My boy's antlerless Elk success
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#16: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:31 pm
    ----
Sheesh, butcher said carcass minus innards, head and hide still went 319lbs across his scale. What a huge cow for being that young. I'd say it easily was over 600lbs on the hoof.

Picked up a cheap 5 sqft chest freezer from Lowes last night as our other freezer is stuffed with frozen vegetables and the previous critters. It filled the new freezer right to the top.

-DallanC

#17: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:57 pm
    ----
Uh oh...the Boss Man is stutterin' Laughing

That is one nice cow mate...plenty if meat to fill the freezer...in fact, with all your family's hunting successes this year you shouldn't have to buy any meat for a long long time.

#18: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:50 am
    ----
That will make a lot of jerky Very Happy Very Happy

#19: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:35 am
    ----
I'd really like to play around with making sausage, never done that before.

-DallanC

#20: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:39 am
    ----
DallanC wrote:

-DallanC

I recently got a smoker and have done one batch of snack sticks they came out great Very Happy I make jerky all the time . I cant make fast enough for my boy Very Happy but I'm out of deer meat Sad so our early muzzleloader opens next week hopefully I can start stocking the freezer

#21: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:03 pm
    ----
Dallan wrote:

Check out this website Dallan...

Venison Sausage

Do you have to go into a ballot for tags for the early muzzleloader season Joe? Time to go get some mate.

#22: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:29 pm
    ----
Ven Bangers are easy to do...once you have a mincer with attachment , find a recipe that looks to your taste and make small batch of sausage meat then fry as meat balls and tootoo with it till you get taste right THEN do a large mix up to stuff into caseings .

#23: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:40 am
    ----
Vince wrote:

Do you have to go into a ballot for tags for the early muzzleloader season Joe? Time to go get some mate.

No draw or ballet .. One buck and ten does allowed for muzzleloader season Very Happy

#24: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:08 am
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
One buck and ten does allowed for muzzleloader season

shrpshtrjoe, there must be a real imbalance in the deer herd for the ratio to be so lopsided.

#25: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:04 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
One buck and ten does allowed for muzzleloader season

shrpshtrjoe, there must be a real imbalance in the deer herd for the ratio to be so lopsided.

Its the same for archery and firearms . Its different for some county's there are two main "regions" A and B and they have different bag limits. After two doe are taken a second "bonus" tag for another buck can be purchased and used in any of the seasons..

#26: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:56 am
    ----
My question for Joe is, "do you have a spare bedroom?" hehehe.

People would think out west in the USA we have huge amounts of wildlife but for the most part, its not as much as people would expect. the number of hunters far outweigh the number of hunting tags that can be given out... its not uncommon to wait 2 or 3 even 3 years to get a *single* deer tag.

My wife didnt draw a deer tag this year. You can put in for harder hunts with better odds, such as Archery and Muzzleloader. We have "trophy" area's which give out a much more limited amount of tags but the draw odds on some of those are so bad it can take 20 years or more to draw the best units.

My wife got lucky to draw that Mt Goat tag, 17 years of applying. She stands a great chance to draw a semi-trophy deer area in the next 2 years (where I got my huge deer).

But sadly, as wierd as it seems... we dont have near the deer hunting opportunities as those who live back east. I wish they would transplant some whitetails here but there are those that think it will only reduce Mule Deer populations (I doubt that... mulies like to live up high in the Mts, dont see many whitetails that live at high elevations in other states).

-DallanC

#27: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:36 am
    ----
Come on over buddy Very Happy Very Happy Plenty of room.. Finding land to hunt is the biggest problem around here.. Some public land but it can get crowded. No one wants to "give permission " any more its all about money Sad So we got a new lease this year i'm hoping it's a good one Smile it's about a hour drive hopefully its worth it..

#28: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:30 pm
    ----
Must say we are plenty lucky in some way here in Oz, we have no bag number for ferals in public ground.
OTOH often you do not find any of them anyway.

#29: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:17 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Vince wrote:

No draw or ballet .. One buck and ten does allowed for muzzleloader season Very Happy

That's a real bonus mate. Is the muzzleloader season species specific, or are all deer species fair game?

#30: Re: My boy's antlerless Elk success Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:52 pm
    ----
Vince, our deer in the US are pretty much are regional. Whitetails in the East and Mule deer in the West. There are some other deer species in small regions. There are some places in West Texas where there are a limited number of Mule deer overlapping with the Whitetails. In those areas, the seasons are different. I was hunting whitetails when a good size Mule Buck bedded down 300 yards from me. All's I could do was watch.

-> Big Game Hunting