Casting mould wanted
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Casting mould wanted Author: delboyLocation: London England PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
Hey Chris - or anyone out there - I am looking for a round ball mould in .22 calibre. Do you know if such an animal exists? Also, any idea what the BC of a round ball would come out at? Thanks.
Del.

#2: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:03 pm
    ----
I don't see a mold less than .308 in my catalogs from Lee, Lyman, etc. It looks like you would have to have a mold custom machined. As for bc I don't know. One of those things you have to fire over a cronograph to see. Plus, a round ball does not conform to the G1 factor used in PointBlank. It's one of the other G factors especially for round balls.

#3: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:05 pm
    ----
delboy wrote:
Hey Chris - or anyone out there - I am looking for a round ball mould in .22 calibre. Do you know if such an animal exists? Also, any idea what the BC of a round ball would come out at? Thanks.
Del.
Make one...... Very Happy

#4: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:32 pm
    ----
The smallest mould I am aware of is a .235" by Lyman.Dixie Gun Works offers blank moulds for creating your own size but I am not sure how you would go about this without a machine shop.

#5: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:54 am
    ----
popgun wrote:
I don't see a mold less than .308 in my catalogs from Lee, Lyman, etc. It looks like you would have to have a mold custom machined. As for bc I don't know. One of those things you have to fire over a cronograph to see. Plus, a round ball does not conform to the G1 factor used in PointBlank. It's one of the other G factors especially for round balls.

You can find them but they are for lead weights and not LRB for shooting.
They weigh only 16 grains when they are pure lead and less for wheel weight or tin allows. If you load them at velocities that won't destroy them You can't get much hunting done. The BC of round balls depends on their diameter. The smaller the ball the lower the BC. It also decreases with velocities up to 2200 fps and then will start to increase (slightly) at velocities above that. The pure lead will tear itself apart before you reach the velocity that the BC begins to increase (hypersonic).
At realistic velocities - 1200 to 2000 fps you can use these 16 grain balls to hunt ground squirrels to a full size squirrel or medium sized rat. At extremely close range you might kill a cat (house cat) if it was placed just right but you have to wonder how accurate the small balls will be when they tend to climb up and left or up and right depending on the rifling twist direction.
It is a lot more fun to use LRB in a 36 caliber rifle - at least then you are shooting a 22 equivalent - 40 grains at 1200 fps

#6: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: delboyLocation: London England PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:15 am
    ----
Rifling is not an issue Paul, it's a smoothbore! I would have guesstimated the weight of a ball at something around 25 grains, I have air rifle pellets that weigh 18! (have tried them with a blank behind them too!)

#7: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:09 am
    ----
delboy wrote:
Del.

[url= Click here: CAST BULLET ENGINEERING Bullet Moulds ]Web Page Name[/url]

delboy, you could drop Jim an email at CBE and ask if he does anything like a .22 ball. I have had one of his brass moulds and it was great.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am
    ----
I'll have another try.

www.castbulletengineer...sting.com/

Try this one delboy.

Cheers, Vince

#9: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: delboyLocation: London England PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:05 am
    ----
Thanks Vince, I'll get on to him soonest. Let you know how I do.

#10: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:04 am
    ----
delboy wrote:
Rifling is not an issue Paul, it's a smoothbore! I would have guesstimated the weight of a ball at something around 25 grains, I have air rifle pellets that weigh 18! (have tried them with a blank behind them too!)

Delboy,

I have both calculated the weight of the 22 cal LRB and looked it up in a reference manual (Hodgdon's 25th data manual, pg 519) and come up with this:

.22 inch dia LRB = 16 (15.97)
.225 in dia LRB = 17.5 (17.46)
.23 inch dia LRB = 18 (18.2)
.24 inch dia LRB = 20.7 (20.73)

I suggest that you re-guess your projectile weight. Pellets are larger than round balls. Without rifling to twist the ball your accuracy is going to be non-existant. The small balls will wobble around in the air like a knuckle ball does. Even at extremely short ranges the pellets are unlikely to even produce a "pattern". I wish you well on your venture but the whole reason for the success of rifled bores is the inadequacy of balls that don't spin to stabilize them.

I just have to ask; what are you hoping for?

#11: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: delboyLocation: London England PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:52 pm
    ----
Basically Paul, I am trying to make a cross between an air rifle and a rifle. A friend who I shoot with in South Africa has a Ruger 10/22 which, with a silencer, is the quietest gun I have ever heard. The loudest bit about it is the click of the action when you pull the trigger and the snick of the bolt when chambering another round. I have a shotgun licence and am restricted to smoothbore weapons in England, so I got this crappy little .22 Anschutz that has had the rifling stripped out of it - thus making it legal for me to own and use. I have also got some .22 shotshells which are devastating on a mouse at 5 feet, but not much further. I figured to empty the 30 grains of #12 shot (dust) out of them and replace it with a more robust shot size - keeping to the 30 grains. Then I figured, what if I put a single .22 ball in one.................. Hmmm. Why not just get a rifle? Getting a licence over here is a bitch, especially if you don't live in the countryside. I have a RIGHT to own a shotgun but a rifle is a PRIVILEGE that must be earned and showing good reason for NEEDING one is just one of the qualifications necessary.

#12: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:19 pm
    ----
Ok, England explains it all!
My brother and I did some work with 12 and 20 ga shotguns using LRB with different "tails" made from nylon, wool, and cotton to get them to fly straight but in a 22 caliber you have problems putting a tail in place.
Are you by chance a machinist or have access to a small lathe? A good drill would work if you are handy making small metal parts with a drill and drills, files and such.
A steel cup with thin walls and a lead tip would be a good "dart" type of slug that would fly straighter than a lead ball. The steel cup would be open at the back and the lead tip moulded to the cup in any shape you liked would be more dynamically stable than a slug from a standard shotgun. If you kept the overall weight down to 35 grains or so it should shoot well from a 22 smoothbore. ???? OK, I have some reservations about it but it looks good on paper - sort of.
I may try to draw it up on my CAD program and see what would be involved in making these projectiles. Might even see if one could use lead wire - but I think pure lead would just blow the skirt off the projectile.

#13: Re: Casting mould wanted Author: SpacedoneLocation: missouri PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:00 pm
    ----
split shot fishing sinkers come in 22 caliber. i have several friends shooting them and ringing a gong at 100 yards

-> Reloading Ammunition