Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

HORNADY New Dimension Dies
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roklok

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

I recently ordered a set of Hornady dies for the .375 H&H, as RCBS were backordered. I have no previous experience with Hornady dies. I have found that it takes an inordinate amount of force to resize cases with these dies. I just dont get it, I have formed .358 Win cases from cut down 30-06 casings with less effort. It seems like my press is close to being ripped out of the bench with the force required to resize brass. Anybody else have similar experience with Hornady dies? The sizing die is adjusted per instructions and cases are well lubed. I may have to switch to RCBS dies once available, definitely would if I shot the 375 in high volume.
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

It shouldn't be that hard. I size 458 Lott cases with them easily with just a little Imperial Sizing Wax on them. I would call Hornady regarding your dies for advice or replacement or return them them to whoever you bought them from.

If RCBS dies aren't available, you might consider Redding dies if you can find them. I actually prefer Redding dies over both RCBS and Hornady.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

Hmmm...something definitely isn't right. I use mostly Hornady dies and have never had that particular problem. About the closest was when using a set of small-base dies for a .280 auto for a friend, but it wasn't any more than just noticeable. That amount of force just doesn't make sense. Is the extra effort all the way through the process or is it only as the ram approaches full extension? I did run across a set of RCBS dies that were cut a bit short and adjusting them to factory instructions resulted in moving the shoulder way back. Not a big deal once I figured it out since I adjust my dies to just lightly "bump" the shoulder on once-fired brass anyway, but it was unusual to say the least.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

I can't imagine that the dies would be "out of dimension"...but stranger things have happened.

Something I would consider looking at is the chamber of the rifle. If it is over size them maybe it is stretching the base of the case a fair bit. Even with plenty of lube, it will still need a bit of effort to resize it back to factory specs.

Cheers, Vince

Edit:

Something I forgot about (CRAFT - I'll let you work that one out) is the different composition of various makes of brass and the different wall thickness. Would have a bearing on the amount of effort required to resize.

Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)

Last edited by Vince on Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
chambered221

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

I ran into a batch of Winchester 30-06 brass one time that required more effort than I was use to !!!
I don't think it was as bad as your describing though.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

I had switched from RCBS to Hornady some time back, not that I had any major problems with RCBS. Have you measured the cases before and after sizing? What lube are you using? Do you see any scratches or galling on the resized cases?

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
wncchester

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

If your .375 has a max size chamber and the dies are cut to minimum size it can easily account for your "problem". Both the rifle and dies can easily be within normal SAAMI tolerances and still make it more difficult than normal to size cases.
fnuser

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

I had that prob w a set of hornady 6.5x55's. I only load about 20 for a friend every September. I put some simichrome on a 28 guage mop and shined up the inside real good and that helped some, but yeah I've had similar experience w hornady dies I own over 20 sets of dies but only 2 of them are horns so my exposure is limited

gelandangan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

Mass produced factory made stuff are made to a "tolerance" that fit the "curve" yours may be at the end of the curve.

Whenever I get a new die set, I lap them to ensure that the insides are smooth.
Lapping the die (cleaning jag with flannel and some polishing compound) with a cordless drill ensure the finish of the die to be the smoothest possible.
Thus less effort to resize and longer life on the dies and brass.

The same goes with every new gun I got, instead of "breaking in" the barrel, I lap them..

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
roklok

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

I started with 100 rounds of brand new Remington brass. With the new brass, the last .25 inch of ram travel (up stroke) is difficult, and the press handle requires a good tug to break the case free to begin the down stroke of the ram. I have never experienced anything like that with any other dies. It was slightly annoying, but I could live with it. Then I went to resize once fired brass from my rifle, and it was unbelievable the amount of force required. It is difficult for the last .5 inch of ram travel. I actually grab the top of the die sticking out of the press to brace the press to keep from ripping it out of bench as I work the handle. I adjusted the die so that the handle ever so slightly cammed over, barely perceptible. When I have a fired piece of brass in the die, there is approximately 1/16th inch gap between the shell holder and die. The press is actually springing. Yet, it is not because of die contact with shoulder of case, because it is not even resizing the full length of neck. The neck right in front of the shoulder of case is not resized, approximately the same 1/16th inch of the gap between shell holder and die. I think that it must be because the dies are rough inside, not polished like they should be.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

Roklok old mate....as I mentioned earlier....check the specs of your rifle chamber.

As wncchester and Gelan also said...there is an upper and lower limit to tolerances and if you have a chamber at one extreme and a set of dies at the other...well I think the result is pretty obvious to you.

Polish the dies up mate, experiment with different lubes... then weld ya press to the bench and dynabolt the bench to tha floor...should all hold together for ya mate. Laughing (Sorry mate...couldn't resist it Razz ).

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
fnuser

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

The fact that his factory unfired brass is threatening to stick, is an indicator of
1. Lube ?
2. Unpolished Die.?
3. both 1. and 2.?
You never did say what type of lube ya got. Do you have access to try some imperial? fingering some just ahead of the base would probably cure it in combo with flitz or simichrome lapping. If your chambers saami. Is this brass nickel plated?

Arron

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

Another thought is maybe the die is set to low. But as an experienced reloader I would inagine you to be aware of this problem. I basically use opnly use Hornady dies and I LOVE them!!! The rest are well made and I do have other makers die sets but Hornady is my personal preference, and the fact that the Customer Service has been very easy to deal with when I have encountered a problem as well as being about three hours from my home. I consider them to be "local" and I like to stay local if I can.

When I am sizing brass I set the die to where the resize mark starts to touch the point where the shoulder and neck come together just at the point of "cam over" on the ram arm and go no further. So far this has worked for me pretty well. But I also have to trim the brass to a uniform length or else I will crush cases. I sometimes have to do this with new brass, but I am doing this for "my" firearms only.

If you are still having trouble give Hornady a call on the toll free number. Listen to the really good AUDIX message and laugh and then punch in the right numb er and you will most likely get a real person to talk at about your problem adn they will direct you further. Good Luck!!!!

roklok

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

I use RCBS case lube on a pad, have reloaded thousands of rounds in 8 different rifle calibers without a problem using RCBS dies and this lube. The brass is not nickle plated, and yes, it is sticking even before being fired in my rifle. Thanks for all the input, but I have pretty much decided to send the Hornady dies back and order RCBS dies.
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: HORNADY New Dimension Dies Reply with quote

Hornady is one of those few companies who will let you speak to someone that truly knows what their doing and resolve your issues, sorry to hear you won’t be giving them a second chance!!!

Please be sure to give us an update after you receive your new dies.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2