Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattyvac
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

I'm looking for bullets which are made for this caliber. Does anyone know who manufactures bullets for the 460 S&W magnum? I'd like to know how many are available to choose.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

I thought any of the bullets made for .45 Cot or .454 Casull would work in the .460 S&W. That's a pretty good variety.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
mattyvac
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

Not all of them. Few are rated for the higher speeds of the 460. I just hoped to avoid buying the wrong ones, and focus on the ones that worked best, if anyone has experience with them.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

I realize that some of the bullets available in .45 cal will be a bit fragile at .460 S&W velocities but they will work in that cartridge. I guess I should have asked what kind of shooting/target you were loading them for. Manufacturers' recommendations are always a good place to start.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
mattyvac
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

I already spoke with Hornady, Speer and Sierra. They have plenty of offerings in the right diameter. This one is definitely not a plinking round, so we can eliminate everything but those bullets designed for hunting big game. That is the main reason they designed this cartridge. I'll need to experiment. I just remember someone mentioning that you can't run just any old bullet and expect good performance in hunting situations. Next stop - call S&W for some advice.
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

Any .451 or .452 caliber bullet will work in the 460 S&W Mag but, as noted above, some are not meant for the velocities obtained in the 460 S&W Mag. I've tried various weights of Speer, Hornady and Barnes bullets in mine and got the best results by far with Hornady 250 gr. SST/ML bullets (muzzle loader bullets) over 2400.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

Grumulkin, now that's interesting! Are those bullets canelured so you can crimp them?

chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

What is the velocity of the 460?

Is the Hornady XTP bullet not strong enough?

I'm looking at my XTP info and it list the velocity range from 1100 -2100 fps. with two bullets:
item # 45220 45 cal 240gr XTP mag
item # 45235 45 cal 300gr XTP mag
I use the 240 gr. in my muzzle loader (about 2000 fps)

The bullet Grumulkin uses list a muzzle velocity of 2250 fps
( 3 Pyrodex or Triple 7 pellets )

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

What bullet do they load in the factory ammo ?????????????????????????????

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

To answer some of the questions above:

1. The bullets aren't cannelured but I shot them in an Encore so it doesn't matter.

2. Hornady XTP bullets are strong enough and I tried them but I got better results with the Hornady SST/ML bullets.

3. The bullet loaded in factory ammo looks suspeciously like Hornady SST/ML bullets at least in the loaded case but I don't really know whether or not they are.
mattyvac
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for pitching in on this question. It's good to have more heads than one.

I'm using an Encore 15" pistol, and rifle with 20" Katahdin ProHunter barrel. I might keep just one, depending upon which shoots better.

I will need to measure the diameter on the SST/ML bullets, of which I have bunches. That would solve lots of my problems for deer type game.
Then my search would continue to find the heavier, tougher bullets suitable for bigger or nastier game like elk, bear and boar.

Barnes seems like nearly the only mfr who makes bullets specifically for high vel handguns.

460 S&W velocity is 2300 with the Barnes 200gr spirepoint. I'm also considering a Hardcast solid.

Someone from Smith actually told me the Hornady XTPs were too lightly constructed for these speeds, most being designed for the much more common but slower rounds like 45ACP.
bawana
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

i've been shooting large caliber handguns long time and deer/wild boar hunt.
loading the 460 with barnes is probably best bet. i load the xpb in 200 and 275 gr. either is good for deer and even for wild boar. i used hornady 300gr xtp and they shoot well. probably good for thicker skinned animals. a 44 mag 629 i use with hornady 300 gr max load for wild boar and that will knock em down, so the 460 is mean. i shot a young buck from tree stand and a 270gr barnes xpb flipped it over. use h110 powder. i'm experimenting with lil gun
mattyvac
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

Thank you all again for help on this topic.

Since my last post, I have decided the .460 S&W is just too spanking powerful for me in the T/C Encore pistol form. Originally, I figured the 15 inch length of the barrel would give me enough overall weight to tame the recoil. No such luck.

I believe honesty is the best policy, and I'd hate myself if anyone ended up being as disappointed as I am. It might discourage people from buying it from me, but I can live with that. The truth is, this set-up is just plain harsh. The recoil after just 11 rounds fired was enough to injure my hand, leaving a sore spot in the web/thumb area for months. I don't like gloves, and don't use them unless hunting in truly cold temps. I plan to sell the barrel, hopefully, to someone much more manly than I.

For those rawhide handed shooters who are interested, it is a super clean factory T/C Encore Stainless 15" standard contour barrel with open sights, in Like New condition, including original packaging. Shot eleven times. Yours For $200, I ship it.

I still plan to keep the ProHunter rifle barrel in 460S&W. It's sweet. But this 460 pistol barrel goes to the brawny dude with the tough hands.
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

I have a friend that got a 460 Encore barrel and he didn't last too long with it either. Of course, I tease him about his recoil intolerance at every opportunity and frequently offer to let him shoot my Encore handgun in 375 H&H Magnum.
mattyvac
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bullets for 460 S&W Magnum Reply with quote

Well, how about that. You're another one who loves Dangerous Game cartridges for use in handguns. My daughter cherishes her 458 Lott Derringer for carrying around in her purse, especially to those high stakes poker games. Who wouldn't? I mean, why bother using a rifle when you can stuff all that punch into a holster or pocket? And it's a no-brainer with the prices the airlines charge for luggage these days. It fits in any suitcase. It's the practical choice for frugal sportsmen.

But even she won't pick up the 460. Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 3