mauser rifles
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:46 pm
    ----
The "lug" just behind the Extractor as well as alot of other stuff make this a 1903.

#17: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:52 pm
    ----
alot of these suffered at the hands of amatuer gunsmiths and the markings were defaced using a buffing wheel. yours looks like one made later as the rear bridge looks like it may be flat and could have a dovetail, the bottom metal looks like its milled not stamped if that is the case the bottom metal was robbed from an earlier model.

#18: Re: mauser rifles Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:54 pm
    ----
I’ve got very little knowledge on this subject!!! But.............Didn’t Mausers have claw extractors ???

#19: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:00 pm
    ----
You're right both times, the extractor on a 1903 is a claw as well the "lug" I was refering to is visible behind that long leaf springy thing in the first picture.

#20: Re: mauser rifles Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:03 pm
    ----
Angle of the bolt handle and the firing pin stud is what told me that was a M1903. The M1903 is distinctive in that way, as when the American's copied the Mauser action, just like the British they changed it to suit their needs instead of buying the patterns that Mauser was making for Germany and every other company in the world.

Dimitri

#21: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:05 pm
    ----
Maybe but I've seen mexican mausers with a similiarly shaped striker and bolt handles get changed alot on sporters.

#22: Re: mauser rifles Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:11 pm
    ----
Similar but not identical.

Dimitri

#23: Re: mauser rifles Author: kentucky hareraiserLocation: kentucky PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:14 pm
    ----
alright WICKY,,,, your plan worked .the heat on them worked. i used the hair dryer like you said and they still would'nt budge .however,once they cooled they were no problem taking out. and DIMITRI ,there was no thread-loc on them but that was my thought at first too.was'nt even thread-loc on the scope base either ,but there will be and fnuser you were right too,was'nt a german military mauser.. so everyone ,thank's,, i knew with all the experienced marksman on here i'd find out how to get the screws out. now for whqt i found out :::: the rifle is a US REMINGTON 03-A3 so now what's it worth do y'all think. NOW''' i have another question,under the front scope mpont where the name was ,there was a shim 1/32 or so thick .what would be it's purpose and would i really need to replace it?

#24: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:14 pm
    ----
You have to admit though the "lug" on the same plane as the bolt handle that falls ahead of the rear bridge is much more difinitive. As I have also seen strikers modified or completely ground off to decrease locktime.

Last edited by fnuser on Mon May 18, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#25: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 pm
    ----
If you're going to use the the same scope probably so. the other option would be burris offset rings that would turn into that base. but the only real test would be to shoot it

#26: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:19 pm
    ----
some modern scopes have alot of elevation adjustment and that may resolve your problem the leu vxIII 1.5-5x comes to mind I cured one that way.

#27: Re: mauser rifles Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:21 pm
    ----
The shim was more than likely put in to deal with a limited amount of scope adjustment or to correct a alignment issue from the factory.

Pre64 Winchester model 70’s were notorious for needing shims.

#28: Re: mauser rifles Author: kentucky hareraiserLocation: kentucky PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:21 pm
    ----
MAN,, y'all are tuff as hell when it comes to knowin' your guns . thank's everyone for your help and advice . as usual ,i'm not a bit let down in the replies i got. HUNTING NUT still remains #1 in my book.. thank's all

#29: Re: mauser rifles Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:24 pm
    ----
Pre 64 mod 70 another claw.

#30: Re: mauser rifles Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 pm
    ----
Sure is !!! Familiar with that one !!! I wasn’t able to see it in the pic KH posted.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions