Keeping me occupado
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Keeping me occupado Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:27 pm
    ----
I'm working on my Swedish rolling block, I made a couple of firing pins of a smaller diameter and sent them along with my breach block, to a guy in New Mexico to reface the block and drill out a smaller firing pin hole. He specializes in single shots and had a pretty reasonable price. So while that's all away I'm making a new stock set of myrtle wood. I thought it would be pretty easy to do. The shaping is easier than the letting-in. Had to fudge a bit with some bedding to cover my mistakes but it's working out real nice. I bought a crescent shaped butt plate that was fresh from casting, so I had to finish and polish it. Still not happy with the finishing..... So anyway in the photos you'll see the new butt stock alongside the old one and the barrel placed in the block of wood. The wood will go full length of the barrel. It's let in and bedded at the first few inches of the receiver end. Just have to carve the forestock. The last picture is a 4th of July gift, doesn't everyone want one?

[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]

Suz

#2: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 pm
    ----
Cool Suz! Can't wait to see the finished gun!

#3: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm
    ----
Whoa!!
Thats seriously impressive!!

#4: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 pm
    ----
keep at it and it will be "your rifle" in more ways than one, one to carry with pride.

#5: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:56 am
    ----
You are doing an awesome job there Suz...As Elvis said mate...this rifle will be all yours in more ways than one...and your woodworking skills are very good mate.

Love your pressie mate...a beautifully made bag that will look great in the field when you go hunting.

#6: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:24 am
    ----
Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. All the best...
Gil

#7: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:37 am
    ----
Suz, its going to be great when you are done! You may even get done finishing your rolling block before I get mine complete - and I started before you. Don't let up.

#8: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:25 am
    ----
uh...Vince. I don't think that's a hunting bag.

Suz. Will you be finishing the stock in natural or staining it?

NICE...

#9: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:21 am
    ----
Doing with your own hands is a satisfaction that gold can't buy. Great looking woodwork Suz.

Busyt, maybe hunting bags in Oz are , er, more decorative ;-)

#10: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 pm
    ----
Just wondering: did Stovey teach Suz to hunt for silencers?
If yes, then it could be a hunting bag...

but with wood Suz just keeps on amazing me. I think the secret is time and patience. I'm sure I have much more tools than Suz, but I never risked myself on a new stock...

#11: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 pm
    ----
Very Nice work Suzanne .....

#12: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:48 pm
    ----
I have neither the patience nor the feel to do fine woodwork -
it is obvious to me that Suz has both!

Very nice job!

#13: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:44 pm
    ----
Jeeeeez warmed me right up! Thanks guys, well Bushy I'm going to give it a natural finish to show off the beautiful coloring of the wood. I haven't cut into the forestock just yet but from the outside it shows promise of some nice figuring. Yeah right, it's a hunting bag....hunting for new shoes to match, hunting for Jon at the restaurant, hunting for my nose wipes and ear rings and phone...that sort of hunting bag. I actually screamed when I saw it for the first time, it's so cool, almost as bad as wearing a sheriff's badge. People ask me where I got it and my usual reply is "Isn't it cool!?"

Hey Geland (if you're around here) got any hints on polishing the metal butt pad? It was sand cast and I've gotten past most of the voids by using a flapper type sanding disk that is 180 grit. It's made up of a bunch of one inch wide (or so) strips of sandpaper and it sort of flaps over the surface as it spins (if you know what I mean). Other than that I don't have anything else other than some hard die grinder disks and some rubber wheels that have abrasive.

Suz

#14: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:17 pm
    ----
Good...Myrtle wood is beautiful in it's natural colors.

#15: Re: Keeping me occupado Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:33 pm
    ----
Suz, I would use a rounded (half moon?) file to get all the high spots off then use progression of sanding paper grades from 120, 240, 400, 800, 1200 and 2000 to make the surface.
If you have buffing wheel on a grinder, I think you can start buffing from 800 grit and forget about sanding any finer ones.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions