Greetings from a new member
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:11 am
    ----
Hmmm, is Vince the Wizard of "Oz"??

#17: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:18 am
    ----
Haha Haha

Not likely mate. I'm just an easy going type of a cove. Much rather be easy going than snarly. Anyway....I'm a lover, not a fighter...in fact, I won my last fight by 300 yds and 4 back fences. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#18: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: c404Location: christchurch, new zealand PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:13 am
    ----
Cheers Vince. Someone said you like Tooheys Old? Not a bad drop at all.
Dont believe any New Zealander when he says they make beer here.... it is all dishwater, I am a beer man and have not found one beer in my time here that can compete with , say XXXX, VB or even Two Eyes Old.
Having said that, it is all here in the supermarkets, and is cheaper than I could buy at home. So its all good. And we can shoot here without bleeding hearts complaining.
Best wishes.

#19: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: c404Location: christchurch, new zealand PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:24 am
    ----
Vince just saw your post. I am from Tamworth originally, then a long and tortuous journey thru Western Qld and the NT and then Asia for the last 15 years. I have decided on NZ because it is like the Oz we knew when we were kids. ie as Life should be.
It is a place where Whitlam never put his hand. And as such, has remained as a Commonwealth country should be.

#20: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 am
    ----
Damn mate...I'm jealous. I miss the Australia of old.

I remember doing things with Dad that today would have you behind bars.

Ah, Tamworth...lovely place, although can get a bit nippy during Winter. Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#21: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: c404Location: christchurch, new zealand PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:06 am
    ----
Yes Vince some of the things we got up to in those days.....
I remember a trip up to a place near Walgett, and it required driving thru the Pilliga Scrub, and about a carton of Tooheys if I remember correctly. Well it was my turn to drive and being a fit young apprentice electrician did not hesitate to take the wheel of the old EJ (1963 I think?) Holden.
So roaring along with the road at 90mph with the wrong kind of beveridge in hand we find a forgotton 90 degree bend. Dirt road, night, 1963 lights, beer.....well we spun around into that forest about 6 times and didnt hit a tree! It took me a long time to get back to the road because I had to do a whole lot of 3 point turns and a shakier hand never held a long neck when we finally hit the road! Still...a lesson learned and it was never repeated and we even got a few pigs on that trip.

#22: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:13 pm
    ----
Reckon I miss my old country too..
Hmm Anker beer..

err.. oh yeah.. sorry! where's my manner..

WELCOME c404 ..

#23: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: phill21Location: Western Australia PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:21 am
    ----
C404 welcome i just got back from NZ the main land area Smile love the gunshops over there they sell 7 08, 243, 308 off the shelf fully fitted with silencers oops! sorry noise moderators and i even found the new Mossberg 243 with full barrel silencer there. Very Happy

phil

#24: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:31 am
    ----
Suppressors phill21. Suppressors.....

#25: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: phill21Location: Western Australia PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:02 pm
    ----
Ahh sorry bushy Suppressors..... Embarassed i knew that
phil

#26: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: c404Location: christchurch, new zealand PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:31 am
    ----
Thanks again for the greetings guys. The last couple of posts have led me to ask the question re suppressors?
Yes as Phil21 mentioned here, these devices are sold over the counter in NZ for all sorts of firearms, but my question is.......How much difference do they make for a centrefire hunting cartridge in a practical hunting situation? I would assume you have to load a round so under powered it wont go supersonic?
I have heard .22s used with a suppressor and really it wasnt a lot of difference unless sub sonic rounds were used. So if I was using my 308win and it was loaded subsonic, what could I expect ballistically?
I think it would have to be a VERY quiet round that wouldnt scare game , and realistically, an animal is normally pretty confused after a near miss and that gives you time to have a second shot in most cases.
Like to know your views.

#27: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:50 pm
    ----
C404,

Unless the round is subsonic it will not be quiet will just lower the signature a dozen or 2 dozen decibels.

Dimitri

#28: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:13 pm
    ----
I'm not sure that game spook all that bad at the sound of a shot. When I killed that little tree in my picture there the doe standing about 20 yards behind it didn't run. She and the bunch she was with just looked around and walked back the way they'd come in.

#29: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: phill21Location: Western Australia PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:00 am
    ----
c404 after talking with the gunsmiths and shooters over in NZ they all agree that the only realy reliable suppressor is a full barrel suppressor like the one on the new Mossbergs.
My son has one for his CZ .22 rifle and it muffles the firing of the rifle well but the supersonic crack of the round sort of defeats the purpose.

phil

#30: Re: Greetings from a new member Author: c404Location: christchurch, new zealand PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:05 am
    ----
Hi Phil yep that's what I was getting at. ie the attraction of people getting these suppresors put on large calibre rifles and then having to load them down so much they were subsonic....well it doesnt make much sense to me at all.

-> General