· Comments: 86

Weaponry for CCW
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fb41
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Regarding wheelguns for CCW, I have a 3" Charter Bulldog I carry every now and then just to have a change of pace.
For those that think a wheelgun can't be reloaded quick have never seen Jerry Miculek fire 12 rounds from a 686 in 2 seconds! Shocked

The bottom line to CCW is to practice with what you carry and practice often. Ideally, getting training at someplace like Thunder Ranch, LFI or Gunsite is what you'd want, but going to the range and just practicing the basics is important too.

Remember that the idea of CCW is to provide you with a means to ESCAPE from harm and not participate in a protracted firefight. An instructor I once had told me if I had to reload my gun and shoot again, I wasn't in a fight, I was in a WAR!

Personally, I practice with each gun I carry for CCW at least twice a month, using ammo that is factory-equivalent in terms of velocity and power and make note of it in a journal, using one of my targets as proof.
Shipster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

When it comes to ease of use the revo has it hands down. When I was working sporting goods one of the first questions I would ask somebody who was shopping for a CCW weapon was how much shooting they have done. if not much I always talked revo's. My wife loves her revo's and doesn't want any thing to do with pistols. Her thought is they alway fire and they never jam, no safeties to play with no slides to rack nothing, the true point and shoot device. I on the other hand carry pistols, but I will run 15,000 to 20,000 rounds a year through my pistols. Being a competitive shooter gives you lots of trigger time.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Shipster...My wife has the same view. I bought her a S&W mod 10 with 2" barrel years ago and I wouldn't want to be the one to try and take it from her in trade for an auto loader...Or for any reason. Set of rubber (can't spell it) grips on it and she couldn't be happier.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Pachmayr or Hogue? I'm just showing off. Bushy
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

That's the one...Pakmyer...er...Pachmayr...Yes that's the one. I can spell hoge...uh...Hogue

glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

I had a set of Hogue on my 44 mag Redhawk, loved um. Too bad they didn't make some for my Glock.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

I have a set of Hogue wood stocks on my .38 Special. Sure makes a difference when you load a bit hot. And a set Pachmayr on my Mod 19 round butt. Sure beats the stock grips of that day...

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
And a set Pachmayr on my Mod 19 round butt. Sure beats the stock grips of that day...

Speaking of round butts, mines a model 1950 and I wear jeans on mine. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My question Bushy is how can the wood stock make a diff on your 38. It may be a dumb question to some but we don't get to use handguns much up here.

Shipster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Bushmaster my wife is in love with her Colt King Cobra .357 I don't think she would trade that for any other handgun, period! She shoots it like she means it and hits what she's shooting at. It came with a set of rubber grips and somebody talked her into buying a set of Hogues, and that lasted about 2 trips to the range and she made me put the originals back on. Oh well

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Because the Mod 10 .38 Special will handle +P's all day long it pays to have a LARGER grips on them. They help to cut down on recoil (felt) and they look nicer then the stock grips. The Hogues that I have on mine are just that. And the last thing I want to see is your mod 1950 round butt... Mad (Probably droops by now)

The King Cobra, set up right is a formidable weapon.

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Because the Mod 10 .38 Special will handle +P's all day long it pays to have a LARGER grips on them. They help to cut down on recoil (felt) and they look nicer then the stock grips. The Hogues that I have on mine are just that. And the last thing I want to see is your mod 1950 round butt... Mad (Probably droops by now)

The King Cobra, set up right is a formidable weapon.

Oh so the grips are bigger....... that makes sense.
By the way, just so you know, nope no droops yet.......... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

george20042007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

All of a sudden, I see a shift to revolver discussions. So, how many of these are being recommended for concealed carry? And in what calibers?
Keep it coming...
glockman55

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Oh so the grips are bigger....... that makes sense.
By the way, just so you know, nope no droops yet.......... Very Happy Very Happy :-D[/quote]

TMI, Thanks for leaving that image in my head...LOL Sad

and I carry a G23...40 cal.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Glockman55...I have no idea how that got into this subject. But maybe if we understand 1895ss we might have a better idea....No...That won't work either. I guess it's just 1895ss' way.... wtf

george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

There are 35 states that have "shall Issue" status as of this date.
Keep it coming...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 8 of 11