Elk hunt
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Elk hunt Author: slots918 PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:00 pm
    ----
Very Happy Well its that time of year again already, Elk Regs get posted online December 16 (or there abouts) and I can put in for the draw Very Happy
This year they are going to offer Bull tags in Sept and Oct, rut time guess I know what I want for Christmas.
Now to make up what little mind I have left and decide to put in for the primo hunt or play the odds to get drawn Confused Whatcha all think Smile Misc Very Happy

Last edited by slots918 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Elk hunt Author: robfromaz1977Location: Arizona's White Mountains PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:38 pm
    ----
I think I am going to put in for the premo archery bull hunts 1st and 2nd choice. I say if you want a good tag it is worth the wait even if the odds are better for a lesser quality tag. I made the mistake of burning my bonus points on a limited opportunity cow hunt a few years ago. Luckily on the last day I shot the only cow I had seen the entire hunt. Good luck to you on whatever you decide to put in for.

#3: Re: Elk hunt Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:54 pm
    ----
Hunting bulls during the rut is just plain as exciting as it can get. Very Happy

#4: Re: Elk hunt Author: centerfire PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:33 pm
    ----
Yep, hunting Elk in the rut is as good as it gets.
Don't forget Moose hunting in the rut is a blast too.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year!!!

#5: Re: Elk hunt Author: SavagenutLocation: S.W. Michigan PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 pm
    ----
Well gonna do it again just recieved the license and tags for elk this october in Idaho yahoooooooo!

#6: Re: Elk hunt Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm
    ----
Savagenut wrote:
Well gonna do it again just recieved the license and tags for elk this october in Idaho yahoooooooo!
Idaho is a great place to hunt. The North Fork of the Clearwater is one of my favorites. Good Luck on your tags. Very Happy

Last edited by moose2 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: Elk hunt Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 pm
    ----
Savagenut, are you going to hunt with a .308?

#8: Re: Elk hunt Author: SavagenutLocation: S.W. Michigan PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 pm
    ----
Yes slimjim, Savage FP110 P/T in .308. Going to be hunting the Lolo area moose2 sections 10,12 have hunted there before with sucess, hoping it repeats but there has been a decline in the cow population over the last three years of 13% or greater we'll see. Got a wolf tag also but will have to keep tabs on the harvest it's limited to 27 for the area. Oh by the way slim friend who hunts in Idaho in the Palouse area 5 for 5 on Elk with a .308. Shot placement, Shot placement, Shot placement excellence in exicution.......

#9: Re: Elk hunt Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 pm
    ----
Savagenut wrote:
Savage FP110 P/T in .308.

What bullet do you use? Do you handload?

#10: Re: Elk hunt Author: SavagenutLocation: S.W. Michigan PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:44 pm
    ----
Hand load everything I shoot Slim. 308 45acp 357maximum 7.62x39 and the list goes on. As far as the 308 goes taking two different rounds with me going early to shoot a couple to make sure because where I shoot the mean elevation is only 748' above sea level average where I'll be hunting is around 6000'. There is not much of a difference in the bullet drop out to 400 yards after that the difference increases 1 inch per fifty yards. Primary is a Berger 185gr VLD in a nosler case charged with 40.2gr of N140 pushing it downrange at 2374 fps according to the crony, good out to 400 yards according to Pointblank taylor ko. Secondary Berger 210gr same brass 43gr of H414 pushing it out at 2286 heavier, slower, gained 100 yards on the taylor scale. Been at the range shooting 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water at 400 500 and 600 yards on stands at about 24" to center on the jug vital area on a elk is 14 to 15 inches in area 22 to 26 inches below the shoulder hump hit the milk jug dead elk. Have heard reports of elk dropped with 150gr bullets but I'm not taking that chance.....

#11: Re: Elk hunt Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:32 am
    ----
Good luck with your Elk hunt Nutster....make that there Savage hum mate and bring home the meat.

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: Elk hunt Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:12 pm
    ----
Holy smokes that would be a sleepless night before the hunt for me...for sure!

#13: Re: Elk hunt Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:07 pm
    ----
Savagenut wrote:
Primary is a Berger 185gr VLD in a nosler case charged with 40.2gr of N140 pushing it downrange at 2374 fps

I've been very please with the 150gr Berger VLD in my 270 Win. It is very accurate, leaves the muzzle at 2875 fps, and due to its low drag BC carries well at the longer ranges. I haven't used it for hunting yet though.

#14: Re: Elk hunt Author: metz3601 PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:12 pm
    ----
moose2 wrote:
Idaho is a great place to hunt. The North Fork of the Clearwater is one of my favorites. Good Luck on your tags. Very Happy

Spend much time up in the Clearwater moose??? I loved it up there, used to live in Pierce ID, bout 80 miles from Lewiston back in my younger days... that place pretty much is where i developed about all of my hunting skills and passions....

#15: Re: Elk hunt Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm
    ----
Savagenut its great to see someone who takes the time to know where the bullets gunna go. I also approve of the 2 load idea. I have a good knock about load that normaly gets fired and gets my animal. and a carefully loaded round or three that I know group real well to do the biz out further. best of luck guys n gals . look forward to seeing some photos.

-> Big Game Hunting