Annual pheasant hunt
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: Annual pheasant hunt Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:56 am
    ----
The next two days will be devoted to my annual pheasant hunt. It takes place on a private shooting ground that raises pheasants, has dog handlers and great English Springer Spaniels. My neighbor and two good friends will round out the hunting party. Two years ago we started this tradition. Last year I took my nephew who is 43 on his first pheasant hunt and watched him take his first bird on the wing. Sadly, this may be our last hunt on the property because the place is shutting down because the owner is retiring. All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Annual pheasant hunt Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 pm
    ----
Good luck with your hunt Gil...I would love to hunt pheasant one day.

Is the property owner selling the shooting ground/property mate? If he is, and the price is within reach, maybe yourself and your mates could all chip in together and purchase the place. Install the current owner as a caretaker at a nominal rent and then you have unfettered access. You could even look at covering costs by charging other shooters for access. Food for thought mate.

#3: Re: Annual pheasant hunt Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 pm
    ----
they are tasty wee critters too,go get em Gil.

#4: Re: Annual pheasant hunt Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 pm
    ----
Vince,
The hunting preserve owner wants to retain ownership of the property. It contains 600 acres of land and raises 20,000 birds a year. The dog handlers are devastated about losing there jobs. This place is fabulous,

Elvis,
My three friends and I shot 20 birds yesterday afternoon amid gale-force winds. This morning we shot another 20 birds in 73 minutes in the field. The dog work was incredible from English Springer Spaniels.

All the best...
Gil

#5: Re: Annual pheasant hunt Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm
    ----
that would be great to see,the dog handlers would be stoked to have that much work for the dogs.
gale force winds sounds like time to put in some #4 shot or even #3s ....just dont try for a close bird...... the few we have shot the bigger pellets go right through so you dont get pellets in the meat..... they tell me it gets frowned upon as "its not the done thing dont you know" trying for a fast moving high flyer at 50 yards I know which load I would prefer

-> Small Game Hunting