Pack hunting
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Pack hunting Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:23 pm
    ----
So I am getting everything gathered together so that I can pack hunt next fall in Eastern Oregon for mule dear. By pack hunt I mean I will be doing a lot of walking and will have a pack to carry supplies and pack the dear out with. So I am trying to put together a list of supplies that are necessary for use when hunting and tending to game as well as emergency use, survival and such. I am not sure if this subject has been addressed in the forums but I was unable to find it if so. So I am asking all to take a look and give your input on the subject.

#2: Re: Pack hunting Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:26 pm
    ----
I'd recommend buying a book on packing in and hunting. As you read it make your list. I was planning on walkie talkies and leaving one with someone who knew I was gone, first aid kit, water filtration, and GPS for starters.

#3: Re: Pack hunting Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:31 pm
    ----
are you over nighting or just day trips?

#4: Re: Pack hunting Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:47 pm
    ----
I am just day tripping however I am trying to put my pack together with things that will keep me sustained if I get hurt, lost or in a situation where I need supplies.
I have a pack coming with a hydration bladder (2 Quart)
my next on list to get is:
Coleman folding saw
purification tablets
Wooden matches with a dry match case
compass
Snake Bite kit
Small LED flashlights (x2)
Wistle
Orenge flagging ribbon
Honing steal
50ft of thin nylon rope (550 Cord)

#5: Re: Pack hunting Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 pm
    ----
I found this site that might give you some clues HERE it's a forum where they put together 'bug-out' packs and show and talk about what they bring along for 'just in case' scenarios. They cover everything from survival equipment to food. You don't have to join just read and I'm sure you're answers will be easily found.

Suz

#6: Re: Pack hunting Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:02 pm
    ----
Cool site

#7: Re: Pack hunting Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:16 pm
    ----
Thanks, Suz! Book marked another one!

#8: Re: Pack hunting Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:21 pm
    ----
pack cotents
lunch
snackfoods eg scroggin
chockolate
barley sugars
water
camera etc in h2o proof container
plastic bags enough to contain cloths that you dont want bloody
meat bags (pillow cases are great if you can sneakem past the misses)
cellphone in h2o proof case
rain coat/warm cloths/hat n gloves
in bum/fanny bag
pocket knife x2
steel
ammo
cigarete lighter
gps n compass n map
matches n striker in film canaster
panadol and antihistamene in canister.

#9: Re: Pack hunting Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:37 pm
    ----
I glad you explained that I was wondering how much hot sauce it would take for me to eat a pack.

#10: Re: Pack hunting Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:33 pm
    ----
tlo7mm wrote:
So I am getting everything gathered together so that I can pack hunt next fall in Eastern Oregon for mule dear. By pack hunt I mean I will be doing a lot of walking and will have a pack to carry supplies and pack the dear out with. So I am trying to put together a list of supplies that are necessary for use when hunting and tending to game as well as emergency use, survival and such. I am not sure if this subject has been addressed in the forums but I was unable to find it if so. So I am asking all to take a look and give your input on the subject.
#1 advise-get a horse!
What part of God's country are you planning to go into?I grew up over there and would still be there if it were'nt for trying to spawn with a fish that was already dead.There is a lot of EO to contend with,ie;desert,high mountain,deep forest,open prarie,thin forest,deep canyons,and any combination of the above!Sometimes that will determine what to bring along! Confused

#11: Re: Pack hunting Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:42 pm
    ----
TRBLSHTR wrote:
trying to spawn with a fish that was already dead.

Jaw Drop

#12: Re: Pack hunting Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm
    ----
Yeah....... what the what? Shocked So he got caught doin nastys with a dead fish? wtf That is trouble. Should have made some introductions to some sheep instead, Very Happy lots of them out there. Not that I condone that sort of thing, but a stinky dead fish? Crying or Very sad At least it was dead.....no.....at least nothin! Mad It's all wrong...wrong, wrong, wrong! He needs to trblshoot himself!

Suz

#13: Re: Pack hunting Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 pm
    ----
" but a stinky dead fish?"

Suz[/quote]

Suz-FYI;this is the most appropriate description that I could come up with for my 1st ex(unsignificant other old lady).I'm not appoligizing either!

#14: Re: Pack hunting Author: okiephilLocation: Norman, Oklahoma PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:29 am
    ----
look up how to make a " Penny Stove " on the net, they are a fun project, minimum wieght for packing, great for boiling water, cooking.

-> Big Game Hunting