length....fluke,but I want to run with it... the winchester factory 150grn happens to be same length as all my old loads...and the 140grn hornady interlocts chamber nicely at that length....all good so far.
definately have backed off loads...funny when looking multiple times at data...my load I used for years was 2 grns BELOW start load..I REALLY was recoil shy before suppressor fitted. decided 55grns with 140grn looks OK to start at.... and cause I had 4 odd ball cases poked 57grns in behind some 110grn barnes that were on bench.... thats a mild mild load for them too.
funny the 140grn data for both IMR 4895 and H4895 is almost identical in my Nick Harvey manual...it isnt for other grain weights,just the 140s.

will try a couple of the tight fitting cases with expander ball lifted and see if will chamber properly afterwards...all the 100 odd cases sitting there primed have had the feeler guage put over them,been deburred etc.... might even get all flash and do them again,with neck turn just for shits n giggles while they in cordless drill shell holder.

from the little Ive seen this green machine is going to be as non fussy as the old girl was....1 1/2" group with 3 different types of ammunition really made me smile....

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

Good luck mate, although it seems that is already happening. I’ll be looking forward to future updates in your new rifle’s performance.

PaulS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

Can you measure the distance from the base to the shoulder? If you find that to be different between the cases that fit and don't fit then you can adjust the die to push the shoulder back just enough to fit. If that dimension is the same then measure the body in a few places to see where the difference is.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

Elvis
Pull em save the powder if you know what it is, full length resize without the deprime pin and start working up a load that suits that rifle. You already know all this and all too aware of what goes wrong.
Neck size after the first shot if thats what you normally do.
Well its a hobby that keeps you thinking eh
Or is that worrying?

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
PaulS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

No worry mate, what could go wrong? Wink

Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

always been a partial length resize guy....my old rifle hated neck sized rounds...they were always tight to chamber...so learnt to partial length resize as per the Nosler #2 manual...and have just kept doing it.
Ive got 11 rounds loaded up......when get some time will go and try them.
the worry is just me being gun shy........been a real head game.... getting back on horse so to speak,gave me a heck of a fright.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
... the worry is just me being gun shy........been a real head game.... getting back on horse so to speak,gave me a heck of a fright.

I can understand you being wary mate, but you have been reloading for many years now. The mistake that trashed your old gun was not your mistake...it was an error by someone who, due to age and illness, probably should not have been reloading anymore.

You have loaded plenty 270’s before without problem, so, so long as you loaded as per normal, your loads will be good mate. Go test them with confidence.

PaulS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

Or put the rifle in a lead sled and a string on the trigger... Wink

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

well folks,as sir Ed one said "that knocked the bugger off"
went and fired 5 rounds tonight..some fresh reloads,and as we all knew ,there was no issues,never was going to be,it just took a bit for my head to get in the game and believe it.
have beatin the dreaded "rhymes with grinch" before and could feel it starting to raise its ugly head again......gave myself stern talking to and go on with job.
now to go and resize all them cases and fill em back up with something useful...yacht fuel will be tipped out and some of Hodgdons finest placed under some of Hornadies or Speers finest....fun times ahead making them cases empty again.

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: change rifles... Reply with quote

so I was lazy,tried half dozen cases ,they fitted fine so simply redid all the loads with cases as they were,and it came and bit me in bum....not all my old cases were resized the same ,and some of the new loads WOULDNT chamber....so sat and tried them all through rifle and resized the tight ones.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2