44 year old dies a violent death.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: SavagenutLocation: S.W. Michigan PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 am
    ----
Yes he was young to a degree. He suffered a violent death in the hands of my son on September 25 2009 at 3:23 pm on a beautifull cloudless day, that was when he fired his last shot! Thank God my son was wearing saftey glasses hearing protection and gloves. Vintage 1965 Ruger model 44, 44 magnum rifle semi automatic that shot 1-1/4 inch groups all day long at 100 yards malfunctioned and blew the reciever up in his hands, splitting the stock, the reciever housing and curling the reciever bolt slide.
The funeral consisted of the family paying its final respects with glue and a hacksaw. The friend of many years now resides in its final resting spot a place of promenance over our fire place, non-functional, but never the less a hunting companion and a never forgotten friend...

#2: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 am
    ----
wtf .........you need help!!!

#3: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:26 am
    ----
Did you determine a cause of death?

#4: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:18 am
    ----
Double charge. Mad

Sorry for the loss, those were cool rifles.

#5: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: SavagenutLocation: S.W. Michigan PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 am
    ----
Firing pin was stuck causing a early death. Kinda hard to double charge a 44 mag case with 800x but it was'ntmblew rear half of case off did discharge the bullet down range and left the other half of the case in the throat. No don't need help Just miss the rifle had it for 25 years

#6: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 pm
    ----
I like IMR's stuff...800X too. A double of that would make a mess and be hard to miss.

Still, a drag that shooter is gone.

#7: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:04 pm
    ----
Commiserations Savage...not familiar with that particular rifle...but to hear of any old rifle passing hurts.

I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand how a stuck firing pin could cause a catastrophic failure such as you had though. Confused

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:12 pm
    ----
"I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand how a stuck firing pin could cause a catastrophic failure such as you had though."

Yeah, me too. Maybe some pics are in order?? wtf

#9: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:08 pm
    ----
The Ruger 44 is a semi-automatic rifle. If the firing pin gets stuck, or if it flys forward before the bolt (common in military arms), the rifle will actually ignite the primer before the bolt locks.

This is called a "Out of Battery Fire" and they are common with military rifles and older commercial semi-automatics.

Dirt or grease in the firing pin hole, pieces of the previous primer getting stuck in the hole, military "free-floating" firing pins that will slam forward before the bolt, burrs on the firing pin that make it stay out instead of come back in with the spring.

Dimitri

#10: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
The Ruger 44 is a semi-automatic rifle. If the firing pin gets stuck, or if it flys forward before the bolt (common in military arms), the rifle will actually ignite the primer before the bolt locks.

This is called a "Out of Battery Fire" and they are common with military rifles and older commercial semi-automatics.

Dirt or grease in the firing pin hole, pieces of the previous primer getting stuck in the hole, military "free-floating" firing pins that will slam forward before the bolt, burrs on the firing pin that make it stay out instead of come back in with the spring.

Dimitri
I hear what your saying, but some machine pistols used a fixed firing pin for full auto fire with what you just described. They fire from an "open bolt" and to stop the fire the bolt is held to the rear. Like I said, I really want to see pics, just out of curosity.

#11: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:47 pm
    ----
Machine Pistols that fire from open bolts do not use such high power ammunition and they have return springs that are much stiffer to allow the bolt to go back slower then what a "normal" semi-automatic rifle would have to aid in the slow release of the bolt backwards.

Dimitri

#12: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:27 pm
    ----
So how do you explain the case failure???

#13: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:41 pm
    ----
Case failer is common when you get a out of battery fire.

Because the case is not supported, you get case expansion at the point where the case is somewhat supported, and where it is not supported. This shears off the material kind of like a reverse shearing operation from the inside out. Which causes the case head seperation.

Its one of the reason Glocks with their not totally supported chambers are so hard on brass. The company designed it to work with virgin ammunition good for the first time and did not consider reloading as a primary factor as the pistols primary intention was the LE market which uses factory ammunition only.

Dimitri

#14: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:19 pm
    ----
I don’t know D !!! It would seem to me that the case would have been pushed into the chamber and once seated coming to a halt would have been when ignition would have occurred.

By the way, I know of two Glock 40cals and a 9mm that fired out of battery..........none of them had a case failure nor were the guns destroyed in the process!!!

#15: Re: 44 year old dies a violent death. Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:55 pm
    ----
What are you shooting through there TNT?

-> General