· Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Rifle Scopes
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glockman55

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Has anyone heard much about ATN (American Technologies Network)
4-12X60 LU Rifle Scope?
I'm looking for an adjustable bullet drop scope, and this has that.
a bullet drop compensator 6 interchangeable cams.
The scope cost about $379.00, also comes with 30mm scope rings.
I can't find any store that has them on hand to look at one.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Welcome to the HuntingNut GlockMan55. I haven't heard about that one. I have a buddy that use's a leatherwood scope that does what you want it works off a cam assy, and you calibrate it for a specific cartridge there is a ranging retical and as you turn the power ring you size your target in the retical and the scope raises or lowers on the cam assy as you turn the power ring and eliminates hold over, it's adjustable for quite a few calibers my buddy loves his you can look at them at leatherwood.com.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
glockman55

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Thanks for the info....I'll check that one out.

Jerry

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

I shoulda put this in my post you can buy them for $249 online at www.sportsmanguide.com they also have the scope you mentioned.
Joe

P E T A
popgun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

This is the link for Leatherwood Optics.
Leatherwood Optics
I have used the Leatherwood scope, the original ARTII scope, used on the M-21 sniper system while receiving sniper training at the US Army Marksmanship Unit at Ft. Benning, GA. The system is easy to master and it works. I can't speak for the quality of the current optics because the original ARTII used Redfield Optics (the old company). I have not heard any quality complaints about the new units though. One is on my 'wants list' to go on a Styre Match SSG in 308. I think they currently have two models, a 600/700? m version and a 1200 m version.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Confused I am looking at scopes, as my eyes aren't what they used to be. It will be for my Marlin 45/70 and I was looking for the Redfield "Widefield" but they don't make them anymore I guess. Redfield's site does have one that has a 4 inch eye releif and shows a large field of view, but Simmons offers that too.

Please help me pick the best one for hunting close and dangerous as well as bringing in the 300 yard shot.

Thanks,

Walt

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Shomebigbores, Depending on what is in your price range i would suggest ------------> BURRIS

Why is because quality, and i'm not saying other scope manufactures are sub-standard because i'm not......but by dealing with them and many other scope companies, Burris always took care of me and when push came to shove, knock, bang, it never shook loose (even after dropping it) and taking recoil of a BMG. Plus, i have a problem with my eyes with 'light contrast'......my eyes aren't readily able to recognize some different hues of light. Burris and Horus are the only two companies that i seem not to have one problem with. I guarantee you would be happy Cool

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Howdy Walt i would go with the best you can afford the reason i say this is the 45/70 has a little kick that may rock a cheaper scope and ya said dangerous game you don't need it to fail. Ya may find a redfield widefield on ebay thay have quite a few scopes. I use to have a redfield illuminater 3-9 that worked just fine on a 308. I'm kinda partial to Leupolds though i do have a Nikon BuckMaster 3-9 on my muzzleloader that i have no complaints with and i got a buddy that use's Burris and love's them. There's alot of good scopes out there just get one with a good waranty.
Joe

P E T A
Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

I had a Redfield Widefield in 3>9 with a dot center that held up real well on my 300 Mag. I was just back from overseas when I had the 300 and did a lot of shooting. The Redfield held up real good. Maintained POA for a long time.

Thanks for the help guys. One thing I don't want is to lose my kill zone in a scope with 2 seconds to win or lose.

Walt

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
JO422

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

GlockMan55
Leatherwood is a nice scope and from what I've seen they have really good optics. Burris, Leupold, Horus and Shepherd all make scopes with bullet drop compensation built into the reticles. Only problem with tis is you're pretty much locked into one caliber. Leupold and Burris also make scopes that have bullet drop compensaters. Another good choice is to punch your data into the Point Blank Software, calculate your "come-ups" at different ranges, make a range card for designated ranges and use these figures to move the scope's elevation adjustment. The last way is my personal preference, less to go wrong. I guess that you pay your money and take your choice.

Shomebigbores
Leupold makes a VariXIII in 1.75-6x32mm that has over 4" of eye relief at low power and it still has 3.2" of eye relief at 6X. I'm sure that other manufacturers make something comparable. I have had good luck with Leupold and Burris. I also have an old Redfield Widefield that I bought used and it was probably one of the best purchases I ever made. It's held up great and I know exactly where the bullet is going to go.
popgun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

The quick and dangerous eliminates the high power scopes. The Leupold power in the previous post is the maximum scope you want to use for CFD(Close, Fast, and Dangerous). For thos CFD's you might even be better served with a fixed 1.5 power with a post & crosshair.
The Redfields you mention I assume are the ones that had the TV style view. All they did was cut down on the verticle and horizontal view and did not really give you any wider view than a similar power scope without the TV Mask. Still they are, were, very tough and reliable scopes but the powers offered are too much for the CFD's. Methinks you ask to much of a scope Wink to have one for the CFD's and a 300 yd shot too.
If you can find them the old weaver pivot mounts allowed you to quickly flip the scope out of the way for a fast close shot on a CFD. But with our old eyesight the metal sights are more for looking at than sighting over and through. Yep, the 1.5 fixed or the 1.75-6x32 is a better choice. In fact an old and well experienced hunting friend recomended that I put that Leupold on my 375 H&H. He said "Any more power will get you mauled or killed."

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
glockman55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

JO422 wrote:
GlockMan55
Leatherwood is a nice scope and from what I've seen they have really good optics. Burris, Leupold, Horus and Shepherd all make scopes with bullet drop compensation built into the reticles. Only problem with tis is you're pretty much locked into one caliber. Leupold and Burris also make scopes that have bullet drop compensaters. Another good choice is to punch your data into the Point Blank Software, calculate your "come-ups" at different ranges, make a range card for designated ranges and use these figures to move the scope's elevation adjustment. The last way is my personal preference, less to go wrong. I guess that you pay your money and take your choice.

Shomebigbores
Leupold makes a VariXIII in 1.75-6x32mm that has over 4" of eye relief at low power and it still has 3.2" of eye relief at 6X. I'm sure that other manufacturers make something comparable. I have had good luck with Leupold and Burris. I also have an old Redfield Widefield that I bought used and it was probably one of the best purchases I ever made. It's held up great and I know exactly where the bullet is going to go.
Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

After weighing your advice I have settled on this scope. Leupold. Burris has one similar but the Boone and Crockett big game retical with windage and elevation sold me.

Thanks for your advice.

Walt

VX-III 1.75-6x32mm

Select a Finish & Reticle Style:
Matte/Duplex Matte/Heavy Duplex Matte/Wide Duplex RE

Part No. 57720

Product Specifications
Actual Magnification: 1.9(1.75x) 5.6(6x)
Length (in): 11.23
Eyepiece Length (in): 3.20
Objective Length (in): 2.61
Objective Diameter (in): 1.55
Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.55
Tube Diameter: 1.0in
Weight: 11.2 oz. / 317.5 grams
Eye Relief (in): 4.40(1.75x) 3.20(6x)
Eye Relief (mm): 112(1.75x) 82(6x)
Obj. Lens Diameter: 1.3in / 32mm
Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 55
Max. Adjustment @ 100 m (cm): 153
FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 51.0(1.75x) 17.0(6x)
FOV @ 100 m (m): 17.0(1.75x) 6.4(6x)
Ring Spacing
Max. Mount Ring Spacing
(in): 5.39
Front Ring Space (in): 1.83
Rear Ring Space (in): 2.3

NAVIGATE:
Products Home
Scope Models

Sir Winston Churchill
glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Good choice, the boone & crockett retical is a nice plus to an already top notch scope.

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

Maybe it's me.....don't know......but anything like that heavy of a reticle i'd be weary of having the animal somewhat blocked by the "plex" when under heavier cover Confused

Is it just me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2