Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Gidday 'Mitri.

Not a bad choice on your pack mate. I have one and its pretty good. I only have 2 complaints about the pack...apart from the fact that it is a BIG pack and its easy to put too much crap and corruption into it (remember ... you have to carry it).

#1...it is not waterproof. Doesn't matter if you spray it with a waterproofing agent, with the constant movement of the fabric and brushing up against things it WILL let water through the fabric. Only way to combat this is to purchase the purpose designed bag that goes with the pack. It IS waterproof.

Waterproof Inner Bag

#2...if you want something that is at the bottom of the pack then you have to pull everything out to get at it. Now the logical thing to have in the bottom of your pack is your sleeping bag...its a pain in the "lower rear portion of your anatomy" to have to empty your pack to get at it...then do the same to put it away (you DO keep your pack all packed up don't you?).

Be a little careful with the frame mate. I don't expect you to take it parachuting, but we found (in the aussie Army) that the frame would only survive one hard landing then it would loosen up and gradually fail. Don't throw your pack to the ground...put it down, don't sit on the frame, even if its under the pack...blah blah etc etc etc. Laughing Laughing

The pouches on the outside are not designed for carrying ammo magazines...Playboy or Hustler maybe...but not ammo mags. Put items that you need quickly and regularly in these pouches...nibbles, 1 or 2 light meals, "date roll", raincoat etc...don't forget that they WILL leak. Ammo goes in your belt pouches (basic pouches).

You will find that you will be constantly altering the straps and mounts for a little while until you find the "sweet spot" to carry it. I don't think that you will be disappointed with the Alice...its a good pack. I have carried one for many MANY miles and weeks on end...fully loaded.

Have a look at this link for moe "Mini Reviews".

Alice Pack

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Vince,

Just saying the 3 pouches that are partly hidden from the big flap seem big enough to hold M1A magazines so I can carry a spare or something in addition to the one thats going to be in the pouch I'm attaching to my LBE set up. The 3 bigger pockets near the bottom of the pack are for supplies. Smile

There are attachment points at the bottom of the pack I'm thinking of strapping the sleeping bag to so I wont have to put it at the bottom of the pack. Smile

Dimitri

FALPhil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Man, when I turned in of my LC-1 LBE, I didn't look back. For all the reasons Vince mentions and more.

TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Very Happy Dimitri-congratulations on your alice pack purchase.I never knew what an alice pack was,when I was in the service all we had was "782 gear",all webbing and straps,and clip on crap.When I found an alice pack at a surplus store I was totally impressed.Now I have'nt humped one for weeks on end like others here have.But for one,and two day outings they seem to work just fine after you get them to fit right.I now own three of them,one in each vehicle,and one in the house-all set up as 72 hour packs and ready to throw on my back.Outfitted with minimal survival items to take any kind of weather that this area of the country can dish out,except sub zero temps.I don't climb mountain tops anyway.Btw they also make camo cover to go over the outside of the pack.I heard that when the marines went into afghanistan that they found out that their molle gear could'nt stand up to the conditions,and have seen a photo on the internet of them stacking and burning them,and requesting/demanding their old alice packs-because they would stand up to the abuse better.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Yup, the new MOLLE packs were too big, uncomfortable and didn't hold up in Afghanistan from what I've heard as well. The ALICE pack for all its faults seems like a good compromise to me, thats why I decided to get it in the end.

The newer ILBE pack thats a modified Arc'teryx Bora 95 pack is replacing the MOLLE packs, at a cost of 600$ each, they are pricey. It has a internal Frame, and just from loading up my ALICE with some random items to feel how it feels loaded, I got to say I never wore a Internal Frame pack that was this comfrotable. Very Happy

Most I'll be humping the pack for is a week or so at a time backcountry camping or going to start hunting deeper into the bush away from everyone. Smile

The frame I got (and I stress the one I got) seems pretty solid, the riveting looks like it can hold up to some stress, the newer frames may have been redesigned I don't know but I don't see me breaking that frame any time soon. Mind you looks can be diseving, and at worst I can bring the frame into work and ask one of the welders to spot weld it all together so it wont go lose at the rivets. Laughing

Dimitri

FALPhil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

The good thing about the LC-1 is that when you go prone, it doesn't force your face in the dirt, like the first gen MOLLE. The new tear drop MOLLEs don't either.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Phil,

Yup I like that about the LC-1 LBE equipment with the pistol belt and suspenders, and you know what I like more about it compared to the MOLLE and other tactical vests ??

I get hot fast, and the LBE lets me breath, with any type of vest on I sweat like a water fountain in the summer. Shocked

Dimitri

FALPhil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Move down South. Your blood will thin out, and you will get rid of that problem! Very Happy

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Phil,

I've considered it, but to do that I'd need to get a Green Card wouldn't I ?? Confused

Dimitri

Weinbender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Good Buy Big-D!
i ve been saving up money to buy surplus military equipment like the ALICE pack but i would also like to find a good quality, light, sturdy, 2 man military tent that wont cost me too much. anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Weinbender on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
FALPhil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Phil,

I've considered it, but to do that I'd need to get a Green Card wouldn't I ?? Confused

Dimitri

Unless you have a degree and you can get someone to sponsor you on a TN visa.

But think about it: if you moved down here, you would only be one of 22 million illegal aliens. It could take a lifetime for them to find you! Laughing
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Dan,

Why buy overly priced surplus (and generally used) military equipment from a surplus store when you can buy the same thing from the likes of Brigade Quartermasters or US Calvary who sell the same thing the military issues NEW from the same manufactures the military buys them from. And most likly cheaper, sure US stores wont ship bayonets but take a look at the fact the local surplus store sells the bayonet for the Swiss SIG 510 battle rifle for 170$ in the same condition you can buy it in the US for 30$ ... plus their equipment I find are at about the same price as the American stuff you can order new when they sell it used. Surplus stores here are a rip off. Mad

I ordered my stuff from Brigade Quartermasters, and they forgot to include a canteen cover I emailed them saying they forgot it in a nice mannor (not argueing or complaining cause EVERYTHING else was top notch about the order) and they are shipping me one in the mail. Plus they included free support the troop yellow magnetic ribbons too! Smile

Phil,

If I moved to the US that way I would be just as bad as the rest of the illegals, and I got to admit I am against illegal immigration.

If history taught me anything I can get residency (and citizenship) quite fast right now in a "unorthodox" method. Wouldn't be the first time the US military accepted a Canadian when they were not supposed to. Laughing

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Weinbender wrote:
Good Buy Big-D!
i ve been saving up money to buy surplus military equipment like the ALICE pack but i would also like to find a good quality, light, sturdy, 2 man military tent that wont cost me too much. anyone have any suggestions?

Gidday Daniel, how are you mate? Still blasting them gooses?

Mate, a surplus military tent is not really worth what you would pay for it. If you were nearby I would give you a surplus military "tent" like the one below. They're not bad and do the job ok, except in really bad rain with strong wind.
Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Best option is to go out and buy a decent dome tent...selecting the colour that suits your needs. In fact, there is a thread in HuntingNut on that very subject.

Cheers, Vince

hootchie.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.09 KB
 Viewed:  15133 Time(s)

hootchie.jpg

Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Vince,

I think he means like a 2 man pup tent they are tents missing the bottom. Smile

Thing I'd be worried about is total weight, at 10-11 pounds its quite heavy. Shocked

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Review of Large Alice Pack Reply with quote

Yeah, I know...just thought I'd offer a lightweight suggestion. In fact, you can clip two hootchies together...they come fitted with press studs down each side...and put up something similar to the pup tent...just wouldn't have the closed ends. I've put 3 together in the past and made a monster hootchie. Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2